The Student Room Group

Text Language

Who else has a strong hate for people who write in text language when they're writing an email, or writing on this forum for example? People do it in letters too and I would say it's so much harder to write in text language than it is to write in normal words! I would say the only excuse one might find for writing in text language, is of course, in text messages themselves! Who else agrees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No! We should all use obscure impossible to read/write languages!
In fact, txt jst isnt obfsctd engh, we shd use lt:

M4/\/ \_/ !$ $\_/c/-/ /\ />£/)/\/\/t !!111!!11eleventyeleven

/££t rls!

---------- end sarcasm ------------

on the other hand, I wholly agree. Much better that we can all understand each other.
Reply 2
rich_
Who else has a strong hate for people who write in text language when they're writing an email, or writing on this forum for example? People do it in letters too and I would say it's so much harder to write in text language than it is to write in normal words! I would say the only excuse one might find for writing in text language, is of course, in text messages themselves! Who else agrees?

Totally agree! I dont have a problem with text talk, but it should only be in text messages where it BELONGS! Its so difficult to read some messages on here that are in text talk, some of the stuff is very confusing! It always seems to be the same people using it too.

Translation for those that can only understand text talk: :wink:

tlly agree! i dnt hv a prob wiv txt tlk but shud only b in txt msgs were it belongs.so dificult 2 read sum msgs on ere in txt tlk, v confusin. always sms 2be da same ppl 2.
L.J
Agreed. I don't understand half the words and I use predictive text which means I don't even use "txt speak" or however it's spelt.
yes, it's spelt 'txt' :rolleyes:
Reply 4
I don't even use 'txt spk' in text messages. Mine are all perfectly spelt and punctuated!
Reply 5
leona
I don't even use 'txt spk' in text messages. Mine are all perfectly spelt and punctuated!

Same. Still, I'm fast beginning to feel like a living, breathing anachronism.
Reply 6
Same. Text speak is certainly a pet hate. If there's a post on here in text speak I just skip it; I can't be bothered to try and decipher it!
Reply 7
supercat
Same. Text speak is certainly a pet hate. If there's a post on here in text speak I just skip it; I can't be bothered to try and decipher it!

Same with me really. I mean, are they actually proud of having chav traits??
Reply 8
It can be really annoying when its un needed!
Reply 9
i dont use txt speek in messages, unless im running out of space.

i sent a really bad one the other day
Reply 10
Good old predictive text in phones makes understanding messages so much easier; I love it. Except yes when I'm running out of space and I have to condense everything...
Yes, completely agree. Very very annoying. And all my friends do it too... :rolleyes: it just takes me twice as long to write something in text language compared to writing it normally anyway.
Reply 12
Excalibur
Yes, completely agree. Very very annoying. And all my friends do it too... :rolleyes: it just takes me twice as long to write something in text language compared to writing it normally anyway.

Exactly. Plus my sister does it on paper too and in birthday and christmas cards! :eek:
Reply 13
rich_
Exactly. Plus my sister does it on paper too and in birthday and christmas cards! :eek:
That's obsessive...almost as bad as people who say "lol" in public after spending too much time on message boards and chat rooms online :biggrin:

I personally never use text speak, not even if I'm running out of space - if that happens, I'll just look for words to take out or will try to rewrite the whole message :redface: Not that I have nothing else to do with my time, of course :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Haha, I sometimes say lol in public, however it's only been once, though I am so ashamed!! :redface:
Says it all really.
Reply 16
greenmuzz
No! We should all use obscure impossible to read/write languages!
In fact, txt jst isnt obfsctd engh, we shd use lt:

M4/\/ \_/ !$ $\_/c/-/ /\ />£/)/\/\/t !!111!!11eleventyeleven

/££t rls!

---------- end sarcasm ------------

on the other hand, I wholly agree. Much better that we can all understand each other.

That sarcasm was good I didn't understand a word of that. Except the parts in plain english.
Reply 17
Twaffy
That sarcasm was good I didn't understand a word of that. Except the parts in plain english.

How do we know it was sarcasm?!
Reply 18
the funniest "text speak" I have heard (or I guess it was seen) so far was "roflkmd," which apparently means "rolling on the floor laughing, kicking my dog."
Reply 19
dede
the funniest "text speak" I have heard (or I guess it was seen) so far was "roflkmd," which apparently means "rolling on the floor laughing, kicking my dog."

Haha, that is funny. Laugh out loud.

Latest

Trending

Trending