This discussion is closed.
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
NYU.....MIT....upenn......columb ia....and hopefully micghina.....deadline is today....just doing the essays rite now....
The elite choices, where are you hoping to go out of all your University choices? (atleast 100 right? )
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Petrozzi)
The elite choices, where are you hoping to go out of all your University choices? (atleast 100 right? )
well now that i decided that i want to do economics and not engineering...the only choices in the UK left for me are UCL and warwick....(i applied to and got offers from imperial for chem eng and civil eng)......the good thing in the US is that u can choose your major later.....or if i wanted...i could do a double major in engineering and economics....

UPENN>MIT>columbia>michigan>NYU for the US...though it is extremely unlikely that i get offers from the first 3.....
milygoil
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
WOW! didn't realise there was a lot I didn't know. Well, I kind of know what I want to do...its either science, or business (I am doing chem, physics, maths, and economics)...but i'm not sure how well i'm going to do in them. As for the top Universities, I hightly doubt i could get into them....let alone plan for how i'm going to pay it! I mean, at first I thought of MIT...but its sort of gone over my head now.... there is no possible way I could get into it. Therefore, I'm probably going to get into a Uni that doesn't have their expenses as high as the top ones.... But heres there prblem....as well as their fees....i also have to spend on plane tickets just to get from home to US....and that costs a bomb too! I did think I could help pay by getting a part time job or something...does anyone do that? And is it possible to do that and still do well?
DaKewLesT
Report 17 years ago
Hi... !
I have applied to 3 american unis ...
Princeton , Harvard and stanford...
It's highly unlikely that I get into any, but that doesn't really matter anymore as I got into Balliol, Oxford...
According to Harvard, the living and tuition expenses are in the region of $42K per year , that didn't really matter to me as I'm on a full scholarship , i know i'm lucky! According to Harvard prospectus there is a fair amount of people workin part time to help cover there fees... so i can't see y u can't do that..!

I was going to apply to some other uniz, brown , Yale, n UMech but i just couldn't be bothered to right all those essays after i got my oxford offer ...!

Anyhow good luck wit everyfin..
Dreama
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How did you go about applying for American Universities?

I'm guessing it's nothing to do with UCAS... does this mean you could apply for 6 Uni's in UK and then a few more in the US? Did your colleges assist you at all?

Many thanks..

Dreama x
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You apply directly to the university. Check out http://www.collegeboard.com. Oh and it is much easier to get financial aid than most people on this board think.
Dreama
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thankyou, so I could simply make an independent app to a Uni in the States and then continue with my UK app's through UCAS too ?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
Thankyou, so I could simply make an independent app to a Uni in the States and then continue with my UK app's through UCAS too ?
Yup no problem. However, if you haven't even thought of applying to the U.S before now it's very unlikely you'll be able to apply this year (due to all the nessecary tests and essays you have to do).
Dreama
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No problem, I'm in Year 12 and I suspect a Gap year is awaiting me anyhow..

Thanks for your help
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dreama)
No problem, I'm in Year 12 and I suspect a Gap year is awaiting me anyhow
Be warned, though. Applying to US universities is an arduous (as well as expensive) process. There are many tests to be taken and essays to be written-several for each application, and no two application the same, unlike the UCAS form. Moreover, there is much greater emphasis placed on extra-curriculars.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by milygoil)
Therefore, I'm probably going to get into a Uni that doesn't have their expenses as high as the top ones.... But heres there prblem....as well as their fees....i also have to spend on plane tickets just to get from home to US....and that costs a bomb too!
The Ivy leagues (and Stanford and MIT) will all have very good financial aid programs. Certainly with Harvard, and I expect all the rest, they are needs-based. Which means whether or not you get financial aid depends only on whether you need it. That's not to say they won't ask you to make sacrifices (they may ask you to earn a bit of money yourself, or that your family raises a certain amount). Their financial aid forms are fairly detailed for international applicants, and usually want to know things like your parents cars (make and model), your previous holidays, things like that!

However, the actual application process is needs-blind. That's to say, they would accept you regardless of whether you can afford it, or whether you've applied for financial aid. Also, Harvard's financial aid packages can include plane fares and transport costs. I expect it is the same with other big Unis.
kosine90
Report 17 years ago
just to add to amexblack.. admission is needblind only for american citizens. for internationals, i think chances are smaller if we apply for financial aid. they have only a limited amount of aids for internationals.

there is also something called common application for american universities, but most of the uni's using common app still require some extra/supplementary forms! (hmm.. there isnt much of the 'common' part in it )
milygoil
so basically, if you have the means of paying for the top universities you have to? Cuz Im not sure if I can...possibly...but if I can..that would be straining. Hmm....dilema.
So when appylying to US. Unis, does extra curricular stuff u do help a lot..or not as much? Cuz at the moment..i do loads and loads of other things..some that I do because I enjoy, and some I enjoy, but mainly that look good on the CV.
lilsunflower
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so basically, if you have the means of paying for the top universities you have to? Cuz Im not sure if I can...possibly...but if I can..that would be straining. Hmm....dilema.
So when appylying to US. Unis, does extra curricular stuff u do help a lot..or not as much? Cuz at the moment..i do loads and loads of other things..some that I do because I enjoy, and some I enjoy, but mainly that look good on the CV.
There is a huge emphasis on extra curricular stuff... look at the essay questions many of the Ivy League set. My friend had a series of interviews, and they were nothing like the UK ones. They encouraged you to talk about life experiences and things done outside school.

For example, I even had to write a 'peer evaluation' for one of my friend's scholarship applications! They required an essay that described 'candid' and 'personal' moments of our friendship.

Now how weird is that???
kosine90
Report 17 years ago
their idea is to 'know you personally' through loads of essays (personal statements + peer evaluation + teacher recomendations).. but.. they're so painful to do~!

yes, it's good to do loads of stuff, it'll show that you really explore your interest. it's even better if your activities has a lot to do with your prospective major in the university. even if they're not (say, doing MUN when you want to be a mathematician), they'll still like it that you're well-rounded.
milygoil
what is MUN?
kosine90
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
I just calculated, and the tutition fees for Harvard are 4000 pounds more expensive if your taking a science in the UK and more than 6000 pounds more expensive if your taking an arts subject. Now let's say your taking an arts subject. This means that ultimately you'll be paying 6000 times 4 (4years in college)= 24,000 pounds more than a UK degree at the end of your undergraduage degree...that's a lot of money. True there is financial aid, but you'll be paying loans for a few years ahead.

And to make sure I checked the state school tuitions as well. As some ppl said, they were around the same as UK fees. However, you have to consider you'll be paying for one extra year which ultimately makes it more expensive than the UK.
hmm.. that's true. i used the mit tuition fee (29,600 USD + living cost = 41,000 USD) compared to imperial's (13,600 pounds + 8900 living cost) which are very similar. but, i guess it varies for different universities.

and i didnt take into account that for a bachelor program, it generally takes 4 years in US! which means.. it will be a lot cheaper in UK for the same degree..
kosine90
Report 17 years ago
what is MUN?
Model united nations
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
For example, I even had to write a 'peer evaluation' for one of my friend's scholarship applications! They required an essay that described 'candid' and 'personal' moments of our friendship.

Now how weird is that???
Oh I had to do that too.

He got accepted early decision :cool:
milygoil
I would really like to go to Uni somewhere in a city. Because at the moment, I'm like..countryside..and I find it really boring. Would the city bring too many distractions though?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.9%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.83%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.94%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.2%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.93%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.26%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.78%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.49%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads