Having to clear out completely for the hols???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Philo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I just want to know if it really is as bad as I'd imagine to have to empty your room at Christmas/Easter as well as before summer?

I'm not looking forward to having to haul my things around 6 times a year!

Is it a pain or do you get used to it?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You have to do that? Of course :| I never considered that :| How on earth would you cope with TVs, or such large objects? Is there such thing as storage?
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
are there any storage warehouses in cambridge?
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Isn't it so annoying
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
When you return, do you return to the same room? Or can you find yourself switched?
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Philo)
I just want to know if it really is as bad as I'd imagine to have to empty your room at Christmas/Easter as well as before summer?

you get used to it, and most Cambridge colleges will have SOME space in a trunk room for students to store things. It really does vary from college to college though. I am at Robinson, and because it is a big conference centre during the hols, they expect anyone living in the main college building (all 1st years, some 2nd+3rd) to vacate...however, the first year rooms there have HUGE attics which you can put a padlock on. Whereas when i lived near college in their houses, they didn't mind people leaving things on walls and stuff around, to a pont, because only students would be housed there during the Vac.

There are definately storage warehouses in Cam, but i don't known them....best to ask advice from your college aunt/mum/dad/uncle
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Philo)

sorry i am tired and have been a plank! are you even going to Cambridge? sorry if not, cos i have written loads of B.S in that case
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ladyvice)
you get used to it, and most Cambridge colleges will have SOME space in a trunk room for students to store things. It really does vary from college to college though. I am at Robinson, and because it is a big conference centre during the hols, they expect anyone living in the main college building (all 1st years, some 2nd+3rd) to vacate...however, the first year rooms there have HUGE attics which you can put a padlock on. Whereas when i lived near college in their houses, they didn't mind people leaving things on walls and stuff around, to a pont, because only students would be housed there during the Vac.

There are definately storage warehouses in Cam, but i don't known them....best to ask advice from your college aunt/mum/dad/uncle
I'm going to robinson next year if I get the grades (to read music). Do you know what the rooms with the pianos in are like?

Musicboy
Philo
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
sorry i am tired and have been a plank! are you even going to Cambridge? sorry if not, cos i have written loads of B.S in that case
Trust me, that's been incredibly helpful as not only is my offer from Cambridge, it's from Robinson!

Thank you
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
When you return, do you return to the same room? Or can you find yourself switched?
No, you'll be in the same room for the whole year in your first year (some of our accommodation is being refurbished at the moment, meaning some 2nd years have been moving this term)

In Clare, rooms (especially in Memorial court and Old Court) are used for conference facilities in the holidays, so you do have to clear out. It's a pain, but you get used to it. They have storage space for internationals, but I think we home students just have to get on with it. Nearly nobody has a TV, so I don't know about that. My worst things are my cello and my computer.
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
My worst things are my cello and my computer.
I am soooo glad I didn't buy a desktop now. I was thinking of doing, but it must be such a pain lugging it around at the beginning and end of term. My advice to people is to buy a laptop instead.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
I am soooo glad I didn't buy a desktop now. I was thinking of doing, but it must be such a pain lugging it around at the beginning and end of term. My advice to people is to buy a laptop instead.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
I have a desktop, but it has a TFT screen, so it's not as bad as it might be.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, you'll be in the same room for the whole year in your first year (some of our accommodation is being refurbished at the moment, meaning some 2nd years have been moving this term)

In Clare, rooms (especially in Memorial court and Old Court) are used for conference facilities in the holidays, so you do have to clear out. It's a pain, but you get used to it. They have storage space for internationals, but I think we home students just have to get on with it. Nearly nobody has a TV, so I don't know about that. My worst things are my cello and my computer.
No TV Hm, suppose it makes sense. Where do int'ls go during short holidays? Do they stay and pay extra rent? Or fly home?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No TV Hm, suppose it makes sense. Where do int'ls go during short holidays? Do they stay and pay extra rent? Or fly home?
Considering our shortest holiday is 5 weeks, quite a lot of them go home. Some stay with friends/relatives in England, and others do stay at college, but I don't know if they have to pay extra rent.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Considering our shortest holiday is 5 weeks, quite a lot of them go home. Some stay with friends/relatives in England, and others do stay at college, but I don't know if they have to pay extra rent.
sounds like they pay enough already.

Musicboy
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
I'm going to robinson next year if I get the grades (to read music). Do you know what the rooms with the pianos in are like?

Musicboy
they are generally ground floor, which as a fresher is very lucy at Robinson! It means you don't cry as you lug everythign up several flights of stairs. they are average size, and most are en-suite....could be worse by the way, all the music students i know are wicked, and very barmy. it's a very cool faculty, full of lovely people
ladyvice
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Philo)
Trust me, that's been incredibly helpful as not only is my offer from Cambridge, it's from Robinson!

Thank you
for philosophy? one of my best friends will be a 3rd year philosopher at robinson next year, and given that it's such a small subject, i'm sure you'll get to know each other quite well...good luck with getting the grades.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The quickest way from Cam to my house involves catching the following services:

Cambridge -> Kings Cross -> Euston -> Stoke on trent -> Manchester -> Crumpsall.

Trying to get that much stuff on the tube and the metrolink and those busy Euston -> Picadilly services should be REALLY FUN

Helenia: I had no idea the holidays were so long, cool, makes it not quite as bad. Not like you're dragging all your stuff away, then bringing it back 2 weeks later.
musicbloke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
they are generally ground floor, which as a fresher is very lucy at Robinson! It means you don't cry as you lug everythign up several flights of stairs. they are average size, and most are en-suite....could be worse by the way, all the music students i know are wicked, and very barmy. it's a very cool faculty, full of lovely people
thanks for that ladyvice. Sounds like i'll fit in with the barmy bit (but not so much with the lovely bit )

Musicboy
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The quickest way from Cam to my house involves catching the following services:

Cambridge -> Kings Cross -> Euston -> Stoke on trent -> Manchester -> Crumpsall.

Trying to get that much stuff on the tube and the metrolink and those busy Euston -> Picadilly services should be REALLY FUN

Helenia: I had no idea the holidays were so long, cool, makes it not quite as bad. Not like you're dragging all your stuff away, then bringing it back 2 weeks later.
You HAVE to take a car - there really is no option. Using public transport just isn't feasible, as I have discovered to my detriment

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads