Having to clear out completely for the hols???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
KaiserSoze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Not sure about other colleges, but St. John's rooms all have huge lockable cupboards you can leave stuff in over the christmas and easter holdiays - very useful.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
In Clare, rooms (especially in Memorial court and Old Court) are used for conference facilities in the holidays, so you do have to clear out. It's a pain, but you get used to it. They have storage space for internationals, but I think we home students just have to get on with it. Nearly nobody has a TV, so I don't know about that. My worst things are my cello and my computer.
You can usually just ask the porter for the keys to the attic and they won't check you're an international student... but I didn't tell you that

They usually have some form of lockable cupboards that you can use during vacs in Clare, and you can usually leave your kitchen stuff... conference guests aren't *supposed* to use the gyp rooms.
Colony is less often used during vacs too, which is certainly an advantage.
This year is a right pain, I bought a ~30kg 19" monitor and live on the second floor... it takes me 7 trips from the car to get everything up there. Such a hassle.

Alaric.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
You HAVE to take a car - there really is no option. Using public transport just isn't feasible, as I have discovered to my detriment

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
a car . both me and my twin brother have places at cambridge next year. I somehow doubt that our car is gonna be big enough.

Musicboy
Radagasty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
You HAVE to take a car - there really is no option. Using public transport just isn't feasible, as I have discovered to my detriment
How do international students who don't have a car cope?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I have no car, my family has no car, I know nobody willing with a car. I'm sure I'll work something out
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
They usually have some form of lockable cupboards that you can use during vacs in Clare, and you can usually leave your kitchen stuff... conference guests aren't *supposed* to use the gyp rooms.
Yeah, we've got the "coffins" in our rooms, which help with some stuff, but mostly I need to take all my books home, and my clothes, and I wouldn't leave my computer unattended in Cambridge for the whole holiday. I have a TFT monitor, which makes that bit of life much easier

Also, because I was ill at the start of term, my Dad drove over and took all my stuff up to my room (2nd floor) so that it would be there when I was ready to go back.

Fishpaste and musicboy - unless you're really planning on living with just the barest of essentials, you're going to find it very difficult to get here without a car. I have too much stuff, I know. But even if I dispensed with some of the less necessary bits, I'd still never be able to do it on public transport.
Philo
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by ladyvice)
for philosophy? one of my best friends will be a 3rd year philosopher at robinson next year, and given that it's such a small subject, i'm sure you'll get to know each other quite well...good luck with getting the grades.

I think my name on here can be deceptive.... I'm actually going to read theology... aka the most fab subject ever to be studied
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Philo)
I think my name on here can be deceptive.... I'm actually going to read theology... aka the most fab subject ever to be studied
Wow - at last someone who agrees

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know a girl at Girton and as she is from Northern Ireland they give her international status and allow her to store her things in college - does anyone know if this is a common policy? Otherwise I'm going to have to get the boat home rather than be able to take advantage of nice cheap flights!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.74%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.91%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.18%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.81%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.12%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.76%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.73%

Watched Threads