Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
edit
Joey12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Im having the same problem, there are some people who want me to move in with them but to be honest theyre not really like me and they all do same subject as each other, so im worried ill feel left out. I dont have any other options and im really scared!
makeshiftwings
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What??? Your parents won't let you move in with boys??? I can't actually believe that, you're over 18 and an adult, they should trust you. If you don't know what boys are like to live with then surely you won't know what a marriage will be like???
Ok that got to me. So, advice. Basically, a flatmate/flatmates you get on with, or just look for someone with a spare room, there will be loads of them around.
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can move in with boys. Just don't tell your parents. How will they know? If they come to visit, hide the boys.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by strawberrie)
but there are other ppl who i could move in with but they r going to be moving in with boys and my parents wont let me do that
Why? Do they honestly believe that you are more likely to have sex with someone if you live in the same house as them. Trust me you are seriously less likely if you've seen how the average 18 - 22 year old male chooses to live.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
but there are other ppl who i could move in with but they r going to be moving in with boys and my parents wont let me do that

uni is supposed to be fun and i dont want to be even more bored than i would be if i was still at home...
If you're gonna let your parents run your life then you might as well just move back home.
john williams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Poica)
You can move in with boys. Just don't tell your parents. How will they know? If they come to visit, hide the boys.
:rofl: that comment deserves some rep!
monkeyaround
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have a friend at uni who's parents didn't like the look of any of her friends, so they made her move in to a single self contained flat thing with a kitchen and bathroom etc in a hall of residence off campus in her second year. She hates it, but can't do anything about it cos her parents are paying for it and wouldn't support her at all if she decided to move.
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you don't get on well enough with the friends you've recently made then strangers might be better. Then if it turns out you hate living with them it's a lot easier to make your excuses and move out, and you don't lose your friendships over it as well that way. If your uni is anything like Cardiff after Christmas there should be loads of posters up saying "Looking for housemate to share with 4 girls" and so on. Just be careful about signing tenancy agreements. Separate and just you'll have to find a replacement for you, joint and the whole house will be liable.
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Who are you living with at the moment, ie are you in a single sex flat or is it mixed? If it is mixed, couldn't you use that as proof to your parents that boys can be trusted? If anything there is perhaps an advantage to sharing with some lads as there is then a man about the place in case of any trouble or something...

Try talking to your parents and put a positive spin on living with males and females rather than just females?
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if i do decide to move in with ppl i dont know in this way, how will i be able to see if i like them (if they are normal?)
It's the luck of the draw, you end up sorted in halls in an even more random way! They'd probably want to see you to check you're normal, meet up and have coffee or something like that. That should give you a rough idea as to whether you'd get on with them.
cookie05
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yay yay yay!! glad im not the only person really worried about it. Im in kinda the same position as you, i have lots of friends but no one im that close to and really click with. Just take it as it comes, after christmas things might change and you find yourself with people who you really click with. If that fails then look for the signs, you can always move out.

As for your parents, its none of my business, but id explain to them that you would only move in with people you trust and if they want they can meet them. Im sure itll all work out fine for you!
xxx
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know if it's different elsewhere, but here it's generally 2nd years who advertise. People tend to stick with the same group for years 2-3, even if not in the same house. Generally it's either "someone" "guy" or "girl" they look for, and now and then "random/male/female law student" or something like that. But that's only if it's say a group of four law students already together who want to share with someone off their course. But more often houses are made up of people off several courses.

The only different one is where it's post-grads and professionals looking for other post-grads and professionals. They don't want noisy undergrads living with them usually!
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wait... you want us to chose your housemates for you?

Sweet!

Mr T
Zippy
Bungle
Al Gore
Vin Diesel

Easy!
heminder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have a strong feeling that i'm going to have this problem next year...
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm living with 3 girls this year and I've learnt my lesson. Next year I'm living with all boys!
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by heminder)
i have a strong feeling that i'm going to have this problem next year...
Don't. This time last year I'd have thought the same thing, but once you've spent your first year living with people you don't know at all and might not get on with very well, it seems surprisingly easy to find people who you're happy to choose to live with.
strawberrie
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i think the best thing to do is to chat on msn to ppl who are advertising rooms so i can find out what i want to know first and what the ppl are like and what im letting myself in for and whether its worth going to see the house :rolleyes:
leedsblade
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Joey12)
Im having the same problem, there are some people who want me to move in with them but to be honest theyre not really like me and they all do same subject as each other, so im worried ill feel left out. I dont have any other options and im really scared!
Me too and its getting me down. :mad:
Everyone here seems to have got accomodation sorted for next year already. :eek:
The 3 lads from my flat who I get along with so well are moving in with 3 other lads in an all lads flat/house. One girl from my flat who I get on with ok..we seem to have got on better over the last month compared to when we first arrived, is moving in with some other people she has met who I don't really know.
Other girl from my flat (there is 6 of us all together) isn't sure what to do or whether she is even carrying on with her course and Uni after Xmas.

People from my seminar group/course haven't sorted it yet but nobody has mentioned it/asked me about it. I missed quite a few seminars when I went back home as my dad was in hospital so haven't really got close to anyone.

I'd hate to be in an all female flat/house...really like it like this now..mixture or lads and girls.

Gem
DVBfan
Report 12 years ago
Good idea, Strawberrie - chatting to ppl on MSN to find out if they sound nice and if they have similar interests.
No idea who I'm gonna share with next year either...
I suppose you could always go for a short-term let place with a bunch of random ppl, then you can either renew your contract and stay if you like it, or move out if you don't... ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads