Watch
This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I once rang my friend' s phone, someone answered, and I said "I demand to speak to my wife" in the most ludicrous accent I could muster. Little did I realise it was her mother who answered. I toned it down a little after that.

Dunno about you, but did you find you began to learn certain words of their langague? I know most of the insults in urdu, and when people don't know me use them thinking I don't understand, it's always fun to surprise them.
Because of my poor hearing the only one I picked up was somnthing like "goodah, goody or somthing" I am not sure what it meant but if you dared to say it you would get a kick were it hurts.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
yes i know, none of the "i wont dare refer to skin, colour, race etc".

its nice to know you can talk freely without offending.
Well unfortunatly from what i have seen, the equality that i know sometimes turns a full circle and people seem to pull out the race card as an excuse in too many circumstances
ShOcKzZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i hope so.
my best m8 comes from a pakistani background.
i myself come from a pakistani/liberian/american background. i have mainly pakistani and white m8s.
throughout my school life (p.school, s.school, 6th form) the white and pakistanis have never really mixed that well..there has always been 2 groups, which isnt promising.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
just wondering. do you have many if any closer friends of a different ethnic background to yourself?

personally my closer friends (ones i see out of sixth form) are all white.
Ok, from heritage I am: Half Christian , Half Jewish, Born in Sweden by swedish parents. I have two hungarian granparents which lived on the border to romania, I have two swedish grandparents which lived on the border to finland. My girfriend is from northern Norway and I go to IB meaning almost all the people I hang out with ahve different ethnical backgrounds. We have people from all across the globe in our class. Northern america , Scandinavia, New Zealand, Asia, the Phillipines, south Africa etc etc.

The funny thing is that we are neither completely different nor completely similar. You can notice the cultural differences, but still people get along quite well. Perhaps the funniset part is the IB-English which has been created at our school. It is a mix between English, Norwegian, German and in my case Swedish.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
i myself come from a pakistani/liberian/american background. i have mainly pakistani and white m8s.
throughout my school life (p.school, s.school, 6th form) the white and pakistanis have never really mixed that well..there has always been 2 groups, which isnt promising.
that is true, i rarely see pakistani's and whites mixing - and thats being kind (never mind racism etc.)
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my best m8 is a pakistani muslim and goes to a catholic school (99% white) of about 1200 people. that wud be scary.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Ok, from heritage I am: Half Christian , Half Jewish, Born in Sweden by swedish parents. I have two hungarian granparents which lived on the border to romania, I have two swedish grandparents which lived on the border to finland. My girfriend is from northern Norway and I go to IB meaning almost all the people I hang out with ahve different ethnical backgrounds. We have people from all across the globe in our class. Northern america , Scandinavia, New Zealand, Asia, the Phillipines, south Africa etc etc.

The funny thing is that we are neither completely different nor completely similar. You can notice the cultural differences, but still people get along quite well. Perhaps the funniset part is the IB-English which has been created at our school. It is a mix between English, Norwegian, German and in my case Swedish.
nice.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
that is true, i rarely see pakistani's and whites mixing - and thats being kind (never mind racism etc.)
i find that if there are groups of other races they all tend to congragrate together. its natural i suppose, you assume they will understand you better

anyone race specific (if unconsiously) when it comes to attractivness?
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Since I go to an IB school I have many friends from all over the world, but my closest friends are white. My best friend is half American, half Norwegian and my boyfriend is Swedish.

When I lived in the US I had mostly Hispanic friends (lived in Florida).
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
my parents are always saying i should get a polish girlfriend.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
i find that if there are groups of other races they all tend to congragrate together. its natural i suppose, you assume they will understand you better

ive only ever been out with pakistanis/indians ..i think it has something to do with the way i was brought up. my mum who has a pakistani background was more influential than my dad who comes from america. he just cant be arsed with anything.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)

I think that just makes you Jewish... its just the way it works
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
my parents are always saying i should get a polish girlfriend.
any reason?
and are polish people meant to be super-intelligent ?
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
I think that just makes you Jewish... its just the way it works
His dad is the Jewish one, so no.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
any reason?
probably to keep the bloodline polish
and are polish people meant to be super-intelligent ?
i dont think so, although i know quite a few intelligent poles (and i also know quite a fe intelligent nonpoles, so thats not saying anything)
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
His dad is the Jewish one, so no.
Oh really? o thought that it was any close relative?
Linda
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
Oh really? o thought that it was any close relative?
Seriously?
It goes by the mother, and his father isn't very religious anyways I think. Jonatan's skin is mysteriously dark though.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
probably to keep the bloodline polish
i dont think so, although i know quite a few intelligent poles (and i also know quite a fe intelligent nonpoles, so thats not saying anything)
To keep the bloodline pure you mean...I ebt all the polish girls will be gunning for the Brit that speaks fluent English and got money.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
To keep the bloodline pure you mean...I ebt all the polish girls will be gunning for the Brit that speaks fluent English and got money.
probably also national pride, they say that polish girls are better looking than english girls
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Seriously?
It goes by the mother, and his father isn't very religious anyways I think. Jonatan's skin is mysteriously dark though.
Thank you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (379)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (361)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.05%
Loneliness (218)
8.51%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.41%

Watched Threads