Many friends of different Race?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my ex was half malaysian too! wow i really don't have many close completely English friends
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
Seriously?
It goes by the mother, and his father isn't very religious anyways I think. Jonatan's skin is mysteriously dark though.
Well, the thing is that I am not baptised nor confirmated either, so I am not quite certain. I think I live pretty much like a christian though (celebrate christmas etc ). I am not really religious, so I usually do not bother that much about it. I usually considder myself half jewish half christian in heritage, but neither in beleif. Having said that, my Jewish grandparents were auschwitz survivors, so I cant say my partially Jewish background has not affected me.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
my ex was half malaysian too! wow i really don't have many close completely English friends
From what i know i only know a few completly English people... there is always a bit of irish or scottish or something else, but then the English were made from differnt races anyway.... its healthier though i guess
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
probably also national pride, they say that polish girls are better looking than english girls

Where in Poland are your family from? We have relatives in Ochaby.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Where in Poland are your family from? We have relatives in Ochaby.
i was born in england, my parents came over in the 70s and met here. my mum is from a little village about 30 miles from warsaw, and my dad is from warsaw. to be honest, ive never heard of ochaby, which part is it in?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In my area white people are an ethnic minority...

I have friends from all parts of Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. No Oceanians as far as I know.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i was born in england, my parents came over in the 70s and met here. my mum is from a little village about 30 miles from warsaw, and my dad is from warsaw. to be honest, ive never heard of ochaby, which part is it in?

It's in South Western Poland.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My college is very ethnically diverse, yet the voluntary segregation that exists is quite striking.

It must be 40% White, 40% Afro-Caribbean, 20% other.

However, go into any classroom, and there will, in effect, be groups - one whites/other and one a-c. Also, the canteen has two main seating areas, almost entirely divided in the same way.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Our school has a whole class worth of Chinese students. I don't know them so well, but there are several others who I am friends with. One of my best friends is Scottish, and I am half American, which some regard as being a totaly different species.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
the uni is about 95% white, so its hard to have _lots_ of friends of a different race, but everyone gets along.
Actually 85% of the British students at Ox are white, include international students and it approaches 80%. People clique off in ethnic groups quite a lot, especially the international oriental students, though it's understandable. My college, journo and union based friendship groups are predominantly white, though often hang out (like tonight) with Majlis (Asian society), which is typically all Indian/Pakistani... I suppose there's some criticism of such segregation, I remember bicgnee saying he despised such societies, but it's comfortable to be with ppl who share your interests, background etc.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well I go to an international school as well where this is hardly any segregation and I must say from both an academic and social perspective, I couldn't hope for a better situation to be in.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Well I go to an international school as well where this is hardly any segregation and I must say from both an academic and social perspective, I couldn't hope for a better situation to be in.
it is definitely the best, yes.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Like most of the people who have taken part in the poll I have a mix of races for friends, but that is mainly due to me be a minority in the area that I live in. I'm sure that if I were to live in London (the place where I was born), most of my friends would be black...in fact the majority of my friends from London are black...as thats the way friendship groups group off when you reach certain age.

I have noticed recently that the voluntary segregation that occurs between different races friendship groups only begins in the mid-teens "around 15-16 years old". I don't know if anyone has noticed but during primary school and early secondary school most people inter-mixed creating inter-racial friendship groups, as up until this age we had all bbeen told that we should "make friends with everyone" (which I believe is true), because we are all the same (Something I think is incredibly wrong!!!). It seemed that only at the age of 15 years old we find out that the last statement is completly false! Most of us discover that no race is the same and that the different cultures, backgrounds, religions that we come from seperate the different races that we come from. Thats why slowly at the age of 15-16 we start to make single race friendship groups, so that we have friends that we are similar to, and ineffect are the same as!

Its a really sad fact but I'm afraid its so true today!

Luv
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
When I was in primary school, there were no ethnic minorities. I mean it, every person in my year was white, and up till year 9 of secondary school, the same thing held true. I guess it's just dependent on where you come from. A lot of Chinese students came to our school as boarders to learn English, but they tended to segregate themselves off a bit (probably partly our fault as well, but it ended up that there were split groups). There was one black girl who I shared a room with in year 11, who was fantastic, but though I never saw any overt racism, she still felt sometimes like she didn't fit in. A few more have joined the school since then, but purely because of location it is predominantly white.

At uni things are loads different. There is a much greater mix of races and I get on fine with everyone I know. The differences make it more interesting, especially for a country kid like me. Some people segregate off, and most of my Indian/Sri Lankan friends go to their own societies, but most of the time everyone mixes in, which is cool.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
When I was in primary school, there were no ethnic minorities. I mean it, every person in my year was white, and up till year 9 of secondary school, the same thing held true. I guess it's just dependent on where you come from. A lot of Chinese students came to our school as boarders to learn English, but they tended to segregate themselves off a bit (probably partly our fault as well, but it ended up that there were split groups). There was one black girl who I shared a room with in year 11, who was fantastic, but though I never saw any overt racism, she still felt sometimes like she didn't fit in. A few more have joined the school since then, but purely because of location it is predominantly white.

At uni things are loads different. There is a much greater mix of races and I get on fine with everyone I know. The differences make it more interesting, especially for a country kid like me. Some people segregate off, and most of my Indian/Sri Lankan friends go to their own societies, but most of the time everyone mixes in, which is cool.
My old primary school now has about 2 white kids in each class so they are the minority... I have a mix of friends, and it's cool because I get to learn stuff about their religion and stuff and surprise people when I know stuff. I pick up Urdu but mostly only insults but it's great because no one expects me to know them... Like a couple of months ago a new asian guy came to our school, he started hanging around with my mates who are Asian so we all just like hang around together, although there's like about 6 or 7 Asians and then me, but as I say it's cool. I actually got asked the other day if I was going to convert to Islam... that was pretty weird because that's only because I know stuff about it and was explaining it to another asian guy....

I have two best best friends, one is white and the other is Indian but was born in Britain but now has moved back to India...
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'd say there are under 10 non-white students at my school, which has approx. 2300 pupils.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
In primary school all there were white (italian or spanish 90% I guess), in High School there were two black guys in the WHOLE school (five years with five division of 30 students each one) and a couple of asians countries like China or Korea.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alec)
I'd say there are under 10 non-white students at my school, which has approx. 2300 pupils.
jesus christ, more diversity please...........
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
jesus christ, more diversity please...........
You can't help the racial make-up of where you live.
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
just wondering. do you have many if any closer friends of a different ethnic background to yourself?

personally my closer friends (ones i see out of sixth form) are all white.
I think it depends on where you study...I have never gone to school anywhere where whites have been a majority....(:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (209)
42.83%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.37%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (196)
40.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.64%

Watched Threads