The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

keenya2006
City-IR
LSE-IR
Westminster-IR and French
De Montfort-IR and politics
Birmingham-IR
too embarrassed to mention the last uni lol but it's one of those last resrot unis if you know what I mean :smile:
Still waiting on offers from all
Actually, Birmingham was rated pretty high up (i think 8th and 13th place) in the Guardian and The Times tables for Politics, so it's nothing to be ashamed of! (maybe im wrong....)
Reply 21
I don't think Birmingham was the one they were embarassed by, because that's a pretty good school. I think they didn't actually tell you the 6th choice. See what I mean? I could be wrong, though.
Oh I see what you mean...i read it the wrong way, what an idiot!!
I am an international student and the best offer I have now for IR is from LSE...
Reply 24
LSE? Success rate around 5% IIRC?:eek: Well done fishcandyguo! :smile:
LSE? way to go! I (as expected) was rejected. LSE is amazing, so you should definatly be proud of what you achieved!
Thank you very much. Actually I got a conditional offer from Warwick too for Politics, Economics and International Studies, but the requirement is higher than the one from LSE. It really gives me a hard decision on my first and insurance choices. How do you guys think?
I'd make LSE your first choice anytime! I guess that's because i really loathe economics... However, Warwick is an awesome campus, and London can get really expensive to live in.... If you choose between the courses i would go to LSE, but maybe Warwick would be a better place to live!
Reply 28
Warwick is definitely up there for IR/International Studies. Although it's fiercely competitive, apparently they receive an extraordinary 12 applications per place (according to Undergraduate Admissions).
Reply 29
I didn't apply to LSE in the end because of London - I didn't want the cost and coming from the countryside I think London would be too much for me all at once. Plus I'll probably want to/have to work in London at some point, so keeping uni costs down is a big factor for me.

I'm very likely to put Warwick down as my first choice for Politics. It's department is excellent - the Times put it second in the Politics league table (these are dubious, I know) but it's certainly up there along with Oxbridge and LSE.

Warwick doesn't have the same reputation the LSE has (certainly not internationally) but it's a growing university and it's reputation in the UK is top notch. In my opinion it's the best of the group of universities just outside the G5 (Oxbridge and the three top London colleges). It's only 41 years old this year, so looking at how much it has grown in such a short period of time speaks volumes. Where will it be in another 40 years? The value of a Warwick degree is likely to appreciate.
Reply 30
Xanthe
Warwick is definitely up there for IR/International Studies. Although it's fiercely competitive, apparently they receive an extraordinary 12 applications per place (according to Undergraduate Admissions).

12 per place?! That's almost the 20 per place ratio of LSE! Why haven't I had a look at these statistics before I applied?!
Reply 31
i have an offer from warwick - so shocked as my grades are not the greatest:p: - thought i needed all A's
Reply 32
Jammertal
12 per place?! That's almost the 20 per place ratio of LSE! Why haven't I had a look at these statistics before I applied?!

I obtained the Warwick information through contacting Undergraduate Admissions, I don't think the application:tongue:lace ratio is advertised anywhere.
Reply 33
Might be because they give a lot more offers than places available because so many people turn them down and so many people don't meet their offers.
That's why I prefer applications- offers statitistics.

Disclaimer: That's at least what an Warwick economist told me.
What I mostly want to know now is if there's anyone ever put LSE as his/her insurance (except that s/he got an offer from Oxbridge) and got rejected by LSE even though the requirement was reached in the end...Would it be a risky option?
Reply 35
fishcandyguo
What I mostly want to know now is if there's anyone ever put LSE as his/her insurance (except that s/he got an offer from Oxbridge) and got rejected by LSE even though the requirement was reached in the end...Would it be a risky option?

They can reject you if you meet their offer?:confused: :eek:
Reply 36
Jammertal
They can reject you if you meet their offer?:confused: :eek:

No, they can't. If you put them as conditional they would have to honour their offer.
Reply 37
Ah Ok. Great relief.
Jammertal
Ah Ok. Great relief.

:ditto: Thanks ^_^
Reply 39
Catalan Midget
Wow, looks like most of you got your answers from the unis already! I guess I applied a little to late

Sheffield - Int Relations and Politics - 33 IB w/4 in english
Birmingham - Int Relations - 33 IB w/5 in english
LSE - Int Relations - rejected ("nice try kid")
Essex - Int Relations and Politics - still waiting
Leeds - Int Relations - still waiting
Reading - War, Peace, and Int Relations - still waiting.......

Any international students? Between the 2 offers I have, which would you choose? once i have all the answers its back to square one to analyze the different programs! URGH!!

I'd go to Essex if you get an offer.. but i might be biased. :biggrin: Essex has a large amount of international students as well which is pretty cool :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending