Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did you go to the open days? I went to Sussex the other week- pretty good, interesting academics, and critical theories on the course, a few Marxists there and a bit of a Pilger wannabe. I think I'd actually enjoy the course there more than LSE in some ways. The guy who did the IR talk actually came from LSE and I asked him how he compared the two, he laid into LSE a bit.
    havent been to bham or leeds

(Original post by smellielli)
    leeds, b'ham or sussex? heeeeeeelp me!
    In terms of courses, go through the module list. Have you been to the open days? What sort of impression did you get from the different unis? I went to the Birmingham and Sussex ones. I liked both - especially the resources at Brum - but it came down to liking the Sussex course more, as well as being really impressed with the lecturer and current students. It's what suits you best, ultimately. I went up to the Durham post-app day a few weeks ago and realised it really wasn't me. I declined St Andrews on that basis too. With Brighton it was a completely different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellielli)
    leeds, b'ham or sussex? heeeeeeelp me!
    haha I had problems deciding between birmingham and sussex as my first choice but eventually I chose birmingham because of its location (and some minor other differences) and I liked it since the beg.
    I dont know what leeds is like

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am an international student. Actually, I am a LLB year two student of The University Of Hong Kong. Since I hate law and love international politics very much, so I wish to do a degree in International politics in UK. I want an academic goal. That means I wish to pursue postgraduate studies in the future.

I have got the offer from the following university. It seems that my relatively low GPA in the LLB years cannot bring me to good universities.

1. University of Essex BA Politics
    2. University of Wales, Aberystwyth BScEcon (international politics and strategic studies)
    3. School of Oriental and African Studies BA (Politics)

I really want to know the reputation of the above institutions. No one other than local students know well about the reputation and prospect of the universities!

Thank you. I met great opposition from my parents since going to UK means that I have to give up my at least locally prestigious LLB degree..............

May you please help me? May you tell me something about the above courses? ^^

ReputationRep:
    I havent been to any but I think they all have fairly good reputations. I think Aberystwyth is meant to be really good with the int. politics, they were the first to teach it or somit like that, although it is ranked lowest overall at 49 in the times league table. SOAS and Essex both have good reps at about 21 and 25 in UK overall.
    There is this Times table for politics but its not particularly helpful http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...20politics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

If I wish to pursue postgraduate studies in the field of internatonal politics/politics, the overall reputation of the university and the reputation of the department, which one is more important?

I am really grateful for your help!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.