The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jessie lilmizditz
Hi Frances,

I'm Jessie, 24, 25 this year, and started my first degree in 2004, an arts based course, and am now in my second year, but hate it! I'm finishing this semester at DipHE level, and am waiting on replies to study for my DipHE Children's Nursing, Have one interview so far...at SBU in May! Its gonna be a long road, but feel like its the best decision I've made for myself in a long time! (And just praying I get accepted somewhere!)

Where are you looking at studying?

Jessie xxx:biggrin:

Haha, I'm quoting my own post here, but just wanted to say I've now finished my diploma,and have had a couple of uni interviews for nursing, but so much has changed with me recently that i'm unsure if I'm gonna follow this road (if i get an offer that is!) Its swings and roundabouts for us mature students! :wink:

Love Jess xxxxxxxxxx
Reply 21
FRANCES777
Hi, I am wondering id there are any other oldies around planning to do (or doing) a 2nd undergraduate degree. I have a BSc in Chemsitry from South Africa, and am now applying to study BSc Optometry. Am permanent resident in UK. Basically nuts enough to go through it again, because lab, test tubes and statistics are driving me mad.
Any other people changing /altering careers?
How does it work regarding fees? As far as I know I will have to pay the study fees upfront, will qualify for a student loan though. My husband's salary will also be taken into account (£25000 after taxes). Will I qualify for any help towards childcare, except for normal small amount of child benefit?.........so many questions!!!?? Hope there are more nutters like me around :redface:)

Hi,
I am starting an HNC in September, it lasts one year, then it guarantees me a place in 2nd Year BA(Hons) Communications. I don't know how mature you are, but I'm 29, I finding quite daunting, but I think the HNC will help a great deal.

If I were you, I wouldn't give age a second thought; if you can, just go for it.
Reply 22
Wheew! I was starting to think I was all alone here. I'm 25, american and am starting a second degree/career change from psychology to veterinary medicine at the RVC in the fall. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one.
Reply 23
kleffert
Wheew! I was starting to think I was all alone here. I'm 25, american and am starting a second degree/career change from psychology to veterinary medicine at the RVC in the fall. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one.

:ditto:
Yeah,
I agree, the thread is a great help. :stupido2:
Reply 24
Hi everybody, thanks for all the replies! Forgot to say I'm very mature - haha- 31, feel more like 21! Also have 3 kiddies (!!!), been married for 11 years. Did a BSc Chemistry before, little teaching (Maths up to A level), PGCE equivalent in SA, and worked in labs for few years. Really looking fw to studies, accepted at Manchester!! yey!:biggrin:
I qualified for Course fees -3000, 3554 Maintenance Loan and 851 grant. Unfortunately no childcare grant due to husband's salary... but other loans will help.
It's great to see that other people are also making career changes, I guess life is all a learning curve and you think different about things as you 'mature'..:rolleyes: (hehe).
Anybody else at Manchester?

cheers
How did you manage to get loans and grants if you already have a degree?

I already have a BSc Hons and have been told that because of this I will not even be entitled to loans.
Reply 26
Depends on the course - maintenance loans are available for a small number of 2nd undergraduate degrees (those leading to professional qualifications - i.e. med, dent, architecture, etc...)
Reply 27
Fluffy
Depends on the course - maintenance loans are available for a small number of 2nd undergraduate degrees (those leading to professional qualifications - i.e. med, dent, architecture, etc...)

yup I'm a 2nd degree-er......like fluffy says, you can get 2nd loans for a small number of degrees, and physio qualifies for that so I'm alright, plus I get a NHS bursary.

What degree was your first and what do you want to do for your 2nd?
:smile:

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a noobie to the forum and am looking forward to networking with you's. I am 33 yrs old and am in the process of retraining as well. My first degree was a Commerce degree in Economics and Industrial Psychology, and I have just received a unconditional offer from Anglia Ruskin University to read BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences....:biggrin: :biggrin: . The only snag is that I first have to do their Foundation Year in Science and will automatically progress to YR1 if successful.

The Admission Tutor said that my academic background isn't appropriate, although I'm currently doing a 60 credit Science and 30 credit Maths course with the OU?????

Ah, well I'm still awaiting 3 more Uni replies, so will see how it goes...

I am happy though...better than nothing....:biggrin: . Too bad Essex rejected me, that was my first choice. Quick question: would I qualify to apply for a student loan to cover my tuition?

Thanks

SK1
Reply 29
Hi everyone, newbie alert.:smile:

Been a voyeur of TSR for months now and finally decided to post.
I'm 28 and hope to begin my second undergraduate degree in Speech Pathology Sept 07 (Man Met). That means I'll be 31 by graduation.
I don't think it's ever too late to learn but I wish I'd done a more practical work-related degree first time out. I will get fees paid for by NHS but not sure how far a means-tested bursary stretches.
Bit worried about not being entitled to a student loan as well! Ho-hum.
Reply 30
Yes its never too late. I was a pharmacist first, then did a PhD and worked for 6 years in cancer research. I've just received an offer for Vet Sciences at Bristol and really pleased, but it will cost a fortune. Anybody else in a similar situation?
Reply 31
Almost - I was a geneticist, then did a PhD (well D.Phil!) and worked in cancer research. Am now a 3rd year medical student, and very poor!!!
Reply 32
electric.avenue
How did you manage to get loans and grants if you already have a degree?

I already have a BSc Hons and have been told that because of this I will not even be entitled to loans.

The original poster obtained their degree outside of the UK and therefore has not had help with study costs from the UK government previously. If your 1st degree is obtained outside of the UK you can still apply for loans/grants/tuition fee loan.
Reply 33
Maz78
Hi everyone, newbie alert.:smile:

Been a voyeur of TSR for months now and finally decided to post.
I'm 28 and hope to begin my second undergraduate degree in Speech Pathology Sept 07 (Man Met). That means I'll be 31 by graduation.
I don't think it's ever too late to learn but I wish I'd done a more practical work-related degree first time out. I will get fees paid for by NHS but not sure how far a means-tested bursary stretches.
Bit worried about not being entitled to a student loan as well! Ho-hum.

I was under the impression that nhs funded courses which attract a means tested bursary still qualify for the reduced rate loan regardless of any previous study.

Unless you are getting a non-means tested bursary because then you get diddly squat!
Reply 34
Greenmile
I was under the impression that nhs funded courses which attract a means tested bursary still qualify for the reduced rate loan regardless of any previous study.

Unless you are getting a non-means tested bursary because then you get diddly squat!
You're right - but only if that degree is one of the select few that the student loans company list.....think OT, Physio, SALT etc are listed
Reply 35
Eyeball
Hi, I am wondering id there are any other oldies around planning to do (or doing) a 2nd undergraduate degree. I have a BSc in Chemsitry from South Africa, and am now applying to study BSc Optometry. Am permanent resident in UK. Basically nuts enough to go through it again, because lab, test tubes and statistics are driving me mad.
Any other people changing /altering careers?
How does it work regarding fees? As far as I know I will have to pay the study fees upfront, will qualify for a student loan though. My husband's salary will also be taken into account (£25000 after taxes). Will I qualify for any help towards childcare, except for normal small amount of child benefit?.........so many questions!!!?? Hope there are more nutters like me around :redface:)

Got a first degree in Pharmacy and a PhD, and I also got bored with test tubes! So I'm starting a course in veterinary sciences at Bristol 2007. I am 33! Fees are astronomical but I'm planning to do locums as I'm still on the RPSGB register. Good luck!
Reply 36
Fluffy
Almost - I was a geneticist, then did a PhD (well D.Phil!) and worked in cancer research. Am now a 3rd year medical student, and very poor!!!

So when did the crunch come? I have been stuck in the USA doing a post-doc as a last ditch attempt to enjoy being a scientist. I realised on the bus to my volunteer job at an animal shelter- duh??? I need to be a vet!
Reply 37
Thinker06
:ditto:
Yeah,
I agree, the thread is a great help. :stupido2:

Hey fellow future vet. I'm coming from NY. Good luck!!!
Reply 38
Miaoow
So when did the crunch come? I have been stuck in the USA doing a post-doc as a last ditch attempt to enjoy being a scientist. I realised on the bus to my volunteer job at an animal shelter- duh??? I need to be a vet!

I started volunteering in a hospice to try to stay focused in the lab. Fell in love with medicine!
Reply 39
Fluffy
I started volunteering in a hospice to try to stay focused in the lab. Fell in love with medicine!

OMG that is so wierd. I guess some people just need to be at the sharp end. Did you reach the point where being in the lab just didnt feel like you were doing anything for anybody apart from the PI's ego?

Latest

Trending

Trending