physiological vs anatomical adaptations Watch

Nix-j-c
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I understand how they're both different from behavioural adaptations and kinda how they're different from each other but I still find it really hard to fully understand and explain how physiological and anatomical things are different.

HELP :eek:

+ rep will be given to anyone who can actually get me to understand it!
alkyone
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
a good way to distinguish between the two is to have in mind that physiological involve chemical reactions which are often reversible and temporary, while anatomical adaptations you are born with. for example the size of the elephant's ear is big to maximise heat loss, this is an anatomical adaptation, an elephant is born with it. a suntan is a physiological adaptation, it involves the making of melanine, and is temporary and reversible.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anatomy and physiology are pretty distinct things - anatomy deals with the structure of an organism, so its skeleton, organ system, tissue structure, cell structure, whereas physiology looks at function, so how these organ work, how cell metabolism works, communication of a systemic and local level. They are clearly highly linked to each other.
Nix-j-c
Rep:
?
ta, I knew it'd probably be quite simple it's just my teacher was rubbish at explaining it!
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alkyone)
a good way to distinguish between the two is to have in mind that physiological involve chemical reactions which are often reversible and temporary, while anatomical adaptations you are born with. for example the size of the elephant's ear is big to maximise heat loss, this is an anatomical adaptation, an elephant is born with it.
Whilst a good way to think about it overall, its not entirely rigorous... i mean, you are born with all of your physiological processes working, and you have anatomical changes later on in life. Not all anatomy is un-healable, and some physiological changes can be permanent...
Nix-j-c
Rep:
?
#argh#
alkyone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Whilst a good way to think about it overall, its not entirely rigorous... i mean, you are born with all of your physiological processes working, and you have anatomical changes later on in life. Not all anatomy is un-healable, and some physiological changes can be permanent...
I appreciate your approach and agree with it, it is just the easy way out, and I was trying to explain as simply as possible as i said physiological adaptations are OFTEN temporary and reversible, and all anatomical adaptations you are born with, even though they could be healable
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alkyone)
I appreciate your approach and agree with it, it is just the easy way out, and I was trying to explain as simply as possible as i said physiological adaptations are OFTEN temporary and reversible, and all anatomical adaptations you are born with, even though they could be healable
Yeah it generally holds true so would be useful to consider.

Although on the last point...your anatomy CAN change post-birth - think puberty, any species with life phases like a caterpillar... I mean, arguably these 'adaptations' are all present in the genetics pre-birth, but then so are all physiological adaptations.

I think the structure-function distinction is better to use.
alkyone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'll keep that in mind
Nix-j-c
Rep:
?
I'm still back to confuzzlement slightly :s
alkyone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just have in mind what nexttime said, anatomy= structure, physiology= function, apologies if the discussion confused you.
Nix-j-c
Rep:
?
ok, what about examples then?
Markh1000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nix-j-c)
ok, what about examples then?
Go with the structure/function distinction.

Eg - the anatomy of the heart describes what structures make it up (chambers, valves, vessels etc...). The physiology of the heart describes how it pumps blood (if you like, how it uses its anatomy), and how it responds to changes etc.
Nix-j-c
Rep:
?
ok thanks
007Shella
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Anatomy and physiology are pretty distinct things - anatomy deals with the structure of an organism, so its skeleton, organ system, tissue structure, cell structure, whereas physiology looks at function, so how these organ work, how cell metabolism works, communication of a systemic and local level. They are clearly highly linked to each other.
Thank you.... this helped ALOT !
Soranganba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anatomy is just like Hardware and Physiology is the software..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.46%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.36%