Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey how is everyone? For my biology homework i have this question but i do not really know how to put it... its Why does the pH need to be regulated and how it is done in electrophoresis using the agarose jelly and the electrical current passing through it .. genetic fingerprinting.. iplease reply quickly or PM me thanx alot love caz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    think it may be something to do with the charges on the protein fragments in solution. If I remember correctly they're -ively charged. Too acidic conditions means lots more H+ ions, which would be attracted to the -ively charged fragments (and possibly form covalents!?).... This would mean the charge on the fragments would change, so they wouldn't move as much and the final positions would not be the same as they would be if they were in less acidic conditions.

Just an informed guess!
    (Correct me if I'm wrong and anybody knows better, I'm only a medic)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corkskrew)
    think it may be something to do with the charges on the protein fragments in solution. If I remember correctly they're -ively charged. Too acidic conditions means lots more H+ ions, which would be attracted to the -ively charged fragments (and possibly form covalents!?).... This would mean the charge on the fragments would change, so they wouldn't move as much and the final positions would not be the same as they would be if they were in less acidic conditions.

Just an informed guess!
    Proteins are amphoteric; so their net charge depends on what the pH around them is, pretty much. But yeah, this means that if the pH changes then the net charge of the proteins will be altered, which will screw up the separation! (At a pH above its isoelectric point (this is the pH at which the positive and negative charges on the protein are equal) the protein will have a net negative charge.) To regulate the pH you can keep an eye on it with probes but a buffer solution should keep it pretty stable.

(It's agarose gel for technical brownie points )

only a medic
    Awwww, I love it when medics finally accept their inferiority :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yeh of course it is... i remember my teacher saying that now.. thank you very much id just forgotten DOH!!! thanks everyone!!!! Im lovin TSR!!! xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 9, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.