Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy)
    Yes but when somebody says 'oasis is the best band' is just sounds so wrong! It makes you sound illiterate, it may be correct but it just sounds wrong!
    Interesting, as I would say that anyone saying "Oasis are...." sounds illiterate and stupid, because the name of the band is meant as a collective. If you substitute "The band" for "Oasis" is should clearly be "The band is..." because again, you're speaking of a collective unit. They give up their status as individuals when they form such a musical union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opiache)
    I appreciate this may sound a little random, but I'm really fed up with Americanised spelling - fetus instead of foetus, sulfur instead of sulphur, color instead of colour.

Why? I don't understand why a) Americans spell things differently in the first place and b) why this spelling seems to be coming into English textbooks; even our lecturers seem to use 'sulfur'.

it's like an austrian complaining about germanised spelling lol

not like britain is gonna be taken over because of this huh
    you should be glad you aren't spelling french right now
    kekeke

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.