Public transport - grrr Watch

Angel Interceptor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LibertineNorth)
It's doesn't cost any more to transport this fellow around. He's not making you pay any more... what you're getting annoyed about is that he's not letting you pay less...

And to be honest, he's the one who had the intelligence to exploit the system.
haha, the intelligence to exploit the system? :hahaha:
it's not my fault that Stransky is some fare-dodging pikey who complains about the price of public transport but then still uses it! if he hated it that much, then maybe he should invest in a bike? or a monthly bus pass when he's in london - you can get a zone 1-6 monthly bus pass for less than £30 (with student discount) which works out at being less than a pound a day? how could anyone say that's too expensive?

the thing is though that Stransky chooses to catch the tube, because it is quicker for him to get from one place to another using it, but if he considers it too expensive, then why won't he just catch the bus? it's cheap as chips, and he's an idiot if he doesn't, because he preaches saying that the tube system is too expensive and yet doesn't seek to use a cheap, although slower, alternative.

--------------

(Original post by Stranksy)
Thank you Libertine

And yes, even if i payed the full fare 100% of the time, the prices would still have gone up. I literally cant afford to be paying the prices they charge, if i did, i wouldnt have any money to spend when i got to my destination., which makes going out in the first place stupid.

Maybe if this country wasnt run by a bunch of morons it mite be cheaper. One MP spent over 15,000 pounds on plants for his office in 1 year! There was a computer system put in place, to do with benefit scheme or something, and they had to scrap it because it wasnt working, and that cost millions! Maybe if they stopped wasting our taxes on such stupid things for once, we mite be able to get around for less....
our taxes? i assume that you'e not a taxpayer, so that nullifies your arguement for having anything to object to!
Stranksy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Everyone is a tax payer....if you buy something from a shop, it always has VAT on it. Ever been to Burger King? It even shows you on the digital till how much of the price is VAT. Sure, i dont pay as much as say my dad, who works full time, but thats cos im 18 and inbetween uni right now.

Prativ. I have a bike. I have to cycle for 20 minutes just to get to the dam train station! Theres no way im willing to cycle from my house in molesey all the way to woking, do you have any idea how far that is? Even if i got a bus, it would take at least an hour to get there (ive tried it). Also, woking lies outside zones 1-6 which makes a card useless....

Yes i do travel within central London too, but not as much as i do going to woking. and dont even suggest i change my circle of friends to ones who are nearer :P
KizD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you don't mind me asking Stranksy, are you a chav?
sr4470
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
If the zones were a perfect circle around the city, I would be living within them. But no :rolleyes:
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by morningtheft)
16 year olds don't have to pay adult fares...
They do in Norfolk!

The public transport as far as buses go is a total joke! If you're lucky enough to live in an area actually with a bus service then you've still got to contend with them being late or driving straight past you, that's if they turn up at all.
sr4470
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by twiga)
They do in Norfolk!

The public transport as far as buses go is a total joke! If you're lucky enough to live in an area actually with a bus service then you've still got to contend with them being late or driving straight past you, that's if they turn up at all.
That happened to me fairly often when I was at school. You're right, outside the cities, buses arent too good.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pratikv)
if you think the tube costs too much, get the bus then and wake up earlier to get to places. there are alternatives.
Exactly what does this have to do with the Tube? We're talking about trains (ie. National Rail). I would love to take a bus, but there aren't any that really go from East Sussex to London. I was remarking that the train cost increase, for me, is going to be 30p a day which I can live with if the current inconveniences and inefficiencies in the system are ironed out.

I was also remarking how much I dislike CCTV. We should get a discount for the inconvenience of being turned in to common-as-muck Big Brother contestants just for wanting to go to work/school/university etc.
sr4470
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
I was also remarking how much I dislike CCTV. We should get a discount for the inconvenience of being turned in to common-as-muck Big Brother contestants just for wanting to go to work/school/university etc.
Unfortunately you'll be hard pressed to remove the hundreds of thousands of cameras in the capital. :rolleyes:
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
Exactly what does this have to do with the Tube? We're talking about trains (ie. National Rail). I would love to take a bus, but there aren't any that really go from East Sussex to London. I was remarking that the train cost increase, for me, is going to be 30p a day which I can live with if the current inconveniences and inefficiencies in the system are ironed out.

oh sorry, i must have misread your post, i thought that you lived in some obscure london zone.
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Isn't the thread title 'public transport'?
Although, the original poster says red ken is somehow increasing national train fares via his magic wavey-wand...
The extra money charged? When the companies were nationalised it would probably have gone back to the company itself or central government revenue via additional profits.
Now it would probably go back to the commpany, or the directors awarding themselves some more bonuses.
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Stranksy)
Everyone is a tax payer....if you buy something from a shop, it always has VAT on it. Ever been to Burger King? It even shows you on the digital till how much of the price is VAT. Sure, i dont pay as much as say my dad, who works full time, but thats cos im 18 and inbetween uni right now.

Prativ. I have a bike. I have to cycle for 20 minutes just to get to the dam train station! Theres no way im willing to cycle from my house in molesey all the way to woking, do you have any idea how far that is? Even if i got a bus, it would take at least an hour to get there (ive tried it). Also, woking lies outside zones 1-6 which makes a card useless....

Yes i do travel within central London too, but not as much as i do going to woking. and dont even suggest i change my circle of friends to ones who are nearer :P
i completely forgot about VAT, sorry - i never really think about it, but just take it as something that i have to pay. i guess your circumstances are quite different from most other people who have to just get around central and the inner parts of greater london (as in within zones 1-6). anyhows, if you cycle to the train station, then that's great. as for the fact that it'd take an hour to commute by bus, i personally don't think it's that long - i used to have to bus it into university (euston area) because i was low on funds and that used to take me 80/85 minutes in the mornings due to the traffic (i had to leave the housse at 7.30am every day). obviously i wouldn't suggest changing your circle of friends.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sr4470)
Unfortunately you'll be hard pressed to remove the hundreds of thousands of cameras in the capital. :rolleyes:
If everyone got together and bought a big pair of scissors, we'd be able to make a pretty huge dent. Or, on a less violent note, if everyone stuck their middle finger up at every CCCTV camera they go past, we could send a pretty big message.
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"We defy you central government and your attempts to reduce crime and fear of crime!"
Brown Eyed Girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
im sick of the damned prices going up. this is the last year i'm gonna be able to by a term plus at the cheap price (after 19 it goes up to like £100 odd ) but i started buying them in year 7 they were £50 now the currect one i have is £67.00
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by arkbar)
"We defy you central government and your attempts to reduce crime and fear of crime!"
No, we defy you Whitehall for spying on us like we're all criminals and artificially hyping up the fear of crime to increase totalitarian reductions of our civil liberties.
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, Whitehall has a habit of peeking in on CCTV in public places that is administrated and set up by the local government.
CCTV and better lighting tend to help solve crime and reduce fear of crime. They're also very useful in town centres to identify potential trouble spots outside local bars/clubs.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by arkbar)
Yeah, Whitehall has a habit of peeking in on CCTV in public places that is administrated and set up by the local government.
CCTV and better lighting tend to help solve crime and reduce fear of crime. They're also very useful in town centres to identify potential trouble spots outside local bars/clubs.
Simply because something is "useful" does not make it right.
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sr4470)
That happened to me fairly often when I was at school. You're right, outside the cities, buses arent too good.
Even in the suburbs they can be pretty rubbish... The thing that annoys me is when it's late in the evening, dark and horrible and they still drive straight past you! Grrrrr :mad:
gordon_is_fit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
[QUOTE=tommorris]Fantastic. Big Brother on the Tube. Just what we really need.QUOTE]

yes, im sure theres hoards of people sitting there, watching your every move....or MAYBE, maybe they're trying to catch terrorists and stop them blowing up the entire underground

also, public transport in london is brilliant, esp considering the state it used to be in. they froze the prices for AGES and now its going up so it feels really expensive but is actually perfectly reasonable
sr4470
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by twiga)
Even in the suburbs they can be pretty rubbish... The thing that annoys me is when it's late in the evening, dark and horrible and they still drive straight past you! Grrrrr :mad:
Thats another point, outside of 7am-6pm public transport isnt reliable or even operating (dont see any buses around here after 11pm).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise