Looking for a dress for New Years Eve! Watch

Hanski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I am going to a bar/club on New Years eve and we have tickets for the VIP section.
My boyfriend has just informed me that he has to wear a dinner suit, so I'm presuming I should be wearing a dress!?

The only kind of formal thing I've been to where I've worn anything smart was my leavers ball back when I finished school. (That was a fitted suit.)
So, could anybody suggest any shops where they sell dresses? I'm talking about good quality, I'm not so bothered about spending a bit for something nice. :p:

Also, as I've never actually bought/worn a dress (well obviously I have when I was a kid and my mum dressed me in those hideous flowering things that resembled dresses! Anyway I suppose nearly everyone's been there :p: ) .. anyway as I've never actually bought one, I'm not so sure as to what kind I should go for.
I'm 5'2", so dinky and size 8/10! I'm not a "skinny" build though. I think I'll avoid dresses that trail on the floor as that will dwarf me even more!

Anyway, any advice or help or comments even... shall be greatly apprieciated!

Thank-you!
Hannah xx
Joey12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Monsoon... nice dresses not too pricey, good selection. Can easily take them up if too long?
Savannah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Perhaps...Whistles? They seem to have a good selection of evening dresses at the moment!
ellewoods
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Coast. I adore their dresses - Im a size 10 and five foot one and they fit like a dream.

They're doing a black fitted prom style dress (but without the fluffy underneath bit) with removeable straps for 110 - classy, understated and wearable, plus you can change accessories and wear it for ever.
Im just waiting for mine
icedsilhouette
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
designers at debenems? debenems full stop actually, they did some lovely dresses when we were all looking for prom dresses... Karen Millen too, that's where I ended up getting my lovely prom dress, and they do matching shoes!
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Quite a few of the big department stores (eg Debenhams) have formal dress sections. Also have a look in your yellow pages for listed places that do evening wear...

--------------

(Original post by icedsilhouette)
Karen Millen too, that's where I ended up getting my lovely prom dress, and they do matching shoes!
That is so not fair!! I almost ended up getting my prom dress from there but didn't cos it was quite pricey and I would be paying for most of it! I reallly loved that dress though...it was black and gorgeous and..... :rolleyes:
Bottekrank
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's not a place I'd usually shop in, but Per Una at Marks and Spencers actually has some nice dresses. They have prom dresses in blue/turquoise, purple or black which are really pretty....they have little straps, are about knee-length and go out at the waist. Plus they're not too pricey (only £55)...when you compare that with Monsoon, it's very cheap.
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ideally you'd want something which is dressy enough for the dress code but somthing you'll be able to wear to other events afterwards so that you get your money's worth. Monsoon is actually quite pricey esp. for formal wear.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Different dresses suit different figures so it depends which bits you want to show off and which bits you want to hide. If you don't like your arms go for a three quarter length sleeve wrap dress, if you do then how about something strapless/skinny straps. If you've got good legs you can go shorter, good boobs something plunging,no waist, wear something thats nipped in a the waist or has a pretty belt. Also as your short don't wear shoes with ankle straps they'll make you shorter! Go for pointly stilettos or some pretty slingbacks
icedsilhouette
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by beach_surf_babe)
Quite a few of the big department stores (eg Debenhams) have formal dress sections. Also have a look in your yellow pages for listed places that do evening wear...

--------------

That is so not fair!! I almost ended up getting my prom dress from there but didn't cos it was quite pricey and I would be paying for most of it! I reallly loved that dress though...it was black and gorgeous and..... :rolleyes:
ahhh... debenhams! i knew the spelling wasnt right but i couldnt think what the right spelling was!

my karen millen dress was gorgeous! i was only able to get it because i came into some money - pistachio green with a bow and shoes to match! awww!
Hanski
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thank you! :flowers:
Hopefully I'll be going christmas shopping this weekend so I'm going to have a browse around the shops you've mentioned, if I get chance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (956)
79.8%
Leave (242)
20.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed