The Student Room Group

Does anyone know any gifted people?

I am 21, in my 3rd year at uni, been at another uni' for half a term

I only met one gifted student back in 2002, he was 21, sure you get thoses who get straight A's and 90%+ in uni' exams and coursework. But they work incredibily hard, they try to pretend they don't do no work! They have been coached on how to study and do well in coursework and exam.

This gifted guy was chinese, and he was a international student. He bascially reads the notes, he doesn't even bother using recommended textbooks, he would get 80-100% doing the work the night before or even a few hours before the deadline. He was so lazy, it was unbelievable, and he was doing a computing engineering degree.

He even did his coursework a day before it was due in, doing an all nighter

Hes been coached in China and has tons of money from parents, he also copies his chinese friends coursework, 'cause he can't be arsed to do it himself, he knew the work he copied

So, anyone know any gifted student?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sure, loads, every day goes by thinking how God screwed me bad with genes. I got red-green colourblindness and off-white teeth while some of my friends got top grades straight from the stars.

Life's a bitch. My talent's been outside school though, playing sport for my country is mine and that's something which no matter what people say about how sport will never pay the bills, is better than any top grade at school to me. Playing for Finland, winning, losing or whatever, has been my passion in life and continues to be. There are times when I've thought what I'd be capable of if I studied in my room 24/7, but it's not worth thinking about. I spend hours at practice, at the ground and at home, hours in the gym and I did spend hours studying too. Even though many people on TSR have the A's and B's I can only dream of, I realise there are some people (possibly) who may dream of playing sport at a national level so I begin to realise I'm lucky and gifted in many ways too and those grades just aren't obtainable with my priorities in life. I think university is incredibly important and can't wait to begin, but at the same time I realise that isn't everything in my life.

Sure, people getting good grades on tests when it seems they don't even try but at the end of the day hopefully everyone is talented in something, just the ones you see at school are pretty much on display where as others are more hidden.

It's 2am in the morning and I should be in bed and not posting philosophical introspective posts on how we're all special on the inside. :p:
Sounds just like me

Not the 80-100% bit though.
Reply 3
Iscariot
Sure, loads, every day goes by thinking how God screwed me bad with genes. I got red-green colourblindness and off-white teeth while some of my friends got top grades straight from the stars.

Life's a bitch. My talent's been outside school though, playing sport for my country is mine and that's something which no matter what people say about how sport will never pay the bills, is better than any top grade at school to me. Playing for Finland, winning, losing or whatever, has been my passion in life and continues to be. There are times when I've thought what I'd be capable of if I studied in my room 24/7, but it's not worth thinking about. I spend hours at practice, at the ground and at home, hours in the gym and I did spend hours studying too. Even though many people on TSR have the A's and B's I can only dream of, I realise there are some people (possibly) who may dream of playing sport at a national level so I begin to realise I'm lucky and gifted in many ways too and those grades just aren't obtainable with my priorities in life. I think university is incredibly important and can't wait to begin, but at the same time I realise that isn't everything in my life.

Sure, people getting good grades on tests when it seems they don't even try but at the end of the day hopefully everyone is talented in something, just the ones you see at school are pretty much on display where as others are more hidden.

It's 2am in the morning and I should be in bed and not posting philosophical introspective posts on how we're all special on the inside. :p:

The thing is with getting in the national side, or being in a regular in the starting 11. You must have a good relationship with the manager, no matter how good you are, you have to be modest. Sports is mainly about contacts and able to perform when theres pressure on, good luck!
Reply 4
I know loads of ppl like that.
I used to go to a private school.
Atleast 1/5 were like what you describe.

Very Lazy, arrogant (some of them), easily get top marks Unlike normal people, they wouldn't ask each other what as level grades they got, instead they would ask how many 100%'s in modules they each got.

Most of them have schlorships too, and rightly so.
About half of them, are just good academically, while the other half, can do either loads of sports or loads of music, or sometiems both.

They just make me realise how crap i am :frown:
Reply 5
itz_ant
I know loads of ppl like that.
I used to go to a private school.
Atleast 1/5 were like what you describe.

Very Lazy, arrogant (some of them), easily get top marks Unlike normal people, they wouldn't ask each other what as level grades they got, instead they would ask how many 100%'s in modules they each got.

Most of them have schlorships too, and rightly so.
About half of them, are just good academically, while the other half, can do either loads of sports or loads of music, or sometiems both.

They just make me realise how crap i am :frown:

You got 5A* 4A and 1 B at GCSE and 3 A's 1 B at AS, and you say your crap??!! :mad:

--------------

I think gifted people tends to be guys, anyone agree or disagree?

I am not biased!
Reply 6
guest1984
I think gifted people tends to be guys, anyone agree or disagree?

I am not biased!

Depends on your definition of "gifted". Males are more likely to be at the extreme ends of the bell-shaped distribution, hence more extrememly gifted people are men, but conversely, I would guess there to be the potential for more "solidly gifted" women than men.

Gifted is all relative anyways. Have you not heard of the 7 types of intelligence? The only type you've picked up on there is the classic auditory-sequential gifted.
Reply 7
I know a guy in my secondary school who could pretty much do what you describe. However, outside an academic context he was completely useless - no common sense, very little ability to transfer his skills to any practical application outside of the exam hall.

He may have been 'gifted', but he'll probably spend his life as an academic. I don't count that as a gift.
Reply 8
I wonder how can you get top marks by not even bother reading textbooks though. Usually tutors want to see you've read stuff and half a page references for a 2500 words essay doesn't get you good grades...or at least that's how things worked at my uni. But anyway, no I never met someone who is 'gifted'...I've never met someone who got over 80 in their assignments and they were stressing out like crazy and working 24/7 to get those marks...
Reply 9
guest1984
The thing is with getting in the national side, or being in a regular in the starting 11. You must have a good relationship with the manager, no matter how good you are, you have to be modest. Sports is mainly about contacts and able to perform when theres pressure on, good luck!

I feel that sport is mainly about dedication, concentration and more hardwork actually - that way the other things tend to sort themselves out by themselves. There are very few managers/coaches/etc who dislike someone who is 100% committed.

Anyway, my point was that just because you don't get top grades without even trying doesn't mean it's the end of the world.
Reply 10
guest1984

Hes been coached in China and has tons of money from parents, he also copies his chinese friends coursework, 'cause he can't be arsed to do it himself, he knew the work he copied

Isn't that plagiarism, copying somebody elses coursework?
Reply 11
You got 5A* 4A and 1 B at GCSE and 3 A's 1 B at AS, and you say your crap??!!

Compared to them, yes.
They mostly got 10A*'s a GCSE, and have got 5/6 A's at AS level.

My results are distinctly average, if not below average at that private school. Apparently, we're supposed to be the cleverest year in 5 years or somein. But I just blame that on exams getting easier.

Have you not heard of the 7 types of intelligence?

Nope. What other types of intelligence are there? Maybe I might come under another type of intelligence :smile:
Reply 12
kalen
I wonder how can you get top marks by not even bother reading textbooks though. Usually tutors want to see you've read stuff and half a page references for a 2500 words essay doesn't get you good grades...or at least that's how things worked at my uni. But anyway, no I never met someone who is 'gifted'...I've never met someone who got over 80 in their assignments and they were stressing out like crazy and working 24/7 to get those marks...

my mistake, they do use textbook occasionally

--------------

BexTait

yes, but with like maths coursework, you only get one answer, the method can be the same with different people. Its risky i agree, but if you understand what your copying, your gonna be okay
Reply 13
BexTait

yea and?
If you can change enough of it, so that you're teacher won't notice its been plagiarised, or if you know you're teacher won't check/ doesn't give a toss, then why not?

Maximum results with minimum effort.
There are varying degrees of "gifted".

For instance, I got 4A's at A Level, getting 100% in quite a few modules and do maths at Cambridge. Am I gifted compared to average? I'd say so, but on the scale of people who I am in lectures? Not a chance in hell. There are people here who when it comes to exams eat me alive. My friends at home can't believe I'm not getting top marks in my exams, but that is because they aren't seen truely brilliant people.

I know the person who had the best 3rd year maths result in the last 60 years. That is what I'd class as actually gifted, or worthy of the term "genius". He did it with minimal effort, didn't bother with the coursework and there was never ever any doubt he wasn't going to be the best in the year. He's been going to lectures 2 years above us for a while now, in order to learn new stuff.

The problem with people describing one another as "gifted" is that the majority of people see a clever person and an actual genius as about the same, because they don't understand the material those two people are doing. To the "just" clever person, he/she can see the enormous gap that will exist between themselves and the person who is a genius.

I suppose then it comes down to what exactly you define as "gifted". Is it just being very good at something, or is it being truely exception, standing head and shoulders above your peers, who are themselves considered very much above average?
Reply 15
Hmmmm.... while I would call people who get 10A*'s very very very clever, I wouldnt go as far as calling them gifted.
Gifted is when you're put ahead a few years in school and do exams a few years early. We had this family friend (who we've kind of lost touch with now) who used to go to secondary school maths lessons when he was still in primary school because it wasnt challenging enough for him. He did his maths GCSE when he was in year 8 and got an A* and did his A level when he was in year 9 and got an A (this was with old style exams as well). And he was on some tv programme years ago about gifted children. I wonder where he is now...

Anyway, thats what I'd call gifted. Not someone who just keeps up well with the work theyve been given, but someone who goes above and beyond it by far.
Reply 16
guest1984
I am 21, in my 3rd year at uni, been at another uni' for half a term

I only met one gifted student back in 2002, he was 21, sure you get thoses who get straight A's and 90%+ in uni' exams and coursework. But they work incredibily hard, they try to pretend they don't do no work! They have been coached on how to study and do well in coursework and exam.

This gifted guy was chinese, and he was a international student. He bascially reads the notes, he doesn't even bother using recommended textbooks, he would get 80-100% doing the work the night before or even a few hours before the deadline. He was so lazy, it was unbelievable, and he was doing a computing engineering degree.

He even did his coursework a day before it was due in, doing an all nighter

That pretty accurately describes my ethos all throughout A-Level; although I would be quite as liable to score sixty percent for a given piece of work as I would, one-hundred percent (depending on whether it was marked by my subject teacher, or by an examiner, respectively.)
Reply 17
itz_ant
Nope. What other types of intelligence are there? Maybe I might come under another type of intelligence :smile:

I rate very highly under Intelligence #5: the speedy construction of humorous innuendo.
Reply 18
L.J
Gifted is being able to do the fourth year Cambridge physics stuff in sixth form... I know a guy like that...

This is a case of someone "looking" gifted. I find it very difficult to believe this person can do Cambridge postgraduate level physics while in 6th form. For instance - how would you judge if he could; 99.9999% of the population wouldn't have any idea what that kind of physics looks like. This person may well be gifted - but at the moment, it would be impossible for you to judge.

We all know a few people that are waaaay beyond our own level. Relatively speaking, I'm sure everyone knows someone who is gifted. However, to truely judge someones gift, we'd have to compare across the board. As AlphaNumeric points out - plenty of people think getting 4A's at A-Level is a sign of a genius. But there are plenty of people out there with 4A's at A-Level who would look on the verge of stupid when compared to a few other "special" people.
Reply 19
Don't confuse those who are "book smart" with those who are more genuinly clever.

Latest

Trending

Trending