The Student Room Group

Biology HL exams May 2011!!!

Scroll to see replies

I drew around one of my friends and I am now filling it in with all the human physiology info. It was all nice and in proportion until a drew a giant mitochondria on her arm. But I reckon it's a pretty good way to revise :smile: It helps with all the visualization stuff.
Google search: 'Process Animation McGraw' and you'll find some really helpful animations!

Especially useful for DNA Replication and processes you need to remember in steps!

E.g. http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olcweb/cgi/pluginpop.cgi?it=swf::535::535::/sites/dl/free/0072437316/120076/micro04.swf::biggrin:NA%20Replication%20Fork

So nice! Shame about the accent, but it helps a lot.
Reply 22
k for some reason that animation site doesn't open up for me....but I find www.click4biology.com pretty helpful and of course youtube videos
Reply 23
www.ibguides.com/biology/notes/working-with-data
notes for everything from the core, and some of the AHL stuff too (and pretty good, simple notes at that)
i find click4biology a little too complex at times...ibguides is pretty straightforward and concise
good luck everyone!!
Does someone want to explain Mendel's law of independent assortment to me? :smile:
Original post by xXFrenchKicksXx
Does someone want to explain Mendel's law of independent assortment to me? :smile:

'When gametes are formed the seperation of one pair of alleles between daughter cells is independent of the seperation of another.'

Unless they are 'linked', e.g found on the same chromosome.

So basically it's like in maths when things are independent events - one happening does not affect another.

So someone receiving alleles for brown hair can still get an endless variety of eye colours because the two things don't affect one another.
Hope that helped ~
Really hate PLANT SCIENCE. Urgh!
arghhh. so who's ready for this? cos i feel like shooting myself -_-
good luck everyone (:
Reply 28
There's so much to go over.....

Good Luck and Godspeed!
Original post by Scribblet
'When gametes are formed the seperation of one pair of alleles between daughter cells is independent of the seperation of another.'

Unless they are 'linked', e.g found on the same chromosome.

So basically it's like in maths when things are independent events - one happening does not affect another.

So someone receiving alleles for brown hair can still get an endless variety of eye colours because the two things don't affect one another.
Hope that helped ~

cheers :smile:
Reply 30
DONEEEE with paper 1 and 2.
hahaa
yeah i'm 7 hours ahead of the uk..
good luck you guys!
done too :biggrin:
now there's only paper 3 left!
Done. Yum yum. Only tomorrow morning and i'm free forever from the IB :biggrin:
Reply 33
DONE with IB BIOLOGY...and my IB diploma : )
what did you guys think of paper 1 and 2?
Can we talk about it yet? Almost 24 hours...

I can't believe I've finished IB, I've been wandering around my school and house in a daze going 'I don't know how to NOT do anything'.
Original post by Scribblet
Can we talk about it yet? Almost 24 hours...

I can't believe I've finished IB, I've been wandering around my school and house in a daze going 'I don't know how to NOT do anything'.

Officially not for another 8 minutes.

Sucks that I still have French left
Bio this morning was my last exam. I'm freee, and so far today i have tidied everything, made cakes, met friends for lunch and been shopping :woo:
ok how did people find higher biology paper 1 and two? personally the paper 1 was slightly rediculous, I found paper two.... um cant memebr
but it was ok I guess Im just frustrated because my coursework was estimated a high 6 but I reckon Ill get an everage grade of a 4 on the exams *sigh*
I think paper 1 and 2 were some of the best exams I've done. Just about every question I wanted to come up came up on paper 2. I'm very happy :biggrin:
Reply 39
Well, paper one was very...how should I put this...ambiguous. Some of the questions were not even biological in nature. The one that you need to compare spongy mesophyll with a erythrocytes/alveoli was just.... when I read it I thought WHAT THE HELL EXAMINERS ARE THINKING. Genetics questions was funny too ACHOO syndrome. Also there was more biochemistry questions then physiology, which was very interesting. And I just remembered: one of the questions had two possible answers "What is carried by blood" one of the answers was heat and the other was glucagon, which one is more right.

Paper 2 was much better, glumerulus question was very good, food chain question was bad, "compare food chains to food absorption" or something like that. Part B was very good: I just wanted to yell from happiness. I did question 5 and 7. Five was very good with competitive and non-competitive inhibitions, affect on enzyme due to change in temperature and substrate concentration and Calvin cycle. Question seven was genetics question, sickle cell anaemia was very good, but I messed up a bit, then polygenic inheritance and skin colour was an awkward question . I would have done question six, but I did not understood first question , so I decided not to, do it even though the other two questions were very easy. Question eight had higher physiology, and I cannot not do higher physiology so I did not consider doing that question at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending