Does anyone else feel they just can't write an essay?

Watch
chloeee!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've always been told that I can write well, and can write fluently when I'm writing in my diary, but when it comes to essay-writing I just sit there and stare at a blank screen and my words just never seem to flow. I hate it! Literally hate, hate writing essays and it's making me feel like I just don't even want to go to university.
IlexBlue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Exactly the same. I've had chronic "writer's block" for months now. I've gone from an A-grade essay writer to getting an E in my mocks and not handing essays in for months, to the chagrin of my teachers, even after being moaned at about it several times. I can't bring myself to type anything, and when I do, it's bloody awful.

I'm hoping for a mini miracle in my exams.
chloeee!
Rep:
?
(Original post by IlexBlue)
Exactly the same. I've had chronic "writer's block" for months now. I've gone from an A-grade essay writer to getting an E in my mocks and not handing essays in for months, to the chagrin of my teachers, even after being moaned at about it several times. I can't bring myself to type anything, and when I do, it's bloody awful.

I'm hoping for a mini miracle in my exams.
Me too, but I'm starting to think it's just not going to happen
What subjects do you do?
IlexBlue
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chloeee!)
Me too, but I'm starting to think it's just not going to happen
What subjects do you do?
English Lit (essays. Essays EVERYWHERE.), French (essays in French) and Psychology, which isn't too grim, I guess... you write essays, but it's more just stating facts.
It took me around seven hours to type out 3000 words for English coursework. :rolleyes: Now very glad I didn't take History!
What about you?
Mr Goon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This happens to everyone now and then. For AS i achieved 96 ums average in history but this year although the content isn't that much harder, it takes me 10 minutes at the very least to put pen to paper, a psychological thing I think when u haven't been writing as much u used to.
chloeee!
Rep:
?
English Lit (essays. Essays EVERYWHERE.), French (essays in French) and Psychology, which isn't too grim, I guess... you write essays, but it's more just stating facts.
It took me around seven hours to type out 3000 words for English coursework. :rolleyes: Now very glad I didn't take History!
What about you?
English Lit as well (what I'm trying to do now), Politics and Psychology. I've reached a point now where I wish I'd just taken three sciences instead.
Bella Occhi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What about you?
I do exactly the same subjects as you and it's a nightmare isn't it :mad: I get essay block so much for English!
siani-chan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have an actual nightmare with essays, I really know how you feel. It takes me forever to even type a sentence, let alone the whole thing. I mean, now I'm in uni, there aren't so many essays, but lab reports and tutorial essays (which I still haven't written, these were due in before christmas...) I haven't actually written an essay since early AS level so I've kind of lost whatever ability I had.

I'm doing Physics so there aren't so many essays, but I just dread lab reports. Also hoping for a massive lab report instead of a dissertation in my third year...
Lord Meh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel your pain, I'm the same. If I'm answering questions I do fine (mostly) but the last essay I wrote was soooooo bad my teacher didnt even bother to mark it =(. I can talk about what im thinking but when it comes to put it all in an essay it tends to go fall apart.
Keckers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I struggle much more when typing out essays than when I am hand writing them.

I always find the first paragraph the hardest to write but after that I'm fine. That said some of the introductions to my History essays have been abysmal...
Arekkusu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have the other problem - I can only think clearly when I'm writing, so as soon as I put pen to paper it just goes all over the place and I end up with about 3000 words to cut out.
kashim91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing the three sciences and maths, I thought i was safe for essays, but I've found recently that the last unit contains a synoptic essay which is worth 25% of the whole paper! I haven't written an essay in over two years and I was never very good at them. I'm really worried as I need a very high B in my final exam to get an A overall, and the essay is a big setback.
oogabooga6969
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello, i've always been a chronic procrastinator and I can never seem to get stuff done. I even wrote my last essay about procrastination. I have no motivation to do any work and I'm sitting here writing this response in my English class instead of doing the essay we were assigned to finish.
oogabooga6969
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kashim91)
I'm doing the three sciences and maths, I thought i was safe for essays, but I've found recently that the last unit contains a synoptic essay which is worth 25% of the whole paper! I haven't written an essay in over two years and I was never very good at them. I'm really worried as I need a very high B in my final exam to get an A overall, and the essay is a big setback.
im sorry that happened to you if theres anythibg i can do to help feel free to lmk
nocturnalanimal
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At the moment I learn the topic of my essay I experience the flow of inspiration appearing in my head. Usually I've got too many ideas and I can dwell upon 1. Then start thinking and it exhauts me very much. I get very tired just during brainstorming, without starting writing the text itself.
Ihfbbd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I totally feel you. It's like I know exactly what I want to say but I just can't write it and when I do write I feel like it's not good enough. Uggh I hate it
Sundayn78
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How do you complete the paper? I have a 3 page paper due tomorrow, I’ve completed my research, but I when I start writing or typing nothing happens. Just a blank screen, and I was so overwhelmed I cried.
hopetowrite
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm so much the same. Tons of IDEA flowing flowing through my head for so long, and did not get them on paper (screen), then, when the paper, needs to be brought about with sound logic, beginning, introduction, laying out question, then interviews, then findings, then design (this is part of the paper), then... I just really scratch and 'grabbed' things together on paper (screen) which I myself did not want to/dare to look at... ((
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chloeee!)
I've always been told that I can write well, and can write fluently when I'm writing in my diary, but when it comes to essay-writing I just sit there and stare at a blank screen and my words just never seem to flow. I hate it! Literally hate, hate writing essays and it's making me feel like I just don't even want to go to university.
This is exactly me besides from the ever writing fluently bit. You'll see my posts on here for example are never very long. And so writing my personal statement is genuinely the achievement in my life that I'm proudest of. To this day I'm amazed I spewed so much ****.
smartbutstupid
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have the same problem, I have to write an essay per subject (IB: maths, chemistry, physics, literature, psychology and French). I have done half and I am so exhausted, I try so hard but I just end up staring at the screen. I'm fine at exams, I get good grades, even people around me say my writing is very good. But it terrifies me and I always lack words and break down on the due date.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (283)
56.71%
I don't have everything I need (216)
43.29%

Watched Threads