The Student Room Group

A2 Sociology OCR Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Ohhh dearr! I'm absolutely dreading this exam >.< I've done a lot of work and yet I still feel so unprepared :L

How I've been revising is:

1. Research Methods - Tables of all the different research methods, with advantages and disadvantages and other studies which you could link to each of the areas. Also advantages and disadvantages of each theoretical standpoint.

- I'm hoping we don't get a question on sampling, or content analysis because I can't for the life of me remember the stuff.

2. Social Inequality -

Because the 20 mark question is usually on how certain groups are advantaged/disadvantaged I've made tables of these for: Men, women, young, middle, old, working, middle and upper classes. So I'm just trying to learn those.

And for the 40 mark theorist question, I've made lists of the key areas: Class, Age, Gender and Ethnicity, and I have a few studies for each area of theory.

-I'm hoping not to need to use Weber at any point because I don't have a cluee :/

Good Luck Guys!!
Reply 61
Does anyone have any typed up notes which they could copy and paste here? I'm specifically looking for studies to relate to different types of methodology, I'm alright with all the concepts but I could do with a few more studies to back up my points.
Original post by liamcol123
I literally have no idea to revise this in a way that would give me good exam technique, it's all so broad! What would you guys reccomend? Like, pick and choose 2 important looking theories for each school of thought (Ya know, functionalism, marxism etc.), or just work my a*se off remembering the entire lot... Seriously, any help would be appreciated, I'm absoloutley bricking it!

my revision today has focused around gender and age - whizz through those if you dont have any time.
for the part a 20 mark question i have made lists of evidence for each possible question although i done this a few months ago - takes some time try and learn the main ones.

and for the long essay for good exam technique i would do 3 stages to each paragraph/point - evidence of theory e.g. Marxist thinker for age Philipson (1982) points towards old people being marginalised due to their needs being incompatible with capitalisms profit making - in a nutshell they dont have the spending power so are deemed unneccesary.

I would then back this up with evidence - pensioners only get 126 a week and most of it is spent on fuel - 1.2 million pensioners are in fuel poverty (10% of their income directly goes on gas/electric) - because of this its clear to see they are of no use to capitalists.

I'd then shoot down this point for eval marks by saying postmodernists argue old people are now characterised by their added spending power and can engage in things such as cosmetic surgery and cruises.

You'd then have a basis to start a new paragraph on postmodern explanations.

so pretty much theory,evidence, eval.

not sure how good this is, feel free to shoot me down anyone if its not so good but I've seen model answers which look along the lines of this
Original post by Surfacing
Does anyone have any typed up notes which they could copy and paste here? I'm specifically looking for studies to relate to different types of methodology, I'm alright with all the concepts but I could do with a few more studies to back up my points.

I'm typing some up for a friend at the moment - what type of facts do you want. they dont implicitly refer to the theory but can be used to back up if you mould it in the right way i think
Reply 64
Original post by arsenal111
my revision today has focused around gender and age - whizz through those if you dont have any time.
for the part a 20 mark question i have made lists of evidence for each possible question although i done this a few months ago - takes some time try and learn the main ones.

and for the long essay for good exam technique i would do 3 stages to each paragraph/point - evidence of theory e.g. Marxist thinker for age Philipson (1982) points towards old people being marginalised due to their needs being incompatible with capitalisms profit making - in a nutshell they dont have the spending power so are deemed unneccesary.

I would then back this up with evidence - pensioners only get 126 a week and most of it is spent on fuel - 1.2 million pensioners are in fuel poverty (10% of their income directly goes on gas/electric) - because of this its clear to see they are of no use to capitalists.

I'd then shoot down this point for eval marks by saying postmodernists argue old people are now characterised by their added spending power and can engage in things such as cosmetic surgery and cruises.

You'd then have a basis to start a new paragraph on postmodern explanations.

so pretty much theory,evidence, eval.

not sure how good this is, feel free to shoot me down anyone if its not so good but I've seen model answers which look along the lines of this

You're amazing! Thank you so much, seriously appreciated, just another quick question if you don't mind :rolleyes:

"evidence for each possible question" for part a, would the possible things be Social Class, Age and gender (ignoring ethnicity)? If so I'll whip that out now, and also where would changes to the class structure come in?! Because it's got its own little section on the spec, but hasn't come up in any past papers...

Again, thank you so much, you may have helped me into uni :biggrin:
Original post by liamcol123
You're amazing! Thank you so much, seriously appreciated, just another quick question if you don't mind :rolleyes:

"evidence for each possible question" for part a, would the possible things be Social Class, Age and gender (ignoring ethnicity)? If so I'll whip that out now, and also where would changes to the class structure come in?! Because it's got its own little section on the spec, but hasn't come up in any past papers...

Again, thank you so much, you may have helped me into uni :biggrin:

topics they ask for class it can be varied and I haven't done tables for that as I'm avoiding it at all costs.

for age it will be young/old or general age disadvantage where you can mix both I assume.

for gender it will be male/female disadvantage or again, a mix of both.

would seriously focus on age if I were you, its so small and most likely to come up !
Reply 66
topics they ask for class it can be varied and I haven't done tables for that as I'm avoiding it at all costs.

for age it will be young/old or general age disadvantage where you can mix both I assume.

for gender it will be male/female disadvantage or again, a mix of both.

would seriously focus on age if I were you, its so small and most likely to come up !

Get innnn, Age is the only one I'm reasonably confident with, Let's hope part A's on age and part B's on functionalism! Would be a dream world... And ya reckon research methods will be on sampling? That'd be coooll, being a psychology student has some advantages I guess aha
a part B on functionalism would probably be like assess functionalist explanations of age so you still gotta know the others for eval marks. and yea sampling most likely for research.
going to cram some facts. good luck!
Reply 68
a part B on functionalism would probably be like assess functionalist explanations of age so you still gotta know the others for eval marks. and yea sampling most likely for research.
going to cram some facts. good luck!

Awesome, cheers for the help :smile: Best of luck to you too!
Reply 69
Quick-fire question here, when the question says 'Outline and assess [Theoretical] views on SOCIAL inequality' for a part B question, does it mean JUST social class or can you go on about gender/ethnicity/age as well? Usually with these, the 'a' question is about Class evidence so I'm confused. Thanks :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by Shuu
Quick-fire question here, when the question says 'Outline and assess [Theoretical] views on SOCIAL inequality' for a part B question, does it mean JUST social class or can you go on about gender/ethnicity/age as well? Usually with these, the 'a' question is about Class evidence so I'm confused. Thanks :smile:

Actually had a model answer for that exact question somewhere from the cheif examiner, focus on class for all theory, but it had a paragraph on feminist at the end before the conclusion saying like however, (radical) feminists believe class in not the cause of inequality but it is in fact patriarchy blah blah.. So focus on class on that question, but it lets you throw in a tiny bit of other areas if you need to.
I think i've about got the theory down. I've been revising gender and age mostly today... I've done tables for how each age group is advantaged/disadvantaged but I'm really struggling to find ways in which old people can be seen as advantaged. Can anyone here help me??
Reply 72
Original post by ThisIsMe<3
I think i've about got the theory down. I've been revising gender and age mostly today... I've done tables for how each age group is advantaged/disadvantaged but I'm really struggling to find ways in which old people can be seen as advantaged. Can anyone here help me??

I'm going over it all now, all I got in terms of them being advantaged is within other cultures (useless if the question asks about the contempary UK mind..) when elders are hugely respected and wise blah blah blah, and also Milne et al (1999) constructed a theory of "grey power" where he split the old into two groups, the one living with a good pension and a great standard of living, who are seen as valuable assets to society, and the other which are your average poverty stricken lot. So yeah, I guess that could be evidence of them being advantaged? I don't quite know, make of that what you will, I only started revision yesterday and I'm awful at this subject :frown: Good luck!
Thank youu :smile:

Well I have a few other points of them being advantaged now.

Free Healthcare; Free bus pass and other leisure activities; Winter fuel allowance. You could also bring in victimology where although they think they're the most likely victims, they are one of the safest groups because people respect them. You could also mention Grundy and Henretta's sandwich generation - where women are supposed to look after their parents as they get older so I suppose that could be an advantage.

I've been revising for ages, but struggling because I have exams on Monday, Weds, Thurs and Friday this week so it's hard to find time to revise each topic!

Thank you, good luck to you also :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by ThisIsMe<3
Thank youu :smile:

Well I have a few other points of them being advantaged now.

Free Healthcare; Free bus pass and other leisure activities; Winter fuel allowance. You could also bring in victimology where although they think they're the most likely victims, they are one of the safest groups because people respect them. You could also mention Grundy and Henretta's sandwich generation - where women are supposed to look after their parents as they get older so I suppose that could be an advantage.

I've been revising for ages, but struggling because I have exams on Monday, Weds, Thurs and Friday this week so it's hard to find time to revise each topic!

Thank you, good luck to you also :smile:

Ahh wow! Cheers for these aha, I know what you mean to a lesser extent aha, I got exams Monday, Tuesday and Friday. I just want it to end, so I can go and get horrendously drunk and forget everything to do with "Weberism". euuughhhh.
Don't get me started on Weberism. I hope hope hope I don't really need to talk about it, because it really does confuse me. Getting drunk sounds like a very good plan to me. ^_^ I've a feeling if my socio resit on Weds is anything to go by then I'll be needing it :L
Reply 76
I am literally ignoring huge parts of this spec (Ethinicity, Weberism and most of social class aha), I will be absoloutley screwed if OCR are mean! Pfffttt, I only need a C, surely can't be that hard to get?! It's annoying being on OCR, no sample essays annnyyywwhhhheerrreee. I'M GOING CRAZY!
I've done a bit on ethnicity but aren't focussing too much on it as my tutor thinks that because it's been on the last three papers it's unlikely to come up again. If it does, well I'll answer the other question. Age and Gender I know like the back of my hand, and Social Class I haven't quite progressed too re-revising yet. How are you on research methods?? I think I need a B on this paper because I doubt my G673 resit has improved haha. Tell me about it; I do have an OCR revision guide which has a few sample essays in it though.

Just think, after tomorrow you never need to think of sociology again!! ^^
Reply 78
Ahh yeah I know, SO looking forward to finishing! However, at the rate I'm going, I'll probably end up failing and having to retake in January :/ Yeahhhh that G673 was awful! Feminist explanations of women being victims?! I was all smiles before I read victim aha, ended up doing locality and Marxism (Oh, assuming you did crime & deviance...).

My book's so vague, then again that might just be sociology... Well, better get back to cramming!
I have a feeling I'll be joining you on the January resits. I did indeed do crime and deviance :L Well I completely ignored feminism because I revised pretty much every other topic. So yeahh I did the same as you. Marxism wasn't broad enough to use every study so I struggled, and all I knew for locality of crime was what I'd read in one of my books that lunch time.

Good luck to you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending