Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
When asked to describe the structure of Aluminium Oxide the markscheme states the following (see attachment).

Now I understand everything except the last statement.

with strong covalent bonding throughout the lattice
I am aware that Al2O3 has a degree of covalent character to it but I've never understood how in the ionic lattice the covalency would make itself known.

Can anyone describe it for me ?
Attached files
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the use of the word "lattice" there was perhaps a poor choice. What they must mean is "strong covalent bonds throughout the giant structure". By giant structure this means something similar to that formed by diamond or SiO2 where the atoms are all held together by covalent bonds rather than intermolecular forces between discrete molecules. Al2O3 has some of this character in its bonding as well some character of an ionic lattice.
Ari Ben Canaan
Rep:
?
Could I have a second opinion ?
Ari Ben Canaan
Rep:
?
Anyone ?

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
x
chembob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kyri)
I think the use of the word "lattice" there was perhaps a poor choice. What they must mean is "strong covalent bonds throughout the giant structure". By giant structure this means something similar to that formed by diamond or SiO2 where the atoms are all held together by covalent bonds rather than intermolecular forces between discrete molecules. Al2O3 has some of this character in its bonding as well some character of an ionic lattice.
This
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that it would be ionic - 2 Al3+ ions and 3 O2- ions bonded together ionically - two aluminium atom transferring 6 electrons to three oxygen atoms.
chembob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that it would be ionic - 2 Al3+ ions and 3 O2- ions bonded together ionically - two aluminium atom transferring 6 electrons to three oxygen atoms.
Yes, within an individual molecule that is correct
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
Various texts quote different numbers for this but I've considered electronegativity differences above 2.0 to give mostly ionic character. For example MgO has an electronegativity difference of 2.13 and is an ionic compound. For Al2O3 it is 1.83 so is nearly ionic but not completely. It is certainly significantly polar though.
ZacNye
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
intramolecular bonding and intermolecular bonding are different, so within the molecule there is ionic bonding but between the molecules i.e. within the lattice, there are strong covalent forces holding them together. This is Instead of van-der-waal forces.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (244)
54.1%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.64%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.41%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.32%