Anyone know of any FREE Electrical CAD software? Watch

boingboing
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
On my course I have to do a hell of a lot of drawings, which I guess would be easier and quicker to do on a CAD package, we have AutoCAD at uni but I don't find it very usefull for creating electrical drawings. For a start I have to draw all the symbols first, was wondering if anyone knew of a free package that could do this, and save me a lot of time messing with AutoCAD, or even worse with my pencil and ruler! Any help would be greatfully received.

Boing
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.freewarehome.com/

Scroll down on the left until you get to "Graphics" and theres an option for "Drawing, CAD". Give some of them a try, they should be gree as they are on a freeware site

Oop,s didnt notice you wanted electrical, some of them might cover it though.
prXXX344d
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
blender?
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You could try getting your hands on a copy of Crocodile Clips. That's pretty good for fairly basic electronic CAD and is a realistic testing environment
boingboing
Was hoping to find something with symbols already stored on it, rather than having to draw my own and save them as a block? Anyone used a package with symbols already drawn, going to need quite a few and possibly more than a couple of sheets, it's going to be part of my final year project.

boing
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Somthing like Visio would be good, I had a legal copy of crocodile clips once which came with a magazine, I am not sure what happened to it though.

You need to look for flow diagram software which has the electronic circuit symbols, some of them are likely to contain the american version of the symbols though which can differ slightly.
cosmik_debris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When you say electrical what do you mean? Electronic?

There's the school-type croc clips and livewire type things, which to be honest, aren't very good nor powerful. I personally use Proteus ISIS which is absolutely supurb but also very expensive. Your best bet is PSPICE student edition which is free and, as the name suggests, includes a SPICE simulator.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
search for 'eagle'. good program for schematics and PCB layouts. only problem is the PCBs have a limited size
boingboing
(Original post by cosmik_debris)
When you say electrical what do you mean? Electronic?

There's the school-type croc clips and livewire type things, which to be honest, aren't very good nor powerful. I personally use Proteus ISIS which is absolutely supurb but also very expensive. Your best bet is PSPICE student edition which is free and, as the name suggests, includes a SPICE simulator.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/
To be honest it's going to be a bit of both, I'll be using PSPICE for the Electronic element, but was looking for something more Electrical for the control and power elements of my FYP. I definately saw the engineers on my placement year use a certain package that allowed this, it'd update the diagram numbering etc.. should you insert more than one symbol of the same type etc.. The guy i worked with is on holiday now until Jan so i can't get hold of him to ask about it. All the symbol were to a certain standard too.

Any ideas guys?
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
You could try getting your hands on a copy of Crocodile Clips. That's pretty good for fairly basic electronic CAD and is a realistic testing environment
We had Crocodile Clips at my secondary school. Great program - so many science lessons spent making the largest on-screen explosions possible in the chemistry bit. I think the electronics part was pretty good too.
cosmik_debris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by boingboing)
To be honest it's going to be a bit of both, I'll be using PSPICE for the Electronic element, but was looking for something more Electrical for the control and power elements of my FYP. I definately saw the engineers on my placement year use a certain package that allowed this, it'd update the diagram numbering etc.. should you insert more than one symbol of the same type etc.. The guy i worked with is on holiday now until Jan so i can't get hold of him to ask about it. All the symbol were to a certain standard too.

Any ideas guys?
Sounds like ISIS.
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TomD22)
We had Crocodile Clips at my secondary school. Great program - so many science lessons spent making the largest on-screen explosions possible in the chemistry bit. I think the electronics part was pretty good too.
done that aswell. fill the screen with bulbs and out a higher voltage thru them and blow them
boingboing
Hi again and thanks for your replies,

I've found some free Electrical CAD software for Students, I just thought i'd let you lot know after your help. This software is free and quite impressive, aparently this company's software is used by AIRBUS?? Anyway, if any of you fancy a look here's the address.

http://www.ige-xao.fr/ige/siteigexao.nsf/(vLotusListeRubriqueDocument)/FF7D9E094717800AC12570D900397A3C ?OpenDocument&LG=en

Or go to http://www.ige-xao.co.uk and have a look on products.

Just thought i'd let you know!!

Boing
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
If you have the Microsoft Office Pro Suite then you can use Microsoft Visio
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
man crocodile clips rule! remembering playing aorund with that a few years back. I liked doing stupid things with it!
boingboing
Hi again and thanks for your replies,

I've found some free Electrical CAD software for Students, I just thought i'd let you lot know after your help. This software is free and quite impressive, aparently this company's software is used by AIRBUS?? Anyway, if any of you fancy a look here's the address.

http://www.ige-xao.fr/ige/siteigexao.nsf/(vLotusListeRubriqueDocument)/FF7D9E094717800AC12570D900397A3C ?OpenDocument&LG=en

Or go to http://www.ige-xao.co.uk and have a look on products.

Just thought i'd let you know!!

Boing

Just had an email from this company thanking me for downloading their software - £3500 for the package to professionals!! Just been using it since last night and it's already saving me time. To think i was panicing about having to mess around drawing loads of symbols!!!
boingboing
Just had an email from this company thanking me for downloading their software - £3500 for the package to professionals!! Just been using it since last night and it's already saving me time. To think i was panicing about having to mess around drawing loads of symbols!!!
oops, what have i done???
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
:confused: well you've certainly confused me now.

Care to elaborate?
Flukey
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MorbidAngel)
done that aswell. fill the screen with bulbs and out a higher voltage thru them and blow them
ah the memories
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does Visio actually test the circuit for you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (849)
80.7%
Leave (203)
19.3%

Watched Threads