The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 6B (6PH08) Experiments!!

Scroll to see replies

I'll confirm the stop watch uncertainty by tomorrow (I.A.).
Reply 81
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Hmmmm . . . in my notes, the uncertainty for stopwatch is 0.2s.

=.=

It depends with different experiments. Sometimes it could even be as high as 0.4(s). But as far as I am concerned its 0.1 (s) in most of the experiments in our book.
Reply 82
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
I'll confirm the stop watch uncertainty by tomorrow (I.A.).

Thanks dude!
Coz in da specimen Q ... for 20 oscillations.. they've taken it as 0.5 in the Marking scheme ... And evn if i use 0.1*(1/20) i don't get 0.5s :/:confused:
Reply 83
Original post by Samia99
Thanks dude!
Coz in da specimen Q ... for 20 oscillations.. they've taken it as 0.5 in the Marking scheme ... And evn if i use 0.1*(1/20) i don't get 0.5s :/:confused:

Dude !! Whats up with ruler thingy ?

Metre Rule
Take the resolution as ±1 mm. This may be unduly pessimistic, especially if care is taken to avoid parallax errors. It should be remembered that all length measurements using rules actually involve two readings one at each end both of which are subject to uncertainty

May 2010 - 2bi) Why not 2mm ?
Reply 84
Original post by Samia99
Thanks dude!

Dont Rely totally on the Mark Scheme i my teacher attende one of the workshops for Edexcel Physics They said for uncertainities there are many answers we just give one of them.... i have seen the specimen ppr even if u use 0.1 it will be fine
Reply 85
For ppl looking for help on planning experiments questions here are some i have combined from the old syllabus

These Include from June 2008 to Jan 2010 .... I will try to find more before June 2008

Attached
JazakAllah khair saadmannan! :biggrin:

do u by anychance know da precautions taken for the Simple Harmonic Motions?? :biggrin:
Reply 87
Original post by hymnschan
What about the following expts:

*Practical 12 The relationship between the pressure and temperature of a gas
*Practical 13 The relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas
*Practical 14 Measurement of the activity of a radioactive source
*Practical 15 Simulation of radioactive decay
*Practical 16 Graphical representation of simple harmonic motion

Can you also upload them? :smile:

sorry about the delayy.. there are also others i uploaded which i thought you may need :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by warkan
Yeah that's why i got confused. its mentioned in this booklet called 'definitions'. Probably downloaded form this or studentforumbiz. So what do we do about it ?

Also one more question !!

Metre Rule
Take the resolution as ±1 mm. This may be unduly pessimistic, especially if care is taken to avoid parallax errors. It should be remembered that all length measurements using rules actually involve two readings one at each end both of which are subject to uncertainty.

Does this mean then the uncertainty would be plus or minus 2mm if we a take a measurement using a ruler? But in may 2010 - 2bi) its given as just 1mm ?

take resolutuion of metre rule as plur or minus 1mm always unless stated otherwise in the question.
Reply 89
here are some cambridge papers for planning that may help for unit 6B.. just ignore the error bars for the graphs questions as this is not in the edexcel syllabus.
Reply 90
Original post by saadmannan
For ppl looking for help on planning experiments questions here are some i have combined from the old syllabus

These Include from June 2008 to Jan 2010 .... I will try to find more before June 2008

Attached

thanks alot... do you by any chance have questions on uncetainties and percentage uncertainties?
Reply 91
Original post by kushil
take resolutuion of metre rule as plur or minus 1mm always unless stated otherwise in the question.

Thanks for the papers and the practicals from the teachers guide ! :smile:

So when will the uncertainty ever become 2 mm for a ruler ? When you measure twice ? Like when you measure the extension for the spring ?
Reply 92
Original post by warkan
Thanks for the papers and the practicals from the teachers guide ! :smile:

So when will the uncertainty ever become 2 mm for a ruler ? When you measure twice ? Like when you measure the extension for the spring ?

your welcome :smile:

uhmm i dont think it ever becomes 2mm unless the question says "a student uses a metre rule which has a precision of 2mm to measure (for example) the length of a glass block"
butt whenever you use a ruler, always use uncertainty as 1mm :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by kushil
your welcome :smile:

uhmm i dont think it ever becomes 2mm unless the question says "a student uses a metre rule which has a precision of 2mm to measure (for example) the length of a glass block"
butt whenever you use a ruler, always use uncertainty as 1mm :smile:

oh thanks!! :smile: And one more question...when you get the uncertainty to be 0.01 can it be taken as 0.1 ? it seems crazy but i read it somewhere...
Reply 94
Thanks saad & Kushil xD

And yea warkan for metre rule let's go for 1mm lyk in da [june 10 ppr]
Anf for stop watch let's just go for 0.1s! k?
Reply 95
Original post by warkan
oh thanks!! :smile: And one more question...when you get the uncertainty to be 0.01 can it be taken as 0.1 ? it seems crazy but i read it somewhere...

uhmm i knoww where youu read that.. it meanss that if you're looking at uncertaintyy in one reading then use 0.01.. but if there are a set of readings, the uncertainty for the average of the readings will be 0.1....
p.s. this is for a stopwatch
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Samia99
Thanks saad & Kushil xD

And yea warkan for metre rule let's go for 1mm lyk in da [june 10 ppr]
Anf for stop watch let's just go for 0.1s! k?

Yup ruler - 1mm and stop watch 0.1 (s) . Thumbs up :tongue:

And when finding percentage uncertainty can it be to any number of s.f? Isn't it usually the absolute uncertainty that must be given to 1s.f?
Reply 97
Original post by kushil
uhmm i knoww where youu read that.. it meanss that if you're looking at uncertaintyy in one reading then use 0.01.. but if there are a set of readings, the uncertainty for the average of the readings will be 0.1....
p.s. this is for a stopwatch

Oh right !! Thank god ! i got really confused with that one ! Lets just stick with 0.1 for a stop watch ! Hope edexcel will still award marks for that :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by warkan
Yup ruler - 1mm and stop watch 0.1 (s) . Thumbs up :tongue:

And when finding percentage uncertainty can it be to any number of s.f? Isn't it usually the absolute uncertainty that must be given to 1s.f?

The precision to which the Percentage unceratainity is given depends on the Precision to which the Data is given,

For eg if data is 2.1,2.2,2.3 etc, then Precentage uncertainity will b to 2s.f as the data is to 2.sf.
Reply 99
Original post by kushil
sorry about the delayy.. there are also others i uploaded which i thought you may need :smile:

Thanks man!!! Much needed, Much appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending