Information on the following uni's pleesh! Watch

RickyHolland
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ok so since im going to be getting pretty low UCAS points ive had to apply to for not so good universities. I was just wondering what you guys can tell me about the following universities and which ones you feel are the best. Ive included the university and the course im applying for at that specific uni below. Cheers!

English/Film Studies - Anglia Ruskin University (formerly Anglia Polytechnic University)

English and Film & Media Studies - The University of Bolton

English and Film Studies - De Montfort University

English Literature and Film Studies - London Metropolitan University

Film Studies and English Literature - Staffordshire University

English and Media & Cultural Studies - University of Wolverhampton

Any information at all please, havent been able to go to any open days :/
Thanks again!
poltroon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would say De Montfort.
BexTait
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Again I would say DeMontfort would be the best out of those listed, it seems to have a good reputation for a number of things. I didn't even know Bolton had a Uni!
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
DeMontfort.

I knew Bolton had a uni..but don't know if it is any good!
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't go to Wolverhampton. Bad area.
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dont have any knowledge on them, But some people like rankings.. So Heres the Times rankings for them if it helps.
79 - Staffordshire
91 - Demonford
94 - Anglia Ruskin
113 - Wolverhampton
117 - Bolton
No Ranking on London Met.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Unless they've moved which campus its on English at wolv used to be on the hideous Dudley campus the library is quite good though and wolverhampton nightlife isn't bad also the employment rate at wolv is alot better than alot of the lower ranked unis.
Poica
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Unless they've moved which campus its on English at wolv used to be on the hideous Dudley campus the library is quite good though and wolverhampton nightlife isn't bad also the employment rate at wolv is alot better than alot of the lower ranked unis.
What happened to the punctuation of that sentence then?
SianyLou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bolton has a uni...my uncle lectures there..........but its not very reputable.
hanadeka2002
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anglia Ruskin-depends which campus you are at.I don't know much about Chelmsford but Cambridge is a nice place. I think Cambridge Uni students call Anglia Ruskin the 'Early Learning Centre' though!

Bolton-Avoid at all costs.Bolton is A DUMP.Yes,Danny McFly and Vernon Kay come from Bolton but seriously,apart from that it's full of chavs.I'm from a place not far from Bolton....

DeMontfort-I don't know much about it but I think it's supposed to be OK.

London Met-worst uni in the country apparently!I'd avoid.I've not heard many positive things about this uni at all.

Wolverhampton-not a nice area really.I don't know anything about the uni.

Staffordshire-I think it's a bit rural if I'm not mistaken.Depends whether you want a city life or a country life while you are at uni.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Poica)
What happened to the punctuation of that sentence then?
my keyboard I have a problem with certain keys since i spilled coffee on it.
*soph*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
De Montford and Staffordshire are the best of the six as far as reputation goes, but it'd probably be a good idea to visit them because reputation doesn't mean it's right for you.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Staffordshire isn't "rural", it's right next to Stoke on Trent station.
katman
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cherrychocolate)
Staffordshire-I think it's a bit rural if I'm not mistaken.Depends whether you want a city life or a country life while you are at uni.
:eek:
lol, staffordshire is not rural at all! it's full on city-life, albeit with not much life going on! no countryside whatsoever, only on the edges of the county... i.e cheshire.
so u are mistaken, becuz i live there... not a very nice place tho.. not much nightlife, significant population of chavs... was once voted the second worst city to live in a few years bak!
hope that helps...

--------------

(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
Staffordshire isn't "rural", it's right next to Stoke on Trent station.
lol, u beat me to it!
vickyrkenya
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Do you mean APU in Chelmsford? I don't go to APU, but i do come from Chelmsford and occasionally use the APU sports centre when im home, so i might be able to give you some info about it.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wolverhampton.....bad reputation as a uni. I know when I was at 6th Form in Birmingham it was the uni people who couldn't get in anywhere else went to...and that's still the general consensus among people I know round there, including some who went to the uni!
hanadeka2002
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by katman)
:eek:
lol, staffordshire is not rural at all! it's full on city-life, albeit with not much life going on! no countryside whatsoever, only on the edges of the county... i.e cheshire.
so u are mistaken, becuz i live there... not a very nice place tho.. not much nightlife, significant population of chavs... was once voted the second worst city to live in a few years bak!
hope that helps...

--------------

lol, u beat me to it!
Oh,OK,my bad.Am I confusing it with somewhere then?*weird*
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the APU in Cambridge does English. I have a friend who graduated from Cambridge in Philosophy and then went to APU to do English(bizarre decision) and is loving it and the attendant modules. However, I'm clueless to anything about the campus.
nef
Report 13 years ago
I did my foundation year at London Met, and although I haven't seen the rooms that apply to your course, I can pretty surely say it's not a great choice. Our end of the year exhibition was rather crap, it seemed all the artists with actual talent were in foundation, then wised up and left, since the artorks on display from other classes were quite ****.

Plus, London Met's split up into several different buildings around London, there's no fuzzy university feeling to it at all, and the student union is almost nonexistant.
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
wolverhampton...i wouldnt go there, just my opinion but as said above it was the place where the people who couldnt get good grades went. I dotn think its very gud, tho they do do lots of courses there. all depends wat ur after. Dont think stafford is rural the uni, but theres not a lot to do there, and it depends wat part of staffordshire your on bout cus my friends and boyfriend live in staffordshire (south) and thats considered rural as its farms all the way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed