Can anyone explain Donnie Darko to me?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I watched it last night and am so confused! Rep for the best explanation! Thanks
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
I watched it last night and am so confused! Rep for the best explanation! Thanks
basically at the end he goes back in time to save his gf and kills himself so he wont know the girl so the engine drops on him and he dies and that girl does not get killed because she never knew him at the end
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
basically at the end he goes back in time to save his gf and kills himself so he wont know the girl so the engine drops on him and he dies and that girl does not get killed because she never knew him at the end
well, i guess i needn't have ordered the dvd coming out tomorrow. Thanks soooooo much eric for spoiling it for me!! (j/k)

i like knowing how films go anyway.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by rednirt)
well, i guess i needn't have ordered the dvd coming out tomorrow. Thanks soooooo much eric for spoiling it for me!! (j/k)

i like knowing how films go anyway.
Lol, you really shouldn't have clicked on a thread saying "can anyone explain donnie darko to me" then!

I'm still confused though, who is the rabbit guy really? What was the whole deal with grandma death?!
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Lol, you really shouldn't have clicked on a thread saying "can anyone explain donnie darko to me" then!

I'm still confused though, who is the rabbit guy really? What was the whole deal with grandma death?!
the rabbit guy was his imagination who made donnie darko do things like destroy the school stuff etc*
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

thats exactly why i did open the thread.

Apparently its as weird as you make out (what with the bunny and not really getting it) oh I can't wait till it arrives!!! I love weird films.
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Apparently its as weird as you make out (what with the bunny and not really getting it) oh I can't wait till it arrives!!! I love weird films.
well to be honest i found the film boring
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

is the movie actuall any good ???
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
is the movie actuall any good ???
my answer is no, way to confusing and boring
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by eric bischoff)
the rabbit guy was his imagination who made donnie darko do things like destroy the school stuff etc*
So who was that guy he shot at the end then? And if it was just his imagination, how could he have known that that self-help guy was evil?
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So who was that guy he shot at the end then? And if it was just his imagination, how could he have known that that self-help guy was evil?
i am so confused.

I really cant remember that bit
serendipity
Rep:
?
And what was that thing about the thing Donnie saw that came out of everyone's chests?
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And what was that thing about the thing Donnie saw that came out of everyone's chests?
i think that was the thing that was gonna destroy the world
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The point is that everyone follows a set path: fate. Those tube thingys were an indication of where people are going - ie. their future.
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr White)
The point is that everyone follows a set path: fate. Those tube thingys were an indication of where people are going - ie. their future.
Yes i understood that, but was he actually mad or was he really seeing those things?
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes i understood that, but was he actually mad or was he really seeing those things?
That's the point of the film: was he mad, or was it fate and God's will?
serendipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr White)
That's the point of the film: was he mad, or was it fate and God's will?
Oh no, I was worried you were going to say that. Grr, films like that just annoy me. I want an answer!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oh no, I was worried you were going to say that. Grr, films like that just annoy me. I want an answer!
I have the DVD version of the film, and watched the director's commentary - that more or less explained it.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
OK, it's been a long time but I'll try my best.
Basically Donnie Darko can see his own destiny, and that of others (the tubes coming out of people). At the start, he has a premonition (Frank the rabbit dude) which leads him out of the house. The Jet engine then crashes through it. This is the start of a parallel universe - the jet engine would have/should have killed him but he choose to leave the house.
Anyway this universe can't be sustained. apparently the wormhole that the jet engine fall through is some kind of blackhole which will eventually destroy the world (ive seen the DVD which had a few extra scene by the way). As donnie was the nearest person in the real universe to this wormhole event, he is given special powers that allow him to see the future etc.
Donnie is manipulated into situations which will eventually leave him no choice but to send the engine back through time. He meets Gretchen, which proves to him that he doesn't have to die alone (one of his fears), and makes him less scared of death. He burns down Cunnighams house, which leads events to making his mother go on the trip with his sister, thereby setting up the plane in the correct position to deposit its engine into the black hole. His shrink also admits that Donnies medication are placebos, indicating he's not as mad as he thinks (this is on the DVD as a deleted scene). As the climax begins to unfold, Donnie unwittingly gets Gretchen killed, and realises that his mother and family will also die if he doesn't close up the black hole. In closing the black hole, Donnie sacrifices himself, saves Gretchen from being killed, and because he doesn't burn down Cunninghams house, saves his mother from being on the plane (as the other mother could take the kids on the trip instead). He also doesn't kill Frank. In closing the black hole, everybody then wakes up on what would be back on the 1st of October (the start of the movie) and to the news that Donnie has died from a jet engine landing on him.
Everything else that happens in the film are manipulations to put donnie in the right time and right place. Flooding the school means he meets gretchen. burning down cunninghams means his mother and sister are on the flight, reading the book meant he knew what he would have to do etc.
I said Donnie has super powers - he is of course an unlikely hero.
He has super strength - the axe and the bronze statue. He manipulates the engine to fall into the black hole many miles away. he controls water - flooding the school, and setting off cunninghams sprinklers.
and of course he can affect time.

I don't know if this helps much. the best thing is to watch the dvd, especially the deleted scenes. then, knowing how it ends watch it again.
the 2nd time answers a lot of questions - like with unbreakable or 6th sense
J
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Everything else that happens in the film are manipulations to put donnie in the right time and right place. Flooding the school means he meets gretchen. burning down cunninghams means his mother and sister are on the flight, reading the book meant he knew what he would have to do etc.
The character of Grandma Death - you didn't mention the significance of that. I assumed that the reason she always checked her mailbox was because she was waiting for Donnie's letter (and her old age is because she couldn't die until she found it).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (55)
4.84%
Uncertainty around my education (175)
15.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (126)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (162)
14.26%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (48)
4.23%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (65)
5.72%
Loneliness (96)
8.45%
Financial worries (38)
3.35%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (54)
4.75%
Exposure to negative news/social media (54)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (60)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (103)
9.07%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (100)
8.8%

Watched Threads