Can anyone explain Donnie Darko to me?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
One of things I didn't get was the difference between Frank and mutilated dead Frank, in fact I have no idea why the characters are linked.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
The links on this page just clarified everything for me (although don't ask me to explain it, my brain might explode)

http://bluebones.net/news/default.as...ry&story_id=38
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
One of things I didn't get was the difference between Frank and mutilated dead Frank, in fact I have no idea why the characters are linked.
They're one and the same - dead Frank is a ghost who has come back to make Donnie's life hell. He saved his from the jet engine so that he'd have to go though a month of hell. Donnie eventually realises that things will be better off for everyone if he had died - even Drew Barrymore wouldn't have been sacked, because they wouldn't have had the PTA meeting about the flooding of the school, in which the book she was teaching was complained about, because donnie wouldn't have flooded the school.

I think all this happened to donnie to show him that he would never be alone, and that there was so much to look forward to after death. He was shown this because he realised that someone cared enough to make an alternative universe (God, of you like), just to prove he wouldn't die alone. Or something like that. :confused:
Lupin Loopy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
To understand the film properly, you need to watch the DVD.

First time round, watch the film, just to get the feel of it. Chances are it'll leave you totally confused.

Then go to the extras and read the text version of "The Philosophy of Time Travel". Its the book which Donnie reads in the film. Once he has read this,, he begins to see things clearer, but as a viewer of the film, we do not have access to the knowledge he has gained. By reading this extra on the dvd, it makes the film a lot clearer.

Next, watch the film with the directors commentary on. This clears things up further

Then, watch the film again, and you'll probably be able to understand about 75% of it (its one of those films where you'll never totally understand it - everyone has their own interpretation). It'll be better than the 10% you understood first time round.

However, I think that the whole point and fun of the film is not being able to understand it..........its a film that makes you think, and that is so rare in cinema these days.....
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well, ive just watched it after the recommendations on here. and i dont think its that confusing, maybe bits of it, but it's all plain to see. if you have just bought the DVD, buy the £9.99 special edition, which has documentries and the philosophy of time travel on it, it only costs £4 more than the film-only version, and goes a long way to explaining it.
(Original post by eric bischoff)
my answer is no, way to confusing and boring
i bet you're bored by anything that isn't by disney
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.9%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.83%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.94%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.2%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.93%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.26%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.78%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.49%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads