heartsandminds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is anyone else sitting this exam this June? What topics are you doing? Apart from the Lacewing notes (that you can find here) have you got any more? Are you worried? What grade do you want? etc.

AnonyMatt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm fast tracking this year.

Doing Political Philosophy and Epistemology and Metaphysics, and Descartes.

Really worried because I need an A! I'm so rubbish at both of the PHIL3 topics, but I think I'm okay with Descartes.

I think you saved my life with those Lacewing notes!
dancinginrainbows
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing Political Philosophy and Philosophy of Religion for Phil 3 and Nietzsche for Phil 4. I'm really hoping for an A*.
holly6946
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm also doing AQA Political and Moral philosophy and Mill.
I'm absolutley screwed. My mock is tomorrow and I have had a mental brick wall on philosophy since january. Help.

My evanescent and mystical teachers predicted me an A* because I did amazingly last year.
This year is DIFFERENT STORY. I be very lucky if I get a B.

On the serious, does anybody have any revision tips because its just not going in. At all.
dancinginrainbows
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by holly6946)
I'm also doing AQA Political and Moral philosophy and Mill.
I'm absolutley screwed. My mock is tomorrow and I have had a mental brick wall on philosophy since january. Help.

My evanescent and mystical teachers predicted me an A* because I did amazingly last year.
This year is DIFFERENT STORY. I be very lucky if I get a B.

On the serious, does anybody have any revision tips because its just not going in. At all.
I'm revising by making booklets and powerpoints at the moment, and mindmaps for some topics. Then I'm going to make flashcards. Lots of colours etc. It's working pretty well I think.

I reckon Mill would work well with mindmaps. And just read over On Liberty - it's shortish and it's easy to read (and quite lovely to read I think... though I haven't studied it).
Stratos
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The good thing about philosophy is that you can wing the rest as long as you got a grasp of general concepts.
heartsandminds
Rep:
?
I'm ****ting myself as we get closer to the exam (still got just over a month though). I think I'm going to spend the rest of the week getting to crips with it then condence it. I don't want to right essays because I don't think it will help.
AnonyMatt
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just sat my first Philosophy exam yesterday. **** me. I didn't realise writing non-stop for 1hr30 would be so difficult! I was actually wrecked.

There's no way I'm going to cope on the days of PHIL3 and PHIL4 - on both days I have 3 hour STEP exams too! FML!

And I don't know any theory at all. As we've been going through it I've been understanding very little of it, and I haven't gone back over any.

I wish we'd done a different philosopher for A2 - at least if we'd done Mill, there'd be some links with political philosophy.
KwamiOdoom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JaiP)
I'm doing Political and Moral Philosophy for Unit 3 and J.S Mill for Unit 4...hoping for an A
I'm doing exactly the same.

On revising, I'll just be writing practice essays and past papers. And some extra reading. If your school's library has it, the AS and A2 revision books by Michael Lacewing are really good. I say AS as well because the AS topics of Why Should I Be Moral and Why Should I Be Governed are good leads in to Moral and Political Philosophy this year.
heartsandminds
Rep:
?
What grades/UMS did you all get for AS?
MrBarneySir
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm studying Philosophy of Mind, Epistemology and Metaphysics and Plato. I'm absolutely terrified of the coming exams in June.
TheButtylicious
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey I'm doing Mill, Political and Moral. Although, you guys seem to be praising Lacewing a lot - they are terrible!!
heartsandminds
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheButtylicious)
Hey I'm doing Mill, Political and Moral. Although, you guys seem to be praising Lacewing a lot - they are terrible!!
I think he is good on Mill, but on the Unit 3 stuff he is just frankly all over the place. Some of the stuff is just irrelevant, and some of it is so badly written it looks as though it was intended for degree level.

Do you have any Mill notes/Moral notes?
dancinginrainbows
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheButtylicious)
I thought his AS book was much better than the AQA one, but that the A2 ones are too rambly to be very useful for anything other than the questions at the sides of the pages.
deenlaybrown
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm also doing A2 philosophy and last year i got 100 in unit one and 94 in unit 2, and this year i am doing epistemology and metaphysics and morality and for unit 4 am doing 'An enquiry concerning human understanding' by David Hume.
mirandaandhector
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing Political and Moral for PHIL 3 and Mill for PHIL4.
I love the politcal philosophy, and am happy with Mill. Moral is a bit harder, but not too bad.
Revision wise I use my own notes from lessons, the AQA textbook for PHIL3, Lacewing for Mill, and have also tried to do wider reading around the subjects.

I need an A for my firm Uni choice, but would love an A*
heartsandminds
Rep:
?
(Original post by mirandaandhector)
I'm doing Political and Moral for PHIL 3 and Mill for PHIL4.
I love the politcal philosophy, and am happy with Mill. Moral is a bit harder, but not too bad.
Revision wise I use my own notes from lessons, the AQA textbook for PHIL3, Lacewing for Mill, and have also tried to do wider reading around the subjects.

I need an A for my firm Uni choice, but would love an A*
What grade/UMS did you get at AS?
Dansat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JaiP)
I'm doing Political and Moral Philosophy for Unit 3 and J.S Mill for Unit 4...hoping for an A
Im doing the same as you, any chance you're from king edwards? There's some good articles for various stuff for AS and A2 here http://www.richmond-philosophy.net/r...ack_issues.php
KwamiOdoom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dancinginrainbows)
I thought his AS book was much better than the AQA one, but that the A2 ones are too rambly to be very useful for anything other than the questions at the sides of the pages.
In my opinion the books are useful. If not for just getting an idea of what the core knowledge needed for the course is. I don't know about you, but my teacher teaches the subject and I'm not too sure how the course looks on the official syllabus. If anything is unclear (I often find arguments that seem like they have gaping logical flaws) I can just refer to my teacher's resources, which are really really good, or google it if need be.

In terms of revision, I think the best thing to do by now is to start writing essays and doing past papers. If you come up against things you don't understand then learning in the context of an essay (argument, objection, counter-objection, evaluation) is really helpful in understanding where a theory fits into the overall topic.
dancinginrainbows
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KwamiOdoom)
In my opinion the books are useful. If not for just getting an idea of what the core knowledge needed for the course is. I don't know about you, but my teacher teaches the subject and I'm not too sure how the course looks on the official syllabus. If anything is unclear (I often find arguments that seem like they have gaping logical flaws) I can just refer to my teacher's resources, which are really really good, or google it if need be.
The Lacewing books have no advantage over the official AQA books in terms of letting you know what's on the syllabus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
15.16%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (74)
30.33%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12.3%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.61%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.74%
I think it's an unfair expectation (65)
26.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.23%

Watched Threads