my nail biting - i want it to end!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
ok ok, i'm 19 and I've been saying I'm gonna quit this filthy habbit for about 9 years!! I succeeded for 2 months before xmas and now its all gone pearshaped again

Has anyone got any tips for helping me stop? (Apart from dipping my fingers in bleach like my mum once did...)
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I used to this about 8 years ago, I don't know I how I stopped but I just did naturaly I guess.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
ok ok, i'm 19 and I've been saying I'm gonna quit this filthy habbit for about 9 years!! I succeeded for 2 months before xmas and now its all gone pearshaped again

Has anyone got any tips for helping me stop? (Apart from dipping my fingers in bleach like my mum once did...)
When you need to bite, chew gum or have an apple instead.
Bitewing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
When you need to bite, chew gum or have an apple instead.
I think theres some sort of special varnish you can put on them (that can't be seen but tastes disgusting) to stop you biting them.
Egan1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bitewing)
I think theres some sort of special varnish you can put on them (that can't be seen but tastes disgusting) to stop you biting them.
Yep, there's something like that. My sister got some ages ago to put on her pens to stop her chewing them up. Unfortunatly, she just didn't put the stuff on the pens (because of the taste) so it didn't actually work.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Yep, there's something like that. My sister got some ages ago to put on her pens to stop her chewing them up. Unfortunatly, she just didn't put the stuff on the pens (because of the taste) so it didn't actually work.
One of my friends used it, and straight after he'd put it on, he bit it off anyway regardless of how awful the taste was.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
some people adapt to the taste and start to like it
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I hate that varnish. I used to bite my nails loads when I was younger, and so my mum put this on my nails. Yuck! Totally puts you off!
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I hate that varnish. I used to bite my nails loads when I was younger, and so my mum put this on my nails. Yuck! Totally puts you off!
That's the point.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
some people adapt to the taste and start to like it
i think thats what happened.
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think thats what happened.
they should say its poisonous i think that would work
TK0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
how about not biting ur nails. :rolleyes: some ppl
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
it is like an addiction
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I still bite my nails Not very often tho, I find it just happens when I get nervous
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)

Cut your nails then.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
I used to bite my nails a lot, but never til they were horribly short. I tried that varnish stuff when i was younger but i liked the taste so that didn't work. However last year with my A-Levels and all the stress and nerves and everything, I started chewing them again. But I went on holiday at Easter and becuase I forgot about exams i found that my nails got quite long, but then when the exams came there were none left. I think it depends on the situation, at the moment i have no stress and as a result my nails are fairly long now, but just before and after christmas i had exams so the stress got to me and i chewed them. Its just not that easy to stop doing it.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i always manage to last a week or two then just get the urge! just when they gettin gd as well! grrrr
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
they should say its poisonous i think that would work
Perhaps they should just make it poisonous then... though that might be a little extreme
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Perhaps they should just make it poisonous then... though that might be a little extreme
They wouldn't be allowed to sell it to you if it were poisonous.
Bitewing
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
They wouldn't be allowed to sell it to you if it were poisonous.
No, shame that. A change of the law is in order...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (210)
42.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.31%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (197)
40.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.63%

Watched Threads