Mocks - Real exam Watch

Hobbesian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is it natural for one grade to move up from the mocks to the real exam???
Icy Ghost
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Depends on a lot of things, but I was predicted B/C for Maths, but got an A!!!

(still can't get over it!) :p:

Anyway, in my personal experience, the predicted grades aren't entirely accurate, and yes it is possible to move up a grade, not sure of the term "natural" though. Sometimes you could be a little complacent if your mock marks were good, and actually do worse in the real thing. Make sure that doesn't happen!

Good luck!
mizfissy815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For my IGCSEs I was perdicted a B in Chemistry but came out with A*! Really depends on whether you prepared for the mock as well as you should have.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, it's not exactly 'natural' for you to move up a grade - your B won't become an A without any effort! But it does seem to be true, according to older students, that between your trial exams and the real exams, you get taught a lot more exam technique and you can learn from the mistakes you made at the mocks. So if you put your mock exam experience to good use, I think it is possible to move up a grade.
~NC~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol i got all Ds and Cs in my mocks, i got all As in the end. I think if you are willing to revise and work for your proper exams you will be fine, mocks just tend to be a wake up call for most people. People often move up atleast one grade
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
don't mean to shatter your hopes, but it can go the other way to. :cool: in my exams i moved down one grade in Biology...anyway studdy hard, there are no short cuts. and don't read to much in the mocks, they should not be used as predictions to what will happen but as a practice to see what you know and don't know.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is quite common to go up a grade between the mocks and the real exams because by that time you'll have done more past papers and will generally be better prepared, plus coursework will be included for the final GCSE grade. It depends how hard you work for mocks though. I went up a grade in English, English lit, maths, French and food tech, up 3 grades in media, stayed the same in double science and RE and went down a grade in history.
ExitMusic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NEED-A*)
Is it natural for one grade to move up from the mocks to the real exam???
Most certainly. Don't take your mocks as an accurate representation of what you can hope to get in the real exams. When June comes...

1) More time for revision
2) Papers marked less harshly
3) Exams spread over a few weeks so even more time to revise and overall less intense than than the mocks
4) You'll have revised once for the mocks, so when it comes to revising for the real thing, you'll have some of the facts fresh in your mind.
Lykabelle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yep i got a B in my ICT mock, A in food tech, Bs in english lang & lit (harshly marked I think, my teacher hated me lol :rolleyes: ) and ended up with A in english lit and A*s in the rest. Of course it takes a lot of hardwork and effort so be prepared for that.
sim90
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Im predicted C's and D's
i am doing my mocks and i hope i can improve for the real exam.
Piggy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I got close to a D in English Lit but came up with A*. Mock exams are marked so harshly!
Hashshashin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Piggy)
I got close to a D in English Lit but came up with A*. Mock exams are marked so harshly!
Yay, I got B+ and A- in my mocks. That's encouraging.
Hobbesian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
so is it a definite fact that mocks are marked more harshly than the real exams, even though i only got 2 b;s and the rest A's and A* for my mocks i am feeling unnecessarily insecure.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yup, teachers are harsher with the mocks, which is good, you don't want them to mark too liberally and then find you don't get such a good result in the real thing. It's a general rule you can expect to move a grade up - partly through another 5 months of study, partly I suppose because of the harsher mock marking.

I also think people don't bother revising as much for the mocks - or at all - plus as they're all in one week (normally), you have no time between exams to revise for the next. Your real ones go from late May to late June so you have more preparation just before the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (553)
80.38%
Leave (135)
19.62%

Watched Threads