What to do during revision breaks? How long should it be? Watch

Alf123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I want to do around 4-5 hours of revision a day. The problem with me is after around 1 hour I tend to lose focus and then start to find it hard to "take information in".

So I wanted to know how long breaks should I take after every 1 or 2 hours? What should I do, like is there any particular activities to do or things to eat or drink which may help to "regain my focus"?

I was planning 10-15 minutes breaks at most so I do not get distracted from other things, but mainly wanted to know what I could do in that time so I have fully ready to continue with another hour or two of revision.

Any valuable tips would be helpful

Thank you.

Alf123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Help still needed
ktm89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I normally just go on the internet for about 10-15 minutes in my breaks, or I go and get a drink and something to eat.
Also, I would take a break def after an hour or so, so you can keep your concentration levels up. I tend to revise for about half an hour max as my concentration gets really bad haha!
coolcat88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
listen 2 music
Bibbster123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i revise during my revision breaks
InsaneFandom
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My revision breaks tend to be several days.. wouldn't recommend it :p:
I'd say a 10-20 minute break is good, go make a cup of tea, get something to eat maybe, sing really loudly to a couple songs or whatever. I'd avoid watching tv / playing games / reading a book etc.
icedragon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If I have a full day off, I'll just do 3 hours revision in the morning, then take lunch off and watch some sport or go to the gym or something then do another 3 hours later.
Killjoy-
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I take 15min breaks every 2hrs. I usually drink something or browse the internet. Its funny I should come across this because I am taking a short break right now!
Monster Mnch
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by InsaneFandom)
I'd say a 10-20 minute break is good, go make a cup of tea, get something to eat maybe, sing really loudly to a couple songs or whatever. I'd avoid watching tv / playing games / reading a book etc.
This.

If you watch TV, or play a video game, time will fly by. Just do something small.
ForgettingWhatsername
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I go on TSR :awesome:
ryaaaan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i dont revise im just generally clever and i get 100% each time. ur all retards
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Make a cup of tea :yes:

I often get a bit of fresh air and have a 2-minute stroll to the corner shop, or make a cup of tea, or come on TSR for a bit, or refresh Tumblr for a bit, or go and talk to my dog, or play a game of Pacman, or something. (I have male friends who swear by having a ****, but I've never tried this strategy and am thus unsure whether to recommend it :teehee:)
CateringWizard45
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alf123)
Help still needed
Hi mate, know its a bit late but ive come up with the perfect solution to your problem... TREAT YOURSELF! Go grab an ice cream.. Pet ya cat? Play checkers with your nan?
Dougieowner
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with everyone else, 10-20 minutes is enough time because it's a sufficient amount of time to let your brain relax for a bit without getting too distracted and starting to procrastinate (which sometimes happens if you take really long breaks.)

I'd also recommend making a drink of tea like kerily said
Hol2509
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I take a 20 mins break, and I watch just ONE episode of How I Met Your Mother or The Big Bang Theory. They're good cause they're roughly 20 mins long, and always cheer me up after revising for an hour or 2 :yep:
MrVirtuoso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chocciemilkshake)
I take a 20 mins break, and I watch just ONE episode of How I Met Your Mother or The Big Bang Theory. They're good cause they're roughly 20 mins long, and always cheer me up after revising for an hour or 2 :yep:
That's a good idea, and one I haven't yet tried, but I'll just probably end up watching too many episodes after not being able to stop! :P
Yiechang
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try having a cup of coffee + playing a mindless game (2048 )
demhka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrVirtuoso)
That's a good idea, and one I haven't yet tried, but I'll just probably end up watching too many episodes after not being able to stop! :P
LOL That's exactly what happens to me!
leboff
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I tend to do revision about 4 hours till 3PM and after that, i just do whatever i want....
not sure if this is good or not but I really cant concentrate in the afternoon so it might work
Rocco123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm planning on doing an hour and a half each morning, followed by an hour long break for lunch, then maybe another hour in the afternoon with a half hour break and then another hour in the afternoon. Also, save a day or two where you do no revision, or only spend half an hour reading over notes. This really helps me as it gives me something to look forward to! Also, I sometimes go to a friends house and we revise together for an hour or so and then chat or watch a film - its always more interesting with a friend! This is really good for both of you as if you don't understand something, the friend can explain to you, and if they don't understand something, you can teach them (which is actually really good for your revision too).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.35%
Labour (298)
50.59%
Liberal Democrats (77)
13.07%
Green Party (30)
5.09%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.21%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)