The Student Room Group

Calling any Psychology degree student, I need some advice

I've started thinking about what I want to do at uni (I'm about to take my AS exams) and I was just wondering, what A-level subjects did you have to get into your Psychology course and what sort of thing do you do on your specific course? I do Psychology, Media, Sociology and English Lit/Lang and I'm not sure my subjects are very suitable.
Reply 1
Well, my sister did A Levels in psychology, Biology, Geography and English Lit (AS). I think English and either another social science or biology are good choices, so you should be aright.
Original post by WhatYouKnow
I've started thinking about what I want to do at uni (I'm about to take my AS exams) and I was just wondering, what A-level subjects did you have to get into your Psychology course and what sort of thing do you do on your specific course? I do Psychology, Media, Sociology and English Lit/Lang and I'm not sure my subjects are very suitable.

Hi, i'm starting psychology undergrad in october, i'm going to Warwick. Much of my courses asked for 'one natural science' but many uni's count psychology as your science. Bath also counts sociology. My course at Warwick asks for preferably 1 science subject or alternatively 2 humanities. Bit of a long winded response but if you choose your uni's carefully and don't go for the really sciencey ones you should be fine to get on a course :smile:

Another point, it tends to be the higher ranking unis that are more picky about your subjects so it also depends on what grades you'll be getting and thus what group of uni's you'll be applying to.
Reply 3
Original post by Alison1992
Hi, i'm starting psychology undergrad in october, i'm going to Warwick. Much of my courses asked for 'one natural science' but many uni's count psychology as your science. Bath also counts sociology. My course at Warwick asks for preferably 1 science subject or alternatively 2 humanities. Bit of a long winded response but if you choose your uni's carefully and don't go for the really sciencey ones you should be fine to get on a course :smile:

Another point, it tends to be the higher ranking unis that are more picky about your subjects so it also depends on what grades you'll be getting and thus what group of uni's you'll be applying to.

Thank you! May I ask what A-levels you are doing? :smile: Not sure if you'd know, but would I be outright rejected from Warwick (for example) if I applied because I don't have a science subject?
Thank you! May I ask what A-levels you are doing? :smile: Not sure if you'd know, but would I be outright rejected from Warwick (for example) if I applied because I don't have a science subject?

I'm doing Psychology, Biology and English Lit. I did Sociology at AS.
The requirement they state is GCSE Maths grade B. Applicants with no Natural Science A levels (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) normally required to have at least GCSE Double Science or two single science subjects at grade B. When i went to the open day they said that candidates with science A levels or at least 2 from english, history, geography or a modern foreign language were likely to be preferred as they had 'performed well on the course before'. I don't think it would do you any harm to apply.
Reply 5
The requirement they state is GCSE Maths grade B. Applicants with no Natural Science A levels (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) normally required to have at least GCSE Double Science or two single science subjects at grade B. When i went to the open day they said that candidates with science A levels or at least 2 from english, history, geography or a modern foreign language were likely to be preferred as they had 'performed well on the course before'. I don't think it would do you any harm to apply.

I have an A in GCSE Maths, an A in GCSE Biology and a B in GCSE Chemistry. Thank you for the information :biggrin:
Reply 6
I have an A in GCSE Maths, an A in GCSE Biology and a B in GCSE Chemistry. Thank you for the information :biggrin:

The fact that you know your a levels aren't suitable shows that you know what psychology is, which is promising :P.To be honest for most psych courses any a levels will do, although look carefully at the entry requirements, as places like UCL require require maths at A Level (as well as a science, psychology will do http://goo.gl/QbGfz).

This is probably true for most unis, some even give lower offers to those with science/maths subjects. At my cambridge interview they seemed to like the fact that i did maths and physics and i got some questions about what i thought about statistics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jacke02
The fact that you know your a levels aren't suitable shows that you know what psychology is, which is promising :P.To be honest for most psych courses any a levels will do, although look carefully at the entry requirements, as places like UCL require require maths at A Level (as well as a science, psychology will do http://goo.gl/QbGfz). I don't know if people with more science based a levels have an advantage... i got all my offers with maths, physics, psych and english lit.

I think it depends on your personal statement a lot too, i got 5 offers with psychology, biology, english lit and a sociology AS from Bath, Manchester, UEA, Warwick and York. Then again i know people with all their offers for psych doing psychology, sports studies, history and geography. I think OP will be fine so long as she applies wisely and writes a good PS :smile:
Original post by Jacke02
The fact that you know your a levels aren't suitable shows that you know what psychology is, which is promising :P.To be honest for most psych courses any a levels will do, although look carefully at the entry requirements, as places like UCL require require maths at A Level (as well as a science, psychology will do http://goo.gl/QbGfz).

This is probably true for most unis, some even give lower offers to those with science/maths subjects. At my cambridge interview they seemed to like the fact that i did maths and physics and i got some questions about what i thought about statistics.

To be fair, i think my Manchester offer got lowered because i do biology from AAB to ABB which makes a nice insurance
Reply 9
Original post by Jacke02

I think it depends on your personal statement a lot too, i got 5 offers with psychology, biology, english lit and a sociology AS from Bath, Manchester, UEA, Warwick and York. Then again i know people with all their offers for psych doing psychology, sports studies, history and geography. I think OP will be fine so long as she applies wisely and writes a good PS :smile:

Haha, yes I will just have to make sure I don't apply to Oxford or Cambridge (they would probably look at my subjects and automatically reject me) and be careful with unis that require a natural science/maths. Thanks for all the advice, I'll just be aware that if I do choose to do Psych at uni and I get offers, the entry requirements might be increased. :smile:
Reply 10
Haha, yes I will just have to make sure I don't apply to Oxford or Cambridge (they would probably look at my subjects and automatically reject me) and be careful with unis that require a natural science/maths. Thanks for all the advice, I'll just be aware that if I do choose to do Psych at uni and I get offers, the entry requirements might be increased. :smile:

Well that's not exactly true, since you also have an interview there, they have something else to look at than purely grades and subjects- someone on here got into experimental psychology with 3 a levels (one of them theatre studies), which other Russell Group unis may look down upon. Plus cambridge don't ask for any sciences or maths.

Interstingly York say:

AAA/AAB. One subject should normally be in a science discipline, which may include Psychology. In practice, the majority of successful applicants offer two sciences. General Studies not normally accepted.

So with a good PS saying that you know what psychology is a uni, (a science), will probably compensate.
Reply 11
I'd think you would be ok!! If you take any 3 to A2 you should be fine. The higher unis for psych would probably prefer you drop media as the others are classed as more academic even though media is sometimes harder!! If you have a good personal statement too I wouldn't imagine you having any problems getting onto a psych degree. x
Reply 12
Original post by Jacke02
Well that's not exactly true, since you also have an interview there, they have something else to look at than purely grades and subjects- someone on here got into experimental psychology with 3 a levels (one of them theatre studies), which other Russell Group unis may look down upon. Plus cambridge don't ask for any sciences or maths.

Interstingly York say:

AAA/AAB. One subject should normally be in a science discipline, which may include Psychology. In practice, the majority of successful applicants offer two sciences. General Studies not normally accepted.

So with a good PS saying that you know what psychology is a uni, (a science), will probably compensate.

I guess so, but I'd definitely be at a disadvantage and my GCSEs are probably not good enough for Oxbridge. Hmm :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mad-cow18
I'd think you would be ok!! If you take any 3 to A2 you should be fine. The higher unis for psych would probably prefer you drop media as the others are classed as more academic even though media is sometimes harder!! If you have a good personal statement too I wouldn't imagine you having any problems getting onto a psych degree. x

Yeah I was thinking that. :tongue: Although I might just carry on all of my subjects, I'm undecided.
Reply 14
I got an offer from UCL with: Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and ethics

I know someone going to Oxford for psych with: english, biology, sociology

Quick Reply

Latest