This discussion is closed.
Ladyluck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
This could be a really contentious issue! I was just wondering if some people believe that so called "easy Alevels" exist, that advocate unfair allocations of uni places?!

Is it fair that some Unis do not like Art / Drama / Theatre Studies and do not allow these subjects to form part of thier offers?

It is an issue that personally doesn't affect me as i am doing a range of alevels. Biology, Law, Sociology and German.
I find i have to work twice as hard in Bio and German than in sociology to get the same results, as it feels standard-wise its easier to get higher grades in soc than the others. Law, i think is a mid-point!

Is it fair to compare a student with alevel Maths, Science or Language to one with the Arts / media / psychology?

Some subjects seem unfair in ways that the Examiner / Markers opinion is really influential. Like English creative writing and Art. Some art in galleries today are considered masterpieces but wouldnt get an E if they were emulated in an exam.!!

This problem would be solved if we did a Eurpean form of assessment like the Bac? Non?

(ive tried to keep an unbiased view and open up discussion I am not undermining any students work or skill area- please don't slaughter me too much!!)
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Speaking as someone who has done it, Sociology AS does closely resemble a joke.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think some are easier than others, but none are all that easy. For instance, I find History harder than Media, but I still need to work hard to get good grades in Media. Maybe it's because I find Media more interesting, and my teacher is way more easy going.

Although, funnily enough, I got an A at AS History and a B for AS Media.

And please don't start with all the "Media Studies is worthless and only thick people take it" crap again. I'm sick and tired of it.
DonnaB041986
Report 17 years ago
I think it really depends on the person and their talents. I'm finding my English A level unbelievably difficult, alot more than my science ones, whereas some people would find essay based subjects alot easier than the sciences.
I would cry if I had to do subjects that involve loads of essays and having to reason logically!!! Give me maths anyday!

Donna
-x-
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
No lets not take the "Media studies is easy" route! My mates have been ploughing through their cw, it (along with fil studies seems more like english lit on TV!

But AS soc was quite a gift, the 2mark question on the poverty paper was "what is meant by means-tested benefit" admittedly all the 2mark starter q's are easy, just to get you into the exam, the 20 / 40 mark essays you do need theory for. I do like sociology and find it really interesting so that could be why good grades pop up. SOme one in my class got 100% in the AS.

I took psychology AS and as i had already decided to leave school school after y12 and continue at coll i did -truthfully- about 2hours of revision the day b4 and came out with a B. I know in the A2 it prob gets harder, but for AS provided that you could remeber a bit of basic theory you could get out of the exam with a decentish grade b-c.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm really enjoying my media coursework... I get to write about representation of women on TV, I love learning all about the feminist theory and stuff. I need to actually get an with it though.

I've never taken psychology, but my friends who have didn't seem too impressed with the A2 module they just took, they all reckoned they'd be resitting in summer.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
(Original post by DonnaB041986)
I think it really depends on the person and their talents. I'm finding my English A level unbelievably difficult, alot more than my science ones, whereas some people would find essay based subjects alot easier than the sciences.
I would cry if I had to do subjects that involve loads of essays and having to reason logically!!! Give me maths anyday!

Donna
-x-
English depends alot on the teachers opinion of you. It seems that most have a set opinion about the student and mark accordingly, same marks every essay(as happened with my english AS !) could just be shabby school teaching laziness!
English isn't always something that you can revise for, for ages to get a good grade, i think you either have it or you dont! :rolleyes:
princess-renamed
Report 17 years ago
coming from sum1 who did art at AS trust me art is NOT an easy al evel there is so much work you have to put in and its not just all about drawing. i would say chemistry and maths were the harder alevels.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
But AS soc was quite a gift, the 2mark question on the poverty paper was "what is meant by means-tested benefit" admittedly all the 2mark starter q's are easy
Ah yes, the two mark questions...

Explain what is meant by ‘value consensus'?
Explain what is meant by 'meritocracy'?
Explain which is your arse or your elbow?
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think it really does depend on the individual. The subject i found the easiest at Alevel was History and is consequently the subject I am going to do at degree level. However, anything to with numbers scares me, and i am sure if i did Mathematics at Alevel i would have got a U.
covered farm wagon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think that there are some subjects that are not easier than others, but that there are more people that are good at them. Take psychology - I find it one of my easiest subjects because basically you learn a theory and some studies, and regurgitate them in the exam. I have a pretty good memory and find the theory quite easy to understand, so even though I have no real interest in psychology, I think it was a good subject choice for me. I understand that sociology is similar - it tests your understanding and memory of a theory that you learnt. You can be fully prepared for the exam by learning these theories. Now take English Language - an exam where you can blag it much more easily, but can't really prepare for, because they can ask you any question about anything the world and expect you to comment on it. This is an entirely different skill, because you can't just memorise your notes and get away with it. You actually have to understand language use, and be able to make intelligent comments without being directly asked for them - although you can make these up to a degree. Maths is a different skill again, as is chemistry or German or theatre studies - and none of these subjects are easier per se than others, but perhaps a higher percentage find sociology easier than maths. There are people I knew from classes last year who quit subjects that have been called 'easy' on these boards (philosophy, psychology, English language) who got very good grades in traditionally harder subjects (maths, sciences). So really this was just a long winded way of saying "no, easy A-levels don't exist".
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm doing psychology and believe me it's not easy. There's so much to remember! (Having said that though, if you do remember it all it isn't hard to do well)
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think it's all up to the individual.

Right now, I take double maths, econs, english lit, history and the wretched general studies. Of all these, Gen Studies is the only 'easy' one. That said, one of my smartest friends doing double maths and triple science got a U for Gen Stud ...

I find Maths unbelievably easy while others would dispute that. It's a joke amongst my friends that had I taken IT, Physics, Drama, Biology and DT, I'd be a total failure.

So yeh, it really really depends on where your talents lie. I'm hopeless at sciences but I love essay questions... wheras in South East Asia, most people are brilliant in the triple sciences and double maths, but they score lower on essay-based subjects.

Hehe.. and it is really cruel to laugh at subjects like Media Studies.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
It is an issue that personally doesn't affect me as i am doing a range of alevels. Biology, Law, Sociology and German.
HAHAHA! You say it "doesn't affect you" yet you are studying Law and Sociology!! What mickey mouse subjects!! Hahaha.

- Tek (who is studying four "proper" subjects and General Studies.)
covered farm wagon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I'm doing psychology and believe me it's not easy. There's so much to remember! (Having said that though, if you do remember it all it isn't hard to do well)
Yes! Precisely! PYA4 has a ridiculous amount of things for you to remember, and only a very small amount actually comes up in the exam. But yeah, if you know it then the exam's not frightening.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Hehe.. and it is really cruel to laugh at subjects like Media Studies.
No it's not. It's both funny and worthwhile. I mean who studies Media Studies??? Hahaha - what a joke.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And don't even get me started on University courses. I mean if you're applying for a course at an ex Polytechnic that needs "EE" grades then to be honest you're too stupid to be doing A Levels, let alone a "degree."
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
HAHAHA You say it "doesn't affect you" yet you are studying Law and Sociology!! What mickey mouse subjects!! Hahaha.

Tek (who is studying four "proper" subjects and General Studies.)
How do you define what are 'proper' subjects and what are not?? That's such a cruel thing to say.

Were my A Levels 'mickey mouse'subjects in your definitive opinion??

Eng lang/lit
history
gov and politics
philosophy

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
How do you define what are 'proper' subjects and what are not?? That's such a cruel thing to say.

Were my A Levels 'mickey mouse'subjects in your definitive opinion??

Eng lang/lit
history
gov and politics
philosophy

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Why are you asking me?
milygoil
Report 17 years ago
I have never actualy heard of anyone saying any subject of A level is easy!!! This is a first to me. As for subjects, it really depends on who the person is. I'm doing Maths, chem, physics, and economics. I think they are alright...... on the other hand... tell me to write an essay, and i would actually think you were joking...mind you, my essays are pretty good....when i can be bothered (but most of the time..i find it impossible to blabber on and write 10 pages (my friends write 10 pages sometimes)!!! However, give me a maths problem..and i'm happy! So really, it depends on what you are like! I did Social Science in GCSE....and a lot of people called it a 'doss' subject, but I can honestly say, if they were to take it.they would fail (seeing as only 2 people who did it got As!!!) Subjects like Sociology, they are 'easy'...normally, the people that haven't got a clue what they are talking bout say its easy...however, there are the odd ones that have actually done it and find it easy.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads