This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
For risk of putting my neck on the chopping block I would like to add the following:

I think that one of the main issues is the Governments desire to get 50% of people in to H.E. be it University or some other form.

Basic Economics will tell you that the more of something there is the less value it has and we are now at a point where so many people are graduating in so many different subjects that this was bound to happen. I know alot of people that have graduated in various subjects many of whom are either working in the boozer or are sitting on the dole. They think that because they are a graduate someone will come along and offer them a job for £30K a year + company car etc...

This leads to my main point -

It seems that virtually anyone can go to University, I know of people who have totally bombed out at A-Level and got like 1 "E" grade but still been accepted to <insert name here> converted polytechnic to do something or the other usually with a "ology" or "studies" suffix.

The question is should this really be happening? Should people who are obviously not cut out for study be allowed to progress to University level (subsidised by the taxpayer) where in reality they would be far better off doing something like plumbing where they would actually stand a chance of making a good living.

I am not talking about restricting peoples right to education or freedom of choice, all I am saying is that the graduate market is so saturated that employers are having to look into what people have been studying and where they have been studying it.

As a result of this alot of the newer universities and their less traditional subjects will suffer - know what I mean?

You are kind of right but university is what you make it. I keep arguing that maybe more people should get chucked out in the first year. I think it is rare that you can get in with EE. If you look at the league tables only the bottom 10 (out of 126) will have 10 points for entry. Even this is a CC I think. In reality probably only 5% of people at uni got an EE.

I am a bit concerned about places like TVU and Bolton if the rumours I here are true however I don't really know the facts so can't comment.

My point is technicaly I probably should not be at university as I only got 5.5 GCSE points (5 C's, 4 D's, 1E) however I worked hard at college getting AB(AS B) and now at a half decent university doing well on my course. I think we need to offer people second chances. So what about the TVU Child Care and Walt Disney cartoons courses they are not going to be any threat to people from Oxbridge. And they have enjoyed a course for the last three years probably giving them confidence etc.

I think in ten years time the trend will start to reverse once people realise they are not going to earn £30k a year from studying at TVU doing a so called lesser subject.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Argh but you're wasting your time studying all that in media. According to Sir Williamand Tek we all know all you need to pass media studies at grade A is comment of David Beckham's new hair cut.

Hopefully you realise I am taking the micky and I do respect media studies and the like because it gives people are choice in what they want to do. Lets face it if we all studied maths life would be very boring.
I can honestly say there's never been an exam question on David Beckham's haircut.

And if we all studied maths, then it would probably be a lot less valuable to have than it is.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I can honestly say there's never been an exam question on David Beckham's haircut.

And if we all studied maths, then it would probably be a lot less valuable to have than it is.
I know I was taking the piss, I was being sarcastic. I was not having a go at media studies at all. I also know there is no questions about David Beckham
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You are kind of right but university is what you make it. I keep arguing that maybe more people should get chucked out in the first year. I think it is rare that you can get in with EE. If you look at the league tables only the bottom 10 (out of 126) will have 10 points for entry. Even this is a CC I think. In reality probably only 5% of people at uni got an EE.

I am a bit concerned about places like TVU and Bolton if the rumours I here are true however I don't really know the facts so can't comment.

My point is technicaly I probably should not be at university as I only got 5.5 GCSE points (5 C's, 4 D's, 1E) however I worked hard at college getting AB(AS B) and now at a half decent university doing well on my course. I think we need to offer people second chances. So what about the TVU Child Care and Walt Disney cartoons courses they are not going to be any threat to people from Oxbridge. And they have enjoyed a course for the last three years probably giving them confidence etc.

I think in ten years time the trend will start to reverse once people realise they are not going to earn £30k a year from studying at TVU doing a so called lesser subject.
I really do agree with what you are saying - as for the stuff about getting in with EE or even (dare I say) E this was through clearing.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know I was taking the piss, I was being sarcastic. I was not having a go at media studies at all. I also know there is no questions about David Beckham
I know.
WilliamFoster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well none of you know nothing about my personal life apart from the fact that I GOT INTO CAMBRIDGE, so you can waist your time talking crap.
Prostitutes? I think not, you damn right money can buy a woman, i'm not implying that without it i'm incapable of 'pulling'.
Now what were we talking about again...something about media and law being micky mouse a-levels.
It's so funny how all the things i have been saying are true and happening all around us, yet you guys pretend the world is perfect and tell me crap like money will only get prostitures.LOL
Ever seen Rod Stewarts *****? He's ugly and she's a babe. Look around.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
waist? - waste!

How did you get into Cambridge when you can't even spell 5-word letters! Sex on the mind with this overcharged adolescent!

*picky spelling and grammar mood"
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by WilliamFoster)
Well none of you know nothing about my personal life apart from the fact that I GOT INTO CAMBRIDGE, so you can waist your time talking crap.
Prostitutes? I think not, you damn right money can buy a woman, i'm not implying that without it i'm incapable of 'pulling'.
Now what were we talking about again...something about media and law being micky mouse a-levels.
It's so funny how all the things i have been saying are true and happening all around us, yet you guys pretend the world is perfect and tell me crap like money will only get prostitures.LOL
Why do I get the impression that someone has setup a second account.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
LOL see the thread on the main page about "Mickey mouse degrees".

There was a poll and the results were plain for all to see!
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why you getting all defensive anyway? You're twisting all our words and statements, and attempting to make excuses for coming across as a dopey prick. Congratulations on getting into Cambridge BTW
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I reiterate - with that sort of attitude towards women, you would only have luck with prostitutes. You'll never find a partner who respects you, that's for sure. Whoever gave you your Cambridge interview would probably cringe reading the quality of posts you churn out.

P.S. Interesting responses to my post - I'll have to have a more detailed read some time when I'm less exhausted.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
LOL see the thread on the main page about "Mickey mouse degrees".

There was a poll and the results were plain for all to see!
And I wonder how many of those people who voted for media studies have actually taken it and know anything about it, and how many are just going off what they've read in the press.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And I wonder how many of those people who voted for media studies have actually taken it and know anything about it, and how many are just going off what they've read in the press.
The only thing that really matters is what people percieve, you can say all you want about Media Studies but if employers are not buying into it your not going to get anywhere with it.

I have never taken Surfing or Golf Course Managment, does that mean that I have no right to comment on those either?

Media Studies was offered up in comparison with other subjects and came out the clear loser relative to them. If this doesnt tell you something about how people percieve it then nothing will.

I am really sorry to say this but there IS a two tier (if not more) degree system where some subjects are percieved as being less than others. Media Studies is currently near the bottom of the pile, this may change in time but who knows?
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The only thing that really matters is what people percieve, you can say all you want about Media Studies but if employers are not buying into it your not going to get anywhere with it.

I have never taken Surfing or Golf Course Managment, does that mean that I have no right to comment on those either?
But most of those people aren't employers, they're a bunch of students, most of who have their head stuck firmly up their ass. I was actually reading an article the other day about media graduates being more in demand.

And yes, unless you've actually studied something and know what exactly it involves, you have no right to sit there ****ging it off.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And yes, unless you've actually studied something and know what exactly it involves, you have no right to sit there ****ging it off.
Your logic doesnt really add up, so what you are saying is that NO ONE has ANY right to an opinion on something unless they have studied it?

The fact is all degrees are not equal and some of them are always going to be discriminated against be it wrong or right.

Currently Media Studies and one or two others are getting the boot, this may change in time but who knows.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your logic doesnt really add up, so what you are saying is that NO ONE has ANY right to an opinion on something unless they have studied it?
No, I'm saying that you have no right to sit there saying its worthless, which is basically what you're doing. You have a right to an opinion. Whether it actually means anything is another matter.
WilliamFoster
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Look you *******s i came here and stated my opinion on 'respectable' a-levels, and thats my damn pinion and i'll keep it. People can do whatever they like i just thought i'd warn them of the consequences. You losers come on here and pretend to know shi* about who is more employable when you know nothing.
I dont really care about all your talk about prostitues, I can say and do what i please because free to do so, so you can fuc* off.

btw what are you guys proposing to read at uni, must be mickey mouse stuff, i knew i touched a few nerves.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, I'm saying that you have no right to sit there saying its worthless, which is basically what you're doing. You have a right to an opinion. Whether it actually means anything is another matter.
Worthless? No...worth relativley less than other degrees...perhaps.

Once again, it is how people percieve the degree that matters and I am sure that even you will agree with me that it currently does not have a great standing.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Worthless? No...worth relatively less than other degrees...perhaps.
Once again, it is how people perceive the degree that matters and I am sure that even you will agree with me that it currently does not have a great standing.
Well as I already pointed out, I was reading an article the other day that was saying that media graduates are more in demand than ever. Not that it even affects me how a media degree is perceived by employers, I'm going to do Politics.
LongGone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Look you *******s i came here and stated my opinion on 'respectable' a-levels, and thats my damn pinion and i'll keep it. People can do whatever they like i just thought i'd warn them of the consequences. You losers come on here and pretend to know shi* about who is more employable when you know nothing.
I dont really care about all your talk about prostitues, I can say and do what i please because free to do so, so you can fuc* off.

btw what are you guys proposing to read at uni, must be mickey mouse stuff, i knew i touched a few nerves.
You are such a prat.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads