This discussion is closed.
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know this might seem rather irrelevant to your discussion about Mickey Mouse-subjects, but I would just like to point out how lucky you Brits are to be able to choose such subjects in the first place. In Denmark we do a large number of subjects (ca. 15) at different levels, and are only allowed to choose about 3 of those ourselves.

To make things worse, universities then offer places based on the average of the student's marks, which means that an applicant might not be able to do a certain course even though he got top marks in the relevant subjects at our equivalent of A-levels.

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with choosing any subject, as long as the universities take your choices into consideration when making offers.
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What a loser William is.
WilliamFoster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
hmm i wonder what you all got in your a-levels then. i think 4A's and a B is admirable. yeh yeh shame about maths i know. ok i lied about oxbridge but who hasn't. Anyway you know the score as you've aken the liberty to read my old messages and i want to say "who gives a fuc*", i'm still going somewhere highly regarded.
And i STILL think that media is 'mickey mouse', what a farce.
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by WilliamFoster)
Its just a simple case of trying to type too fast, i have been learning to touch type. HAHAHA William can't spell. Ok the 'waste' thing very funny permission to laugh. But can pick on you because you are going somewhere inferior to cam. A* in english gcse so there.
btw i into Cam for Natural Sciences, AS levels bio,phys, chem, maths and geog AAABA. Reading 5 A-levels and predicted straight A's.
Psychodynamically you are fixated at the anal retentive stage of psychosexual development, creating a fundamental sense of insecurity within yourself which creates an internal drive to satisfy the id's libido. This gratification is achieved by the use of egotistical language aimed to elevate your self-esteem by diminuating the considerable achievements of other individuals.

Recommended therapy: Surgical removal of offending cerebral material from the rectal area.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by madmazda86)
Psychodynamically you are fixated at the anal retentive stage of psychosexual development, creating a fundamental sense of insecurity within yourself which creates an internal drive to satisfy the id's libido. This gratification is achieved by the use of egotistical language aimed to elevate your self-esteem by diminuating the considerable achievements of other individuals.

Recommended therapy: Surgical removal of offending cerebral material from the rectal area.
And that answer sums up perfectly whay psychology shouldn't be classed as a micky mouse subject!
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

And that answer sums up perfectly why psychology shouldn't be classed as a micky mouse subject!
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Sir William deserved every single word of that. Well done it really made me laugh so much.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by WilliamFoster)
hmm i wonder what you all got in your a-levels then. i think 4A's and a B is admirable. yeh yeh shame about maths i know. ok i lied about oxbridge but who hasn't. Anyway you know the score as you've aken the liberty to read my old messages and i want to say "who gives a fuc*", i'm still going somewhere highly regarded.
And i STILL think that media is 'mickey mouse', what a farce.
Ahahahahaahahaha.

5 As is the standard on this board man.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got AB and a B in AS. 280 points in total. :mad:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I got AB and a B in AS. 280 points in total. :mad:
Well considering 60/70% of people in Manchester don't make it to FE directly, and you got top grades amongst those who did. You did great. I know you're proud of yourself given circumstances, and so you should be.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Well considering 60/70% of people in Manchester don't make it to FE directly, and you got top grades amongst those who did. You did great. I know you're proud of yourself given circumstances, and so you should be.
Thanks, I suppose I did to go to a college were the average UCAS points were 100 points. I am from one of the better parts of Manchester though were most people do tend to go into FE and HE, 52% of people in my area have a degree or higher (census 2001). But apart from the odd area most of people living within Manchester City Council do seem to have poor education attiainments. Maybe this is due to fact 29/33 wards are classed as innercity.

I suppose I am proud of myself though. I guess I know a lot people who left school who are now unemployed and only have basic GCSEs as their qualifcations.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Ahahahahaahahaha.

5 As is the standard on this board man.
I got AAAAB at AS. I always get a b to screw up the average.

Worst of all, the B was in freaking Media Studies. I can get an A in History and English Language, but not in Media. What the hell is up with that?
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
hehe why dosn't that surpise me? I think William is actually a TVU student trying to convince himself he as at Oxbridge as he went to public school and really had no excuse not to get into a good university.
I think Mr Foster may have a career as a politician ahead of him. I don't think I've even heard Blair himself talk as much *******s as this guy!
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"ok i lied about oxbridge but who hasn't"

Ummmm.....I don't think anyone with your apparent lack of grammar would even have the cheek to think that Oxbridge would do anything more than use your UCAS application as emergency loo roll.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks, I suppose I did to go to a college were the average UCAS points were 100 points. I am from one of the better parts of Manchester though were most people do tend to go into FE and HE, 52% of people in my area have a degree or higher (census 2001). But apart from the odd area most of people living within Manchester City Council do seem to have poor education attiainments. Maybe this is due to fact 29/33 wards are classed as innercity.

I suppose I am proud of myself though. I guess I know a lot people who left school who are now unemployed and only have basic GCSEs as their qualifcations.
The truth is the best schools in Manchester are well below the national average. We are seriously deprived in both quality of education and quality of healthcare. We can expect to be less qualified and die sooner than anybody else in the country.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
"ok i lied about oxbridge but who hasn't"

Ummmm.....I don't think anyone with your apparent lack of grammar would even have the cheek to think that Oxbridge would do anything more than use your UCAS application as emergency loo roll.
haha I can just imagine his personal statement

"my daddy is a torie mp and wnt to oxford there for i want to apply to camb. daddy paid for extra tuition for me so i would pass da grades. as daddy is lord foster the chairman of AQA they ensured i wud get all a's. at school i did learn da alphabet but most of ma time was spent learning how all da lower class are scum and shud all work din da ford factory making crappy cars"

P.S I'm so tired so sorry if this is a stupid reply
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I got AAAAB at AS. I always get a b to screw up the average.

Worst of all, the B was in freaking Media Studies. I can get an A in History and English Language, but not in Media. What the hell is up with that?
So did I. Mine was in critical thinking though.

I wouldn't worry about it though, lest we forget we're on a messageboard where the average grades have just got to be in the top few percent.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The truth is the best schools in Manchester are well below the national average. We are seriously deprived in both quality of education and quality of healthcare. We can expect to be less qualified and die sooner than anybody else in the country.
It is all relative though, if you look on the census some areas health figures are better than the national average the same goes to education. Lorreto college for example has above average UCAS points.

The problem is there is so many rough areas in Manchester it is these that bring the statistics down. Trafford, Stockport etc score far better. Trafford even has some of the highest education attainment figures in the country because of the fact they still have grammar schools.

A lot of the health problems are probably directly related to the lack of basic education in a lot of mancs.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
haha I can just imagine his personal statement

"my daddy is a torie mp and wnt to oxford there for i want to apply to camb. daddy paid for extra tuition for me so i would pass da grades. as daddy is lord foster the chairman of AQA they ensured i wud get all a's. at school i did learn da alphabet but most of ma time was spent learning how all da lower class are scum and shud all work din da ford factory making crappy cars"

P.S I'm so tired so sorry if this is a stupid reply
Hold on, hold on- let's not get carried away with ourselves! You're giving him WAY too much credit- tuition? Are you kidding me? That's got, like, two I's and an O thrown in just to confuse matters.

Has anyone else noticed that William seems to have fallen off the face of the earth/thread since madmazda86 gave her excellent psychodynamic diagnosis? I think he fell off his chair at the word 'retentive' and may of, I hate to even think it, sniff, knocked himself out.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It is all relative though, if you look on the census some areas health figures are better than the national average the same goes to education. Lorreto college for example has above average UCAS points.

The problem is there is so many rough areas in Manchester it is these that bring the statistics down. Trafford, Stockport etc score far better. Trafford even has some of the highest education attainment figures in the country because of the fact they still have grammar schools.

A lot of the health problems are probably directly related to the lack of basic education in a lot of mancs.
But talking of the actual area of Manchester. Not the suburbs. That extends from Ducie in the south, to North Manc. for boys. Goto Bury, they are averaging 70% pass rates at least, they have the 4th best state college in the country (Holy Cross), and their life expectancy increases by years. I'm sure you know Bury is just 20 minutes away from the nearest school classed as "Manchester." The change really is that drastic.

Loreto, Parrs Wood and Xaverian are clearly propping up standards whilst the other institutions are failing. (Xaverian not so much, but still a million years away from MANCAT or City College).

You are entirely right, Manchester has huge social problems to deal with that the suburbs and most cities don't have to. Having said this, Birmingham and London put us to SHAME for education and healthcare. London clearly has huge problems with poverty and the inner city, but even their worse schools are outperforming us. Economists usually put this down to the factor immobility problem, and underfunding by the government to the Manchester authority.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads