This discussion is closed.
LongGone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
*mutters in disbelief*
Maybe English Literature or History are really difficult subjects (for both subjects, I scored less than 100%) but Maths is just......... easy? I can't believe people don't consider it an easy A level.
Maybe you just have a natural talent for it, or maybe it has a different image where you live? Cause over here, people consider it to be really hard...
musicman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
*mutters in disbelief*
Maybe English Literature or History are really difficult subjects (for both subjects, I scored less than 100%) but Maths is just......... easy? I can't believe people don't consider it an easy A level.
Yeah sure, I find maths easy, but I think it's very ignorant to presume that everyone should find it an "easy a level" just because you happen to think it's easy.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
*mutters in disbelief*
Not at all - in the UK it's widely considered one of the hardest. I was good at maths - one of the best my school had had, or so they said (not that I care - I was going for medicine, so that didn't bother me much) but I still found myself tying myself in knots over bits of it. Which country are you from, lilsunflower? Maybe Maths is better taught there, or people have more aptitude for it.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Not at all - in the UK it's widely considered one of the hardest. I was good at maths - one of the best my school had had, or so they said (not that I care - I was going for medicine, so that didn't bother me much) but I still found myself tying myself in knots over bits of it. Which country are you from, lilsunflower? Maybe Maths is better taught there, or people have more aptitude for it.
My parents are from India, for them the standard of Maths in this country at pre university level is at best 'ordinary'. I think that's probably true, most of the people I know who study/have studied Maths at Univ and are actually doing well there considered Maths A level almost as an insult to their intelligence (that's a quote from a close friend, he was actually born/raised in Brit. too). Then again, it seems easier in hindsight, especially when you're into your 20's.

There are plenty of people in all 3 groupings, people that find it close to impossible, those that cope and those that find it dead easy all the way through.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by WilliamFoster)
It takes balls to do A-level maths and people who take media (in many cases) would never think of taking maths. The reason why the pass rate for media is lower is because many people walk into over confident because their dyslexic older brother managed to get an A, so they don't even try hence their low marks.
LOL, why the hell am i even waisting my time to compare maths and media, two extremes of academic rigour.
I agree with this post, more people get A grade in Maths A-Level because it does require bright students to do the A-Level - Those who aren't bright enough at Maths to do it wouldn't take the A-Level, or would drop out in a matter of weeks.

Media is an A-Level that anyone can take as long as they have met the minimum entry requirements, therefore overall the standard of those taking it would be naturally lower to maths - in Maths you need a high B grade at GCSE to even take the A-Level, and those who stay on to A2 have to be good - no excuses.

BTW: This doesn't mean to say that you aren't an assshole, I just agreed that Pencil Queen's stat was irrelevant.

PS: Show some respect to people, you're attitude is disgraceful and you would get nowhere in life talking such crap.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why do people keep inflating the difficulty of A level maths? It is an extremely easy subject (F Maths is also a walkover) and I'm not saying this from only my perspective, but from the fact that my entire class has an average of 95% for AS Level Maths, though my history class for example has an average of 65%.
I agree, though I also think that it depends on what you're good at. Ask me to learn a modern language and I won't be doing so well...
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Going to an all girls' school means that we have a 'joint' boys' school who started getting taught the A-level syllabus in Year 8. In year 11, the top set did P1 papers in 35 minutes (the length of a lesson) and dropped on average, one or two marks. Their entire top set also sat a FSMQ in Additional Maths (like Further Maths GCSE).

In their SATs, 33 people out of a year group of 110 (I think) received Exceptional Performance. I believe that EP is only give to the top 0.1% of candidates? Another boy I know who goes there is doing his A-level Maths at the same time as his GCSE Maths.

I think about 70%+ of their year ends up taking Maths A-level and they view P1, P2 and S1 at least as complete jokes. P3 is seen as "a bit more difficult."

Cross the road to my school and maybe 40% of the year takes Maths, with only two people doing Further Maths. I'm one of "few people" my Maths teacher can predict firmly an A.

Oh, but our GCSE and A-level grades are higher than the boys' school...? Note: don't see my school as being bad, we're one of the top state schools in the country, it's just that Maths A-level is really, bloody difficult. But there are some anomalies in this, as everyone at the boys' school thinks it's a lesson you can muck about in.

It depends on the teaching, how much homework is set (they get set at least twice as much for Maths) but also, in the lower years, how much pressure was put on the subject (they learnt differentiation and integration in Year 7. We came across it in Year 11).

But even so, I know some people at the boys' school who were hopeless at Maths, though they got excellent teaching which 95% of their year responded to. For them, it was a nightmare having to do so much Maths.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by deianra)
Going to an all girls' school means that we have a 'joint' boys' school who started getting taught the A-level syllabus in Year 8. In year 11, the top set did P1 papers in 35 minutes (the length of a lesson) and dropped on average, one or two marks. Their entire top set also sat a FSMQ in Additional Maths (like Further Maths GCSE).

In their SATs, 33 people out of a year group of 110 (I think) received Exceptional Performance. I believe that EP is only give to the top 0.1% of candidates? Another boy I know who goes there is doing his A-level Maths at the same time as his GCSE Maths.

I think about 70%+ of their year ends up taking Maths A-level and they view P1, P2 and S1 at least as complete jokes. P3 is seen as "a bit more difficult."

Cross the road to my school and maybe 40% of the year takes Maths, with only two people doing Further Maths. I'm one of "few people" my Maths teacher can predict firmly an A.

Oh, but our GCSE and A-level grades are higher than the boys' school...? Note: don't see my school as being bad, we're one of the top state schools in the country, it's just that Maths A-level is really, bloody difficult. But there are some anomalies in this, as everyone at the boys' school thinks it's a lesson you can muck about in.

It depends on the teaching, how much homework is set (they get set at least twice as much for Maths) but also, in the lower years, how much pressure was put on the subject (they learnt differentiation and integration in Year 7. We came across it in Year 11).

But even so, I know some people at the boys' school who were hopeless at Maths, though they got excellent teaching which 95% of their year responded to. For them, it was a nightmare having to do so much Maths.

In my school maths was taught appalingly, in GCSE 30 to a class even the "express" class who took GCSE early. Come A level time thoses express candidates had finished GCSE early and spent the second y11 year doing piss easy gcse stats, and so they struggled to tget back to Pure in Y12.

Out of the 30 candidates doing AS maths 15 failed, a couple got A's, couple got B's few Cs the rest E's.

Tragic eh!
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
Out of the 30 candidates doing AS maths 15 failed, a couple got A's, couple got B's few Cs the rest E's.

Tragic eh!
I think my school's record is even worse

For my year:
15 people took AS maths
10 failed
1 A grade
1 C grade
3 E grades

The year before was worse tho... out of 10 people taking it, 8 failed, 1 got a D and 1 an E.

I think our maths department may need help. :rolleyes:
swampcustard
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
According to LSE, they do not make, or try not to make, offers based on results in the following subjects:

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
DT
Home Economics
ICT
Law
Media Studies
Sports Studies
Theatre Studies

Let's face it, if you MUST take two or three of those subjects at A Level then you're too stupid to be involved in academic study.
:mad:

Tek, I'm not being funny but you don't have clue what you're talking about - I did Advanced BTEC Business Studies (with French) at college & worked really hard to get a Distinction in every unit. It wasn't easy as we had a shed-load of heavy course work and exams just the same as A Level (a distinction in 18 Units is equivalent to 2 A's at A Level). And now I'm doing a law degree at uni which is also hard work & in no way a Mickey Mouse subject! YOu're so deluded - since when have accounting & finance, economics & other business studies subjects been easy? And law is one of the most respected degrees you can do which takes 4-5 years to complete so the entry requirements are hardly going to be low.
I've got loads of friends who are doing subjects such as biomedical science, neuroscience, maths and architecture at uni but instead of putting down other peoples' qualifications, they're positive about anyone who makes it to uni, despite their entry route .
You must be doing something harder than anyone else in the world to make the comments you did - what is it you do exactly? Are you finding a cure for cancer, aids and securing world peace in your first semester?

And anyway, if you're so clever why did you choose to go to uni in the most expensive part of the country? duh!

Grow a brain.
CatrinaShearer
Report 17 years ago
I got an offer from LSE that includes drama a level...
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by CatrinaShearer)
I got an offer from LSE that includes drama a level...
That's probably because you do Drama at A-level.
CatrinaShearer
Report 17 years ago
wow-your powers of deducation are impressive. lol
I was just pointing out the fact that you can still get offers from LSE if you're doing subjects on their so called "black list."
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was just pointing out the fact that you can still get offers from LSE if you're doing subjects on their so called "black list."
which degree is it for, out of interest
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What other subjects are you doing? Because I'm doing a "micky mouse" subject too
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hehe, sorry! The LSE made you an offer indeed, but they asked for the grade in drama probably because they didn't have much choice, i.e. you are only doing a few A-levels and drama is one of them.
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Are you serious? The LSE considers Theatre Studies an easy subject? That's crazy! I gave it up last year because I found it so difficult! (I got a B at AS and A s in all my other subjects - Geography, History and English Lit). History (EdExcel) is by far the hardest subject I do, with the largest workload.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Are you serious? The LSE considers Theatre Studies an easy subject? That's crazy! I gave it up last year because I found it so difficult! (I got a B at AS and A s in all my other subjects - Geography, History and English Lit). History (EdExcel) is by far the hardest subject I do, with the largest workload.
Yeh history is difficult. And psychology certainly isn't the easy subject that people make it out to be!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Nottingham, i have since found out, judge applicants on what "traditional subjects" they do. At least fo rlaw anyway, when i went ot do the selection test they mentioned it. Which is downright unfair, i had to take sociology (not criticising it, but it is my least "traditional") as it was one of the only subjects that would fit my timetable.

This is discrimination against state schools and colleges, all the private schools in my area dont offer anythin so frivolous as sociology, law, politics, theatre, media, 3d design, film etc etc.
Bestes
Report 17 years ago
The most easiest way to receive A is to use services in http://www.BestEssays.com

Try it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.81%
Uncertainty around my education (182)
15.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (131)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (169)
14.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.3%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.73%
Loneliness (101)
8.52%
Financial worries (39)
3.29%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.81%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.72%
Lack of real life entertainment (63)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (105)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (107)
9.02%

Watched Threads