The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
amazingtrade
That is exactly the same with me, I am studying Multimedia and Internet Technology because I love the internet so much, I love knowing how it all works down to binary level and I love producing fairly advanced websites. I will probably go on to get a first a good 2:1 with honours and then get a good job because I can be employed with little further training.

It maybe considered as micky mouse because I find it easy because its a natural interest but who cares? I've learn't so much over the last year I don't care if my university is ranked 63/125.

Yeah well done mate. Your uni ranking shouldn't mpact on your job prospects, you come out with the same degree having learnt the same stuff as someone at a so called better Uni.

It seems this elitism about institutions really rears its head for subjects such as Law, as unlike medicine, the whole spectrum of Unis do it from Oxb to polys, firms are often reluctant to recruit from certain unis. Which is unfair as people have got there on ALevel grades, ad once at uni really change and develop academically to the same standard as "better" Uni's.
Reply 61
amazingtrade
The MET did offer a place to a person for a chemestry course with just two EE's. It was on the front page of evening news. Bolton offered them a place on the same course with just one E. Salford said you can study here but that person would have to an HND first.

Manchester Met is very good for an ex poly the teaching standards are high, its just the research that lets it down. Salford has the opposite problem, very good for research not so good on teaching. Bolton isn't that good for either and has like the highest drop out rates in the country. This does not mean that everybody who goes to Bolton is thick and is doing a mickymouse course.

I lot of people go to ex polys because it is the nearest uni to them and they cannot afford to move out.

Yes these are the dodgy dealings I was talking about. Didn't the guy phone up, and plead with the admissions tutors who were short of students to start the course?

Yes, they cannot afford to move out, or their parents won't let them.

Just for example's sake (as I think there is some serious exaggeration going on in here). My friend 'S' got 3 A*s, 6 As and a B at GCSE, AABC at AS (Media, English Lang, Chemistry, Biology). SHe's going to be studying Law at Man Met or LJM. Hardly an EE student, is she?
Tek
Oh, and I hold a Scholarship at the best Public School in London, so don't try to guess at my intelligence.

Well if they were handing out scholarships for arrogance you'd certainly win every one in the country. Those who aren't as lucky as you and don't hold scholarships to top private schools haven't necessarily had the same opportunities as you so I don't see why they should be bad-mouthed for choosing 'non-traditional' subjects at A Level.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 63
Tek
Well quite, if your sister applied there and if your teacher went there is must obviously be a decent University. Can you back this up on the League Tables please? It might be a little more objective.

I'm not saying it's good because I know people who went there... idiot. I was just mentioning that they did.

I didn't say it was the best Univeristy in the country, or even in Manchester. I just said that it was decent. Let's face it, there are far worse places that you could go.
Reply 64
hildabeast
Well if they were handing out scholarships for arrogance you'd certainly win every one in the country.

:biggrin: Most sensible thing I've heard all day.
Reply 65
fishpaste
Just for example's sake (as I think there is some serious exaggeration going on in here). My friend 'S' got 3 A*s, 6 As and a B at GCSE, AABC at AS (Media, English Lang, Chemistry, Biology). SHe's going to be studying Law at Man Met or LJM. Hardly an EE student, is she?

Notice how I said people with "EEU" at A Level were stupid. She got AABC, so she is quite clearly intelligent enough to go anywhere.
Reply 66
Tek
Notice how I said people with "EEU" at A Level were stupid. She got AABC, so she is quite clearly intelligent enough to go anywhere.

My college gives offers conditional on EE at A2.

Ben
Reply 67
i guess a subject wont be made an A-level subject if it isnt worth studying... :wink:
Reply 68
Frances
I'm not saying it's good because I know people who went there... idiot. I was just mentioning that they did.

I didn't say it was the best Univeristy in the country, or even in Manchester. I just said that it was decent. Let's face it, there are far worse places that you could go.

Yep recent poor performance in the league tables were due to face Salford was finding it hard to attract good students however the entry requirments are increasing every year as the area of Salford is getting a better reputation.

TEK - Salford has one of the highest employability ratings in the country at 96%. It is also placed in the 30's for research. Salford do offer some bad course but they also offer some good ones, their games design course requires 300 UCAS points including physics for example.

The same goes to Manchester Met its a good university that offers some good courses.

Bolton sadly I don't have any good word for their computing depertment it is well below the standards of the Met and Salford. I say this from what I saw at their open day the standard of work just seemed lacking. I also know a few bolton drop outs who said the place was quite simply awful.
Reply 69
Tek

SHe got rejected from Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds. In fact the only places she got offers from were Bradford, LJM, and Man Met, ie. ex polys. So you see, they're offering challenging courses for bright people, and not wasting money on failing EE students as you seem to believe.
Reply 70
Tek
Yes they are.

Oh, and I hold a Scholarship at the best Public School in London, so don't try to guess at my intelligence.

Hi - what school is that (not having a dig, just wanna know)
Tek

How can someone with EEU be stupid??? To get onto an A Level course you would usually need 5 Cs at GCSE (often more). Just 50% of GCSE students get this, so how can those who do be stupid???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 72
Tek

Yes and maybe she was intellegent enough not to let league tables be the main influence of her choice. She probably went to the Met because she likes the university not because its the only place she could get in.
Reply 73
Ben.S.
My college gives offers conditional on EE at A2.

Ben

It shows that results dont always represent potential ...as Uni style study is not the same as at school /college. These places are for people who deserve them, "mickey mouse" or otherwise.
I think Tek is jealous that he has taken so called "proper" alevels to justify his existence at some elitist school, and feels cheated. HAHA
Reply 74
I think Tek is just upset that people in the real world aren't going to say "wow you did hard subjects at a good school, please be my friend, I am not worthy." Most people judge character (and intelligence) on much less favourable terms.
Reply 75
Tek

They may not be more intelligent than you (although of course you could be talking total bullshit the whole time) but I sure as hell would rather know them than you.
Reply 76
True intelligence is very different to the capacity to merely absorb and regurgitate knowledge. Unfortunately, with the way we are all coached, examined and ranked, these two things have become synonymous. It's a sad state of affairs when the way we respond to exams is the sole factor in dictating our futures.

Ben
Reply 77
i think you need to think a bit more about what Tek is saying before slagging him off completely. 'course, i gotta admit, he does come across as a bigheadead, arrogant twat. but thats beside the point.

he actually is right. ive said it before, and i'll say it again - degrees are for those that are academically excellent. thats it. degrees from lots of expolys are worthless - in fact i'd like degrees to be contained to only the more traditional subjects; languages, sciences (incl comp sci), music, philisophy, geography, history, economics, politics, music, art(maybe) [still undecided on things like classics and fine art]

but thats not to say those that arent clever enough to get a degree should be swept into maccyDs - no way! its just that we dont need a degree in computer games design. its worthwhile(kinda) but i dont think it should be a degree.
Reply 78
kikzen
i think you need to think a bit more about what Tek is saying before slagging him off completely. 'course, i gotta admit, he does come across as a bigheadead, arrogant twat. but thats beside the point.

he actually is right. ive said it before, and i'll say it again - degrees are for those that are academically excellent. thats it. degrees from lots of expolys are worthless - in fact i'd like degrees to be contained to only the more traditional subjects; languages, sciences (incl comp sci), music, philisophy, geography, history, economics, politics, music, art(maybe) [still undecided on things like classics and fine art]

but thats not to say those that arent clever enough to get a degree should be swept into maccyDs - no way! its just that we dont need a degree in computer games design. its worthwhile(kinda) but i dont think it should be a degree.

Why is a degree from an ex-poly worthless? Granted, it probably isn't worth as much as a degree from a more traditional Uni, but that does't make it worthless.

And why should we only study traditional subjects at Uni? The world is changing all the time, why shouldn't we move with it?
Reply 79
kikzen

ffffucccckkk

Computer games design is actually as hard as neclear physics. If you know what was involved you would realise this. Creating computer games is basicaly all about physics, you have to understand how gravity works and everything. I mad a simple frogger game once and it took me days to figure out the physics/ Making modern computer games is probably about the hardest thing you can do in modern computing. It requires so much programming knowledge as well such as c++, directx etc. Computer games course are not about making fancy graphics or coming up with ideas.

Latest

Trending

Trending