The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Frances

The attitude that anybody who takes media studies is an idiot really pisses me off.

I don't think people are idiots, but i have to admit the course is EASY! I was discussing with my friend before she went into her A2 exam, and i could answer confidently the questions without studying the course!

Alot of it is common-sense.... I mean people got like 98% in Media, than failed maths, or got a E/D in Psychology. There is a divide between the courses, but the roots of everything is to enjoy it, surely people are missing the point of education??

OR are people simply interested in money/careers? Does no one wish to follow the academic route, or choose a subject to study, for one FACTOR - ENJOYMENT!!!

C'mon people, lighten up....
Reply 101
Specialheffa
Isn't learning all about enjoyment???? Who cares how hard an A'Level is, if you enjoy something it should not matter!?!!

Yes from a selfish kind point of view of course you need to enjoy it otherwise you're not doing yourself any favours. However the qualifcation should also have value to wider society otherwise its just a waste of money.

I think most A levels are of worth to society if not all of them. Also I would say 80% of degrees are worth while.

I think it is more about the person. If a person struggles at uni and does not enjoy it then they should quit as they likely to get a bad grade and get into state.
*scratches head*.... Why do people find Maths difficult? Even F Maths is a giveaway.

I find HISTORY a real killer. It's the only subject that makes me pale with fear and convinced I got an E on.

Gah.... to each his/her own.
Reply 103
lilsunflower
*scratches head*.... Why do people find Maths difficult? Even F Maths is a giveaway.

I find HISTORY a real killer. It's the only subject that makes me pale with fear and convinced I got an E on.

Gah.... to each his/her own.

It just depends on the person, I find maths very difficult but I find C++ programming easy where as a lot of people on my course struggle with it.

I can only do maths when I am applying somthing in real life to it. For example if I had to build some speakers I could understand the formulas then but if it was written down on a paper and was just a meaingless sum I would could not do it. I hate maths basicaly.
Reply 104
I struggle with Further Maths. Not that bad. I'm still confident of my ability. But considering how easily I flew through the first few modules I now struggle with some of the concepts in F.Maths.

Right now we're doing non homogeneous differential equations, and I can do them mechanically. But my mind has trouble understanding how things like the factor theorem can be used to find constants, and how the derivative of the complimentary function is 0 or 'discarded' when trying to find the specific integral.
You know what's funny? F Maths is easy for me... coz' of all the pure modules. But.. you know which Math module killed me?

Statistics 1!!!!!

Muahahha... My nemesis.
Reply 106
I can't believe all the crap I'm reading here. Unlike a lot (but by no means all) of the people on here, I chose my A levels based on what I enjoyed and what I could see myself doing in the future, NOT based on how "hard" or "respected" they are. I do English lit and lang, History, Geography and Psychology, which I consider all to be hard, but within my capabilities. Loads of people have said that Psychology is a micky mouse subject but I don't care because I enjoy it and do well in it. If I did maths and worked hard I know I would do well in that too, but what's the point if you don't enjoy it? Tek, not everyone is like you, not everyone feels the need to conform to what people like LSE want, some people are capable of chosing their own path in life based on what they want to do. My best friend got all A/A*s for GCSE and she is taking Media, Drama, English and Psychology for A level, not because they are easy but because she enjoys them. And as for art being a micky mouse subject...wtf?! Art was my most difficult and time consuming subject last year, and that was only GCSE!
~Sam~
I can't believe all the crap I'm reading here. Unlike a lot (but by no means all) of the people on here, I chose my A levels based on what I enjoyed and what I could see myself doing in the future, NOT based on how "hard" or "respected" they are. I do English lit and lang, History, Geography and Psychology, which I consider all to be hard, but within my capabilities. Loads of people have said that Psychology is a micky mouse subject but I don't care because I enjoy it and do well in it. If I did maths and worked hard I know I would do well in that too, but what's the point if you don't enjoy it? Tek, not everyone is like you, not everyone feels the need to conform to what people like LSE want, some people are capable of chosing their own path in life based on what they want to do. My best friend got all A/A*s for GCSE and she is taking Media, Drama, English and Psychology for A level, not because they are easy but because she enjoys them. And as for art being a micky mouse subject...wtf?! Art was my most difficult and time consuming subject last year, and that was only GCSE!

Well said :smile:
My list of subjects I would definitely fail: PE, Art, Music, Drama, IT, DT, and any European language. Subjects that don't need revision? Any Maths...
amazingtrade
Yes from a selfish kind point of view of course you need to enjoy it otherwise you're not doing yourself any favours. However the qualifcation should also have value to wider society otherwise its just a waste of money.

I think most A levels are of worth to society if not all of them. Also I would say 80% of degrees are worth while.

I think it is more about the person. If a person struggles at uni and does not enjoy it then they should quit as they likely to get a bad grade and get into state.

Much less than 80% of degrees are worthwhile, the amount of people i know who have got media studies degrees, AND HAVE NOT yet managed to get a job (2yrs plus after degree) in the area of study. Degree programs should be strictly limited, Daivd Beckham StudieS??? And people wonder why top-up fees have been passed..

So it is 'selfish' to enjoy a degree/ A'Level program? Take a scenario then, you take a degree may be worthwhile, but you don't enjoy it, so you drop-out. Therefore money and time has been wasted on your 'education'. Society, and people applying for courses are told too often you MUST get a degree in blahblah to get money... shame that.
Reply 109
Specialheffa
Much less than 80% of degrees are worthwhile, the amount of people i know who have got media studies degrees, AND HAVE NOT yet managed to get a job (2yrs plus after degree) in the area of study. Degree programs should be strictly limited, Daivd Beckham StudieS??? And people wonder why top-up fees have been passed..

So it is 'selfish' to enjoy a degree/ A'Level program? Take a scenario then, you take a degree may be worthwhile, but you don't enjoy it, so you drop-out. Therefore money and time has been wasted on your 'education'. Society, and people applying for courses are told too often you MUST get a degree in blahblah to get money... shame that.

Your two points seem to be contradicting themselves
Reply 110
Specialheffa

My cousin did Media Studies degree he is a doctor now and will get a job as a senior lecturer earning £50k a year. I didn't mean it was selfish to do somthing you wanted to do, as we all have to be selfish at times. I agree with you about dropping out because you don't like a subject I have made that point many times on this forum.

I hear all these studies about such such a did media studies and has not got a job. It turns out they studied at Bolton and got a 3rd class none honours degree and have no work experience no wonder they are still unemployed.
~Sam~
Your two points seem to be contradicting themselves

Yea.. lol..

I shall try to elaborate..lol

I am torn between doing something you enjoy, but then the case is those that enjoy media studies (soz to use it again), but then doing a degree program which will not get you a job in the field....

**Me thinks, too much grape juice lol** :wink:
amazingtrade
My cousin did Media Studies degree he is a doctor now and will get a job as a senior lecturer earning £50k a year. I didn't mean it was selfish to do somthing you wanted to do, as we all have to be selfish at times. I agree with you about dropping out because you don't like a subject I have made that point many times on this forum.

I hear all these studies about such such a did media studies and has not got a job. It turns out they studied at Bolton and got a 3rd class none honours degree and have no work experience no wonder they are still unemployed.

That's a stark generalisation! However, you don't get media studies degrees from Oxbridge or LSE... I agree about the work experience, maybe media studies degrees should have a compulsory yr work experience...

And is he lecturing in "media studies"... the most annoying thing is (exposed on Black Ambition BBC2 at Cam) is the amount of times these people go to University to do say Law, at the end of it... "No i want to do media or music" WHY THE HELL GO TO OXBRIDGE AND DO LAW.....
Reply 113
Specialheffa
Yea.. lol..

I shall try to elaborate..lol

I am torn between doing something you enjoy, but then the case is those that enjoy media studies (soz to use it again), but then doing a degree program which will not get you a job in the field....

**Me thinks, too much grape juice lol** :wink:

Yeah I see your point. Everyone says that media studies won't land you a job in the media, but neither will other subjects on their own. Experience, personality and character all count as well as the subject you studied at university. Well, at least they should do. And a high majority of people who study English at uni end up as secretaries...

(Ok, I'm rambling now. I really dont know what the point is i'm trying to make)
Reply 114
Specialheffa
That's a stark generalisation! However, you don't get media studies degrees from Oxbridge or LSE... I agree about the work experience, maybe media studies degrees should have a compulsory yr work experience...

And is he lecturing in "media studies"... the most annoying thing is (exposed on Black Ambition BBC2 at Cam) is the amount of times these people go to University to do say Law, at the end of it... "No i want to do media or music" WHY THE HELL GO TO OXBRIDGE AND DO LAW.....

Law at Oxbridge is supposed to an academic subject and not nessecarily vocational.
Reply 115
Well I do Business Studies, ICT and Psychology at A Level, and did English Language at AS Level. So obviously I am destined to be a failure throughout life. Infact, I think I better tie some rope connecting my throat and the banister upstairs and make a dash down the staircase.

Why do people, such as Tek.. seem adament on coming onto the Internet to make strangers feel insecure and inferior because they don't do traditional subjects? Seems extremely strange to me, because they seem to get a great deal of satisfaction from doing so. Ah well, I'm pretty sure the Internet is a useful way for social outcasts to feed their Superiorty Complex.
Reply 116
James_W
Well I do Business Studies, ICT and Psychology at A Level, and did English Language at AS Level. So obviously I am destined to be a failure throughout life. Infact, I think I better tie some rope connecting my throat and the banister upstairs and make a dash down the staircase.

Why do people, such as Tek.. seem adament on coming onto the Internet to make strangers feel insecure and inferior because they don't do traditional subjects? Seems extremely strange to me, because they seem to get a great deal of satisfaction from doing so. Ah well, I'm pretty sure the Internet is a useful way for social outcasts to feed their Superiorty Complex.

Lol and you know what you have every chance of becoming a success as Tek does. It is not all about peices of paper the person matters more than what your degree says.

The only people that I don't respect is those that are lazy and fail as a result of it. As longs as a person has worked hard to achieve somthing then they deserve respect for it.
Reply 117
I tell you something, in the real world.. when Tek wants a job in the City or wherever he wants to be.. if the employer sees any sign of that arrogance or holier than thou attitude come across in the interview, they will send him packing. I don't claim to know Tek, but if someone comes on the Internet with the intention of making people feel bad - I actually feel sorry for them.
Reply 118
Hi i don't want to sound like tek but he does have a point, but tek you really don't need to be that arrogant, could i suggest removing the chip from your shoulder?
i studied only 4 a levels and it sounds like these days everyone is doing at least 6, crazy kids. I took history, german, law, and english language. Now tek say what you like but i scored top marks inall 4, i am now studying for a degree in english, linguistics and philosophy at a top university and i'm not talking ex-poly. I lso rejected cambridge for personal reasons. So surely most of what you were saying about easy a levels is false as is the bit about LSE i was offerred a place there on the understanding i got certain grades in english language, history and law, wasn't it you who said they didn't recognise a level law?
However some a levels are not considered to be the same as others, be this snobbery or otherwise it's the truth and the kids need to be told that if they choose all of their a levels from this category it is likely they will be turned down from the elite unis or at least be rigorously interviewed. The thing that worries me is not that people can do degrees in media or sociology, but is linked with a story my local MP (with whom i'm doing an internship at the house of commons this summer, sorry needed to brag a little)told me.
He was recently talking to a young man on a plane who told him he was off to university for 3 years to study for a degree at a reputable university ~(which shall remain nameless for fear of legal action), when he enquired as to the nature of the study the chap replied, surfing. Sorry if it takes three years and a hell of a lot of debt to learn to balance on a floating object the world is insane.
:confused: :confused:
Reply 119
James_W
I tell you something, in the real world.. when Tek wants a job in the City or wherever he wants to be.. if the employer sees any sign of that arrogance or holier than thou attitude come across in the interview, they will send him packing. I don't claim to know Tek, but if someone comes on the Internet with the intention of making people feel bad - I actually feel sorry for them.

You're just jealous because I'm studying proper subjects for A Level.

Latest

Trending

Trending