This discussion is closed.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I hear all these studies about such such a did media studies and has not got a job. It turns out they studied at Bolton and got a 3rd class none honours degree and have no work experience no wonder they are still unemployed.
Exactly - what was the point of doing the degree in the first place? It was a bloody waste of public money.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
You're just jealous because I'm studying proper subjects for A Level.
And what exactly gives you the right to distinguish what is and what isn't a "proper" subject?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
And what exactly gives you the right to distinguish what is and what isn't a "proper" subject?
Why don't you look yourself in the mirror and ask "is Film Studies a proper subject?"
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Why don't you look yourself in the mirror and ask "is Film Studies a proper subject?"
Given the fact that I have never studied it and don't know what it involves, I don't feel informed enough to be able to pass judgement. But just because it isn't a traditional subject, it doesn't make it any less "proper". If people enjoy film studies, then good for them. Not everyone feels the need to take "hard" subjects just to prove their worthiness to society
WilliamFoster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As far as i'm concerned the only PROPER A-levels are:
Maths/further maths
the sciences (NOT environmental science)
Geography
History
English Lit
French, Spanish and German
Economics
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Computing
hmm have i missed any?
for goodness sake please don't say media.

I guess drama os ok ONLY if you are pusuing related studies in university.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by WilliamFoster)
Maths/further maths
Geography
History
English Lit
Economics
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Computing
hmm have i missed any?

English lang and lit, Psychology? Are are you too good for those subjects?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maths/further maths
Geography
History
English Lit
Economics
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Computing
hmm have i missed any?

Well said!!
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Computing? Economics? Anybody.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Oh dear some things never change. It makes me wonder what the real issue is here?
starry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You people arguing give me a headache
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Just out of interest, what subjects are you doing exactly? Who on earth do you think you are? Can you look in the mirror and honestly say to yourself, "I am not a snob"? The thing is, you look down on people who, shock horror, dare to take Film Studies or Media Studies 'A' Levels, but you seem to be forgetting that not everyone is as overwhelmingly academic (or should that be boring?) as you. Some people may prefer to take a more vocational degree as that is where their talent lies, so a media/film 'A' level would be more appropriate preparation for that. Why shouldn't these people be allowed a course to suit their needs? Why should universities only offer courses for such "traditional" subjects as maths and languages? I fail to see how it affects you if someone takes a degree in media studies, just what is the problem? Sure, taxpayers are funding these degrees, but taxpayers also fund maths degrees so why shouldn't people whose talents lie in media be allowed to get a HE qualification? As it happens, I have a place at Cambridge, but many of my friends are going to study subjects like drama, media and fashion at ex-polys, but unlike you, I don't feel superior to these people - I happen to respect the fact that they have significant talent in these areas whereas I just happen to be more talented at academic study.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicman)
Just out of interest, what subjects are you doing exactly? Who on earth do you think you are? Can you look in the mirror and honestly say to yourself, "I am not a snob"? The thing is, you look down on people who, shock horror, dare to take Film Studies or Media Studies 'A' Levels, but you seem to be forgetting that not everyone is as overwhelmingly academic (or should that be boring?) as you. Some people may prefer to take a more vocational degree as that is where their talent lies, so a media/film 'A' level would be more appropriate preparation for that. Why shouldn't these people be allowed a course to suit their needs? Why should universities only offer courses for such "traditional" subjects as maths and languages? I fail to see how it affects you if someone takes a degree in media studies, just what is the problem? Sure, taxpayers are funding these degrees, but taxpayers also fund maths degrees so why shouldn't people whose talents lie in media be allowed to get a HE qualification? As it happens, I have a place at Cambridge, but many of my friends are going to study subjects like drama, media and fashion at ex-polys, but unlike you, I don't feel superior to these people - I happen to respect the fact that they have significant talent in these areas whereas I just happen to be more talented at academic study.
Its people who are at Oxbridge like you, hildabeast etc who have a good attitude (i.e none snobby) who will get the best jobs upon graduate. The snobby oxbridge people will find them selves at a disadantage when they get asked at an interview why did you go Cambridge "because I didn't want to go to a poly with the thick people".

I know out of you and Tek I would certainly rather employ you because you would fit into the organisation better. Remeber Tek you are likely to be working with media studies ex poly students.
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicman)
YES EXACTLY !! I can't agree with u more...although i'm also doing the more academic subjects, i never and i won't despise those doing vocational subjects...the world doesn't only need academics !!
the person who insulted ppl doing film studies is such an arrogant ignorant scum !
WilliamFoster
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Its people who are at Oxbridge like you, hildabeast etc who have a good attitude (i.e none snobby) who will get the best jobs upon graduate. The snobby oxbridge people will find them selves at a disadantage when they get asked at an interview why did you go Cambridge "because I didn't want to go to a poly with the thick people".

I know out of you and Tek I would certainly rather employ you because you would fit into the organisation better. Remeber Tek you are likely to be working with media studies ex poly students.
Thats just your own opinion shi*head, who said he humble will survive in this world...LOL your lining in lahlah land.
Secondly, what ever gave you the idea that an ex poly boy like you would ever be in a position to offer an oxbridge graduate a job, these graduates interview at places that you can only dream of.
So cut the crap, i will be 'snobby' if need be and my harsh personality is one which prevails in the city.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
my harsh personality is one which prevails in the city.
Unfortunately so. Oh well.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thats just your own opinion shi*head, who said he humble will survive in this world...LOL your lining in lahlah land.
Secondly, what ever gave you the idea that an ex poly boy like you would ever be in a position to offer an oxbridge graduate a job, these graduates interview at places that you can only dream of.
So cut the crap, i will be 'snobby' if need be and my harsh personality is one which prevails in the city.
Your so clever yet fail the need to post this kind of lower level school boy abuse? I can assure you that plenty of polyboys run their own businesses and take on graduates. Before I came on this forum I used to think people that went to indpendent/public schools were great, hard working etc and the snobbyness is just a myth. Since joining this forum my opinion of these places just gets lower and lower because people like you spoil it. Its not fair that they are some cracking unsnobby people at these places than can actually see the wider world.

Also I am not at an ex poly I don't know where you got that from. Also what makes you think there is room in the city for all these LSE graduates? Surely some of them will not get the jobs you want (at least according to league tables) then you would have wished you were not so cocky then.
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Firstly, most people who are able to survive in this world are capable of stringing a sentence together: judging by "he humble will survive" and "lining in lahlah land" you are unable to do this. Secondly, there are some people such as myself who don't need to be snobby or arrogant about our academic successes because our qualifications speak for themselves; are you saying that we, to use your hideous cliché, "live in la la land" because we feel those who wish to gain a HE qualification in media studies or a similar subject should be allowed to? It is you who is "living in la la land" if you feel that the world only needs graduates in "traditional" subjects. I'm sorry but we would not have access to such forums as this were it not for people like amazingtrade, so think about that next time you look down on them.
Aylia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maths/further maths
Geography
History
English Lit
Economics
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Computing
hmm have i missed any?

What? Not Latin?
musicman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Aylia)
What? Not Latin?
Of course Latin. But I'd ignore that list anyway; he doesn't seem to talk any sense.
WilliamFoster
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your so clever yet fail the need to post this kind of lower level school boy abuse? I can assure you that plenty of polyboys run their own businesses and take on graduates. Before I came on this forum I used to think people that went to indpendent/public schools were great, hard working etc and the snobbyness is just a myth. Since joining this forum my opinion of these places just gets lower and lower because people like you spoil it. Its not fair that they are some cracking unsnobby people at these places than can actually see the wider world.

Also I am not at an ex poly I don't know where you got that from. Also what makes you think there is room in the city for all these LSE graduates? Surely some of them will not get the jobs you want (at least according to league tables) then you would have wished you were not so cocky then.
Look idiot, failure is not an option for me and i don't give adamn what happens to say 5% of the other oxbridge/lse grads but i know i'm gonna go in that interview and get that job. That hole pessimistic thing is for losers.
The league table may say that loughborough has a better employment rate than say warwick but i can assure you that the type of jobs they go into are inferior. I am damn well hard working, hence the great uni offers i have, you may call me a snob and all that but it doesn't affect me so save it for someone who cares buddy. Maybe the Scum newspaper will want to here it, because by the way things sound thats the only company who will employ you, the mail if you're lucky.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (208)
42.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.29%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (194)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.65%

Watched Threads