The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Kirki
Wah, did I just write a load of complete and utter nonsense? That'll teach me to go to online forums whilst ill. Heh

Interesting that your "complete nonsense" seems the most logical, cogent thing I've read in ages!!! :wink:
Reply 161
Leekey
Interesting that your "complete nonsense" seems the most logical, cogent thing I've read in ages!!! :wink:

Awwww, thanks :smile: It seems flu is making me paranoid.
WilliamFoster
Who gives a crap, these days you need money attract classy ladies. I think i'm good looking enough to attract a girls attention, from then on i'll let my money do the talking.

lol, just had to share how much this made me think of David Brent... it really is that *i'm amazing, god-like and infallibe* attitude.

*waits for bump as someone comes down to earth*

lou xxx
Reply 163
The funny thing is that our dear William is talking in future tense about his potential lady friends, signalling that he probably has no experience with them yet - after '18 years on thsi earth'. Doh!
James_W
The funny thing is that our dear William is talking in future tense about his potential lady friends, signalling that he probably has no experience with them yet - after '18 years on thsi earth'. Doh!

i think the world should stop moving in suprise

*is now waiting for boasts about his conquests*

lou xxx
Reply 165
James_W
I completely agree, and thank fuck you put your view across in a way that no is left offended.

I'm not an academic person, I got very average GCSE's and picked up on my AS Levels. I hope to study Management Sciences at University (Nottingham/Southampton or Loughborough). Not very academic, I know. I'm naturally not academic or anything, so I work on my other strengths which will hopefully see me go far in life. Luckily, I have spoken to people in the City that share my philosophy.. and they are the people that count IMO.

I assure you that to even get near any of those three uni's, you do have great academic ability (particularly Notts)!!! :biggrin:
Reply 166
I'm interested to find out if William is a stereotype who has a private school upbringing and was coached to pass his exams.

James - I know what you mean about picking up in your ASs. I had written myself off until I went to college. (no doubt I will now get told I should not be at university by Sir William now).
Reply 167
Well, I couldn't do Maths, Chemistry or any of those type of subjects - so I'm not logical enough to be a true academic. I'm good at essay writing and the such, which is why I'm getting A's in the subjects I'm doing. Also, I think my personal statement had alot of bearing on the fact I got accepted into those Universities.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though, much appreciated fella.
Reply 168
James_W
Well, I couldn't do Maths, Chemistry or any of those type of subjects - so I'm not logical enough to be a true academic. I'm good at essay writing and the such, which is why I'm getting A's in the subjects I'm doing. Also, I think my personal statement had alot of bearing on the fact I got accepted into those Universities.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though, much appreciated fella.

Just because you're not good at maths it does not mean you are not intelligent. It just means you have a different skill. Essay writting is quite hard and a lot of people who are good at maths will struggle with it. This is one reason why people that slag of media studies annoy me.

If anything you are great because by saying what you have done it means you are down to earth and this is somthing employees want.
Reply 169
WilliamFoster
Who gives a crap, these days you need money attract classy ladies. I think i'm good looking enough to attract a girls attention, from then on i'll let my money do the talking.
It's funny how people meet someone on the internet who they don't see eye to eye with and immediately start making assumptions about them.

Can anyone else see the irony here?!!
Reply 170
Lol.. wouldn't say I was great by any stretch of the imagination! I just know where my weaknesses are. If someone with great academic ability, and a rounded personality and life to boot crops up; they are going to be successful. But it's rare to find someone with all three qualities.. and someone lacking one of these assets should not be taken the piss out of. Thats why so many of the Gods and Goddesses on here prick me off sometimes.
Reply 171
musicman
Can anyone else see the irony here?!!

hehe yep, I hate people that thing money is everything and that they can buy girls.
Reply 172
James_W
Lol.. wouldn't say I was great by any stretch of the imagination! I just know where my weaknesses are. If someone with great academic ability, and a rounded personality and life to boot crops up; they are going to be successful. But it's rare to find someone with all three qualities.. and someone lacking one of these assets should not be taken the piss out of. Thats why so many of the Gods and Goddesses on here prick me off sometimes.

I agree completely. If you want to go into academia, of course you've got to be academic. If you want to work in basically anything else, though, there are far far more important things.

(Agreeing about the three qualities part, of course. Rather than the greatness, which I'm in no position to judge at all :smile: )
Reply 173
The kid really has no ideas on women!

But hey, once he actually has sex - and realises that unless there is an emotional bond between a man and a woman, that is can be pretty pointless. When I was alot younger, it just used to be cheap and nasty looking back at it.

Also, he makes it seem like he is out on the hunt for prostitutes - "let my money do the talking" - haha!
Reply 174
James_W
The kid really has no ideas on women!

But hey, once he actually has sex - and realises that unless there is an emotional bond between a man and a woman, that is can be pretty pointless. When I was alot younger, it just used to be cheap and nasty looking back at it.

Also, he makes it seem like he is out on the hunt for prostitutes - "let my money do the talking" - haha!

lmfao you're probably right. I bet he will probably get a flash car too (a Ferarri) and drive it around Kings Road in Chelsea trying to get a cheap quickie.
WilliamFoster
It's funny how people meet someone on the internet who they don't see eye to eye with and immediately start making assumptions about them.

The only classy ladies you'd be likely to get are prostitutes with an attitude like that :wink:

How come nobody has mentioned Music? Any opinions on that? I'm in favour of doing subjects that I like - I enjoy Music so much that I'm even doing a GCSE twilight in it alongside my AS and A2 subjects, as I never had the chance to do it when I was originally doing my GCSEs. It takes a lot of dedication to do Music because of the sheer volume of time spent doing instrumental practice and compositions. I was forced into doing Maths because there were no other viable subjects in my final column, but I absolutely loathed it in spite of getting an A at GCSE - I was good at it, but I just didn't enjoy it, so I dropped it in favour of Psychology, which I love.

I have the pride in owning an AS Level in Science for Public Understanding *waits for the scorn to rain down* - no, I really am proud to have been given the chance to do such a great course, even if hardly anyone has heard of it. A lot of people in my year treated it as a doss subject, but because I worked really hard at it I gained a lot of transferable skills for the Biology and Chemistry A-Levels I'm taking, as well as a great love of research.

You should do A-Levels because you desire to further your knowledge. The desire to further knowledge can lead to the desire to follow a career, thus it is ultimately the reason why you do a degree. I know a girl who's fresh out of a drama degree - she doesn't expect to have any greater distinction from the others at auditions. She's working as a barmaid at the moment - but she did that degree because it was what she wanted to do. She took the time out to pursue something that she enjoyed before getting a job and joining the rest of the workers in the world, and that's what mattered. What A-Levels you do and what degree course you take don't come into it - it's having the guts to further your thirst for knowledge, and whether you get Us or As in the subjects you take, it's a right that you have.

Media Studies and the like are offered for that very reason. If you are genuinely interested in the subject then naturally you would do well in it, as enthusiasm drives you to put the effort in. With A-Levels you get out of them exactly what you put in. If you go into a subject thinking it's a doss, then it will be because it's what you make it. If you go in with a positive mindset and a genuine desire to learn, you will gain far more out of it because you learn on a higher level and thus gain a deeper understanding of the subject. It does not matter whether the subject is a mickey-mouse A-Level or not - the point being that if you really do want to learn, you will get something out of doing it. Not everyone has that sort of enthusiasm - they're not in college voluntarily, so they don't try. Those are the sort of people who should have left school at 16, for they would either do better in a job or be less trouble in the dole queue.

For those people who do put in the effort, the fact that they did take the time to pursue their interests to a higher level sets them apart, and they should be respected. They're on the same level as those doing A-Levels in Politics or whatever subjects are supposedly more highly-regarded. Another friend of mine is 20 and still in college completing her final A-Level in Psychology - she has ME and this is her third attempt to complete a full college year. She's not stupid - she's a trier, and I greatly admire her for her dedication and determination to reach her goals. As others have said - A-Levels are all the same, but it's what you get out of them that is ultimately important, whether that be a sense of satisfaction, entry into a Uni degree, a job, or just plain knowledge.
I don't know if music is "respected" or whatever, but it's definitely something worth doing. It's better to be well rounded and do something because you love it, rather than be cynical and do it because you think you'll get a ob at the end of it.

And I do do media and film for the same reason that I do history and politics- not because it's something that I think will be easy, but because I'm genuinely interested in learning it. (Although I have gone off History rather a lot... I don't find A Level half so interesting as GCSE).

I actually find a lot of the things we learn about in media fascinating- the feminist theories of the media, the representation of race. It's also quite eye opening in a way. At the end of the day, I know I'll have gained something from studying it for two years, and surely that's what matters the most?
Reply 177
For risk of putting my neck on the chopping block I would like to add the following:

I think that one of the main issues is the Governments desire to get 50% of people in to H.E. be it University or some other form.

Basic Economics will tell you that the more of something there is the less value it has and we are now at a point where so many people are graduating in so many different subjects that this was bound to happen. I know alot of people that have graduated in various subjects many of whom are either working in the boozer or are sitting on the dole. They think that because they are a graduate someone will come along and offer them a job for £30K a year + company car etc...

This leads to my main point -

It seems that virtually anyone can go to University, I know of people who have totally bombed out at A-Level and got like 1 "E" grade but still been accepted to <insert name here> converted polytechnic to do something or the other usually with an "ology" or "studies" suffix.

The question is should this really be happening? Should people who are obviously not cut out for study be allowed to progress to University level (subsidised by the taxpayer) where in reality they would be far better off doing something like plumbing where they would actually stand a chance of making a good living.

I am not talking about restricting peoples right to education or freedom of choice, all I am saying is that the graduate market is so saturated that employers are having to look into what people have been studying and where they have been studying it.

As a result of this alot of the newer universities and their less traditional subjects will suffer, this leads to the subjects becoming percieved as a mickey mouse course and the whole cycle repeats itself - know what I mean?
Reply 178
Frances
I don't know if music is "respected" or whatever, but it's definitely something worth doing. It's better to be well rounded and do something because you love it, rather than be cynical and do it because you think you'll get a ob at the end of it.

And I do do media and film for the same reason that I do history and politics- not because it's something that I think will be easy, but because I'm genuinely interested in learning it. (Although I have gone off History rather a lot... I don't find A Level half so interesting as GCSE).

I actually find a lot of the things we learn about in media fascinating- the feminist theories of the media, the representation of race. It's also quite eye opening in a way. At the end of the day, I know I'll have gained something from studying it for two years, and surely that's what matters the most?

Argh but you're wasting your time studying all that in media. According to Sir Williamand Tek we all know all you need to pass media studies at grade A is comment of David Beckham's new hair cut.

Hopefully you realise I am taking the micky and I do respect media studies and the like because it gives people are choice in what they want to do. Lets face it if we all studied maths life would be very boring.
i think it's unfair givin all a levels the same credit. but then again, the unis obviously take it into account. i guess the ones who do the harder subjects get further in the end. ppl should just do the subjects they enjoy.
its so annoying having friends not having any modules in jan or ones that are mainly coursework based. rrrrr. and your working ya bum off.

Latest

Trending

Trending