Anyone applied for Biology?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Lupin Loopy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
hey, I was just wondering if anyone else had applied for a Biology degree. I've had 5 of my replies so far:

Bath:ABB
Bristol: ABB
Birmingham: 300 points (although I have asked to be moved to the 4year sandwich course, so this offer will shortly be changed to 320 points)
Manchester: Interview on wednesday
Oxford: Rejected
Sheffield: BBB

I'm not quite sure where I'll accept yet. I really liked Sheffield, but its quite far away from where I live, and the course doesn't offer the sandwich year (well, apparently it is possible, but theres no official course), and bath is very good, as it is a good uni, and does offer the sandwich year, but I think I'd like to live in a larger city. I think Birmingham has pretty much all I want, but I just have to wait for the course/offer change to come through....

*sigh* I wish I wasn't pushed through the application process so quickly by my college (they wanted oxbridge applications in asap), then I would have had a proper chance to think about the courses, and apply for the sandwich year straight off
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Id heard that one in two applicants to oxford got accepted and that it was the easiest degree to get into oxbridge with? How was your interviews up there? I was thinking about applying for it...
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Id heard that one in two applicants to oxford got accepted and that it was the easiest degree to get into oxbridge with? How was your interviews up there? I was thinking about applying for it...
Way to make me feel better about myself........ :mad:

Yes, biology is an easier subject to be accepted into at Oxford (well, at least easier than English, Medicine, Law etc), but its still trying for a place at the top university in the country.

As for 1 in 2 applicants get accepted, I think that as with any subject, it depends on the college you choose. I chose St Johns, and I think this year there were about 20-25 applicants there for interviews for about 4 places

I think my first interview at STJ went ok, I managed to answer most of the questions, but I didnt really like the tutors much. Going on first impressions, they seemed to be quite old fashioned and stern......there was no guiding you along the questions if you're stuck (which was what I was told would happen by teachers at my college). To be honest, I don't know if I would have liked to have been taught by them.

My second interview at another college was horrible. It was the end of the second day, and I just wanted to go home. I was tired and I just couldn't answer the questions properly (the questions were more on how you would investigate a theory.......what equipment you would use etc etc...). However, the tutors were much nicer, and more laid back.

To be honest, I don't think that I would have liked to study at oxford - the work pressure would have been huge, and I dont see myself as being a clever person - I just work very hard.
Also, I'm not sporty/musical, which I think is quite a larger factor in giving places

I didn't mind that I didn't get in - the biology course at oxford is quite resticted, whereas at other places I've applied there are many many optional modules and opportunities to have work placements.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Sorry didnt mean to sound offensive! Which do you think you will take? What are our ambitions for after the degree? I didnt apply for biology...
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
I expect I'll go for birmingham, as long as my course change goes through ok (they said on the phone it'll be alright).
I don't really know what to do after my degree, but by choosing biology I think I'm keeping my options open (both numerical and written skills will be gained), plus a sandwich year always looks good to any prospective employers.
So have you decided against Biology?
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well I was thinnking of putting a biology course alongside my veterinary medicine applications - but I eventually decided to put psychology/zoology joint honours and rural land management as my two spare choices. Luckily, I wont need either now.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
way to go with all your offers! nice one.
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well done - you have some good offers there! I was originally going to apply for Bio but it was too broad for me as I was more interested in the Zoo side than the Botany side, so I applied for Zoology instead. Best of luck!
Lupin Loopy
Rep:
?
I can't really be the only one applying for biology?!

I'm more confused than ever now though - I had my interview at Manchester on wednesday, and it was brilliant!
The course is by far the best, and it has a great reputation. I'm just unsure about living in Manchester. Its so far away (about 5 hours drive (inc. traffic and stops) from where I live), and areas can be quite rough........i really do worry about stupid little things, like not being able to find nice accomodation for the second/third years......
And it just seems so big.....
MUPPET
Report 17 years ago
Iv been doing Biology at Manchester for the past 2 and a half years and its brilliant here!-the course is amazing!
KarmaPoliceman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've applied to study biology. There doesnt seem to be many biologists on these forums everyone seems to be going on to study economics and law.
I'm not sure which to pick as my firm and my insurance from.
Durham ABB
Imperial ABB
Bristol BBB/ABC/AAD (geology/bio joint honors)
Asmidiske
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've applied for Biology/Microbiology and have had five offers and one rejection.

Cambridge (Natural Science)- rejected
Imperial (Microbiology) - ABB
Southampton (Biology) - 280 pts
UEA (Biology with a Year in Europe) - BBC
St Andrews (Biology) - BCC
Kent (Microbiology) - CCC
tweetsy85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am doing a biology degree at the moment (I'm in my first year, although the uni-year finishes next week..!) I chose it for the same reasons you seem to have: keeps options open if your unsure of where life's gonna take you, and also I loved the subject coz it makes use of so many different subjects eg chem, math, bio, physics, english, psychology, geogrpahy, history and even an odd bit of philosophy! if you have any Qs, u can PM or email me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads