The Student Room Group

Psychology or English lit for A Level?

Need to decide whether to do Psychology or English lit for A Level. I've already chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics and I don't know which one of the two to take.
Which one is more respected? Which one is harder? Which one is the more interesting choice? thank youu :smile:
English is more respected, but be warned I am a straight A student and got a U in English, that's not to say everybody does but it is hard and very weird to get into.

It depends if you're really passionate.

Pyschology would be way mroe interesting anyway.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I'd say English Lit- I started out doing Psychology and switched to Lit because it was so flipping boring! But with English it's a lot weirder, especially if you're on AQA. Our teacher told us that national average for the January exam was one mark into the D range, so be prepared for weird exam technique.
It's completely up to you, I don't think any is more/less respected and you are encouraged to choose something that interests you personally. I do English language and literature at degree level but that's because English has always been my favourite subject and I'm rather good at it. I did both psychology and english language and literature at A-level and both were interesting to me so I guess it depends on the individual. Obviously if you enjoy it, it's easier to you naturally :smile: Good luck in whatever you choose, but it has to be your decision, not someone on here's decision. You're the one that has to deal with it.
Reply 4
I do Psych and English (comb. though) and I prefer English by a mile. However, I've always loved the English side of the curriculum at school and wasn't as good at the maths/science side. Psychology does have some scientific elements in it so it depends which you prefer, it's pretty subjective!
Reply 5
I do both english literature and psychology. I personally love both classes, but then i have people in psychology who hate it and people in english literature who also hate it. So it does really depend on the person. Have you looked at the courses in depth and seen exactly what you'll be learning? It may sway your opinion.

Seeing as your doing 2 science subjects and that psychology is classed as a science i would personally choose english literature. It'll be something different and you may end up loving it/finding it as a release from all the technical bits of maths and science.
ENGLISH :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by MariaLoveless
Need to decide whether to do Psychology or English lit for A Level. I've already chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics and I don't know which one of the two to take.
Which one is more respected? Which one is harder? Which one is the more interesting choice? thank youu :smile:

I believe English Lit is more respected, although I found Psychology really hard when I studied it :frown:

From the options that you've already chosen, I would stick with Psychology because it's more science/maths based. For me, English Literature is really enjoyable but it's more subjective.
Obviously English is more respected, but Psychology would be something new and perhaps challenging, as hardly anyone studies it at GCSE.

Ultimately it depends on the person and what they're good at. Having done psycholgy at A level, I wouldn't say it was particularly hard subject - the concepts are relatively easy to understand, but there is huge amount of information to be learnt. I know someone who would you consider a bright student, came out with a D in his psychology.

I suggest you read the course content to see whether it holds any kind of interest to you, and have a chat with people who do English or Psychology, if you're having trouble making a decision. :smile:
As people have said, it is all up to you but personally I prefer English Lit to Psychology :P at AS English Lit was fun!
Reply 10
I do psychology, i would NOT recommend such a rubbish a-level even though i got an A. Its too much work, like 2 a levels in 1, dotn make the mistake of taking it - stick with English Lit a proper a level.
I do both. Don't do Psychology, I beg of you.

It's boring, and there's too much to revise. Lit is much more fun.
Original post by MariaLoveless

I do both Psychology and both English (lit and lang) but i take the two English as seperate A levels. I would advise against psychology, it is interesting at first but i now HATE it. I'm good at it dont get me wrong, but it is so so so so difficult to remember everything! If you are really interested then take Psychology, your other subjects would compliment it but be prepared for alot of work. Then again, English lit is also a mountain of work, so just go with whichever you are more interested in :smile:
Reply 13
i do English lit and psychology a level and both are interesting but it depends on who teaches it and how. i probably wouldn't enjoy English as much if i didn't have a great teacher but it is still good. i do think English literature is more respected but psychology is more interesting and would link with biology a lot as theres a whole unit on biopsych. id say psychology is harder but easier to revise because you can just go through topics whereas english is easier to learn its just mostly based on how you write essays and so you'd need to be skilled in that sense or you'll struggle in exams.

Quick Reply

Latest