Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think bar staff are responsible for the "binge drinking culture" we have nowadays? Last night I had the (dis)pleasure to meet a Conservative MP while I was at work, and because I was selling shots for £1 he accused me of encouraging binge-drinking. He seemed to hold the view that bar-staff are just as responsible for the culture as those who drink, and I was wondering what other people thought.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't blame the bar staff. I blame education system, Labour, parents, peers - all of which give the wrong impression to the people involved.

The bar staff are merely making a living, however, if they were to, for example, say 'go on, have another, look you've hardly drank anything. You can manage it' then obviously they are to blame. I think they have a responsibility to warn people when they're having too much, but in the end it's a person's choice.

ReputationRep:
    The Binge Drinking culture we have i belive is just one way we hide our depression and the government knows this. Why else would they let pubs open 24/7 becuase it takes the heat of them.

ReputationRep:
    What an idiot :rolleyes: (the MP, that is).
    Of course it's not the fault of the bar staff. The only people to blame are the people who drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opiache)
    What an idiot :rolleyes: (the MP, that is).
    Of course it's not the fault of the bar staff. The only people to blame are the people who drink.
    That's what I thought, and I explained to him that I was only doing my job which I need to earn enough to fund my education! He didn't take that too well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    That's what I thought, and I explained to him that I was only doing my job which I need to earn enough to fund my education! He didn't take that too well.
    Haha. I have to say I am a Conservative supporter but he sounds like a real t**t.

ReputationRep:
    Of course its not the bar staff's fault! Does he think that waitresses and chefs are to blame for obesity if they sell people fatty food? Hopefully not...I really hate it when people try to blame others- if you drink too much, thats your fault and no-one else's!!

The licensee has a responsibility to ensure that their staff do not serve those who are drunk.

They also have a responsibility to ensure that their customers leave their premises in a fit state to continue their journey without creating a disturbance within the community.

Responsible licensees' should do their utmost to ensure that their customers are not encouraged to 'binge' drink whilst on their premises and if limiting the availability of cheap drinks or 2 for the price of 1 aids this then this is what they should do.

The licensee risks losing their licence if they do not run their establisments in a responsible manner.

It is the responsibility of the licensee to ensure that their bar staff adhere to their instructions.

The employee is only adhering to their employers rules, so if there is any blame to be directed at bar staff, the buck stops with the licensee! IMO.

ReputationRep:
    True, it certainly isn't the bar staff setting the price of drinks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    The licensee has a responsibility to ensure that their staff do not serve those who are drunk.

They also have a responsibility to ensure that their customers leave their premises in a fit state to continue their journey without creating a disturbance within the community.

Responsible licensees' should do their utmost to ensure that their customers are not encouraged to 'binge' drink whilst on their premises and if limiting the availability of cheap drinks or 2 for the price of 1 aids this then this is what they should do.

The licensee risks losing their licence if they do not run their establisments in a responsible manner.

It is the responsibility of the licensee to ensure that their bar staff adhere to their instructions.

The employee is only adhering to their employers rules, so if there is any blame to be directed at bar staff, the buck stops with the licensee! IMO.
    aye the bar staff are entitled to refuse to serve people, and even confiscate their car keys if they think the customer may be about to drive home.

i think people should be allowed to binge drink and then not be entitled to be treated for any accidents or bad livers that result from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirlooney)
    The Binge Drinking culture we have i belive is just one way we hide our depression and the government knows this. Why else would they let pubs open 24/7 becuase it takes the heat of them.
    first offender given neg rep for 24 hour drinking.

I'd argue that its not the fault of the individual barstaff, but of course clubs and bars have a responsibility when it comes to binge drinking. It's against the law to serve someone who is visibly drunk, and multibuy promotions clearly encourage people to buy more. What no-one mentions when criticising the new licensing laws is the onus it places on the individual licensed premises to sell alcohol responsibly. With the added freedom these places get comes responsibility.

The comments that extended opening only propels binge drinking are ridiculous and baseless, as licensing authorities and the police are given greater powers to police and regulate the sale of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

spot on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemgeek)
    aye the bar staff are entitled to refuse to serve people, and even confiscate their car keys if they think the customer may be about to drive home.
    Bar staff are compelled not to serve people if they believe they cannot get home safely. That is the law. So, if the bar staff believe someone is driving, they shouldn't, for instance, serve them more than two pints without assurance that they aren't going to drive home. If someone plans on walking home, they shouldn't get them so smashed that they can't control their own behaviour.

However, we don't have the right to confiscate keys, an act which more likely to provoke a violent situation than anything else. If a customer decides to drive home it is their choice.

ReputationRep:
    Really, so what if people binge drink? It's their body, so it's their right.

What's the solution to binge drinking anyhow? Ban excessive consumption of alcohol? Ban alcohol altogether?! It would be better to voluntarily educate people as to the ramifications of binge drinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemgeek)

i think people should be allowed to binge drink and then not be entitled to be treated for any accidents or bad livers that result from it.
    But how could you prove that someone had had an accident purely because of alcohol? Doesn't bad luck or bad genes come into it at all? If someone's been knocked down by a car when they're drunk, who can say that bad driving didn't also play a part? It's going to be quite difficult to say that alcohol is the sole cause of an accident and refuse someone treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    Really, so what if people binge drink? It's their body, so it's their right.
    It's also their right to then be treated in hospital for what they do to themselves. Their right to receive new organs when they mess up their own (perhaps at the expense of someone who has a medical condition). Their right to cause damage whilst under the influence of the drink. Their right to drink drive...?

ReputationRep:
    Binge drinking is not a right, and if you believe that it is, then that shows what consideration you have for other people. None.

Its a difficult one to place the blaim, because its not one person fault, its a combination of everyone involved, whether it be parents, government, bar staff, education programs etc.

I more prone to blaim the government, because they are the ones who regulate the laws, and arent really doing anything about Britiains MASSIVE drinking problem. I see anti-smoking stuff everywhere, but no anti-drinking campaign. Where is it i ask you? There should be one. Im not saying alcohol should be illegal, but there should be discouragement from drinking, just as there is for smoking. But sadly its the other way around, the government allows (isnt stopping them) companies to make adverts with sex appeal, and when you combine sex appeal with alcohol, of course its going to encourage binge drinking.

Sex appeal works very well in advertising, but just like the British public with their booze, they are abusing it.

ReputationRep:
    Stransky, are you from the UK, because you don't seem to have a clue...

what makes people drink more in the UK is not cheesy sexy adverts, but a mixture of clever branding and discounting. People are more likely to drink where their favourite drink is cheap, and drink a drink because it is well marketed. You very rarely see lager marketed with sexy advertising (Boddingtons being the one exception), but more with blokey stunts (WKD) or simple demographics (Tia Maria, marketing alcopops at the right audience). Sex appeal rarely comes into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    first offender given neg rep for 24 hour drinking.

I'd argue that its not the fault of the individual barstaff, but of course clubs and bars have a responsibility when it comes to binge drinking. It's against the law to serve someone who is visibly drunk, and multibuy promotions clearly encourage people to buy more. What no-one mentions when criticising the new licensing laws is the onus it places on the individual licensed premises to sell alcohol responsibly. With the added freedom these places get comes responsibility.

The comments that extended opening only propels binge drinking are ridiculous and baseless, as licensing authorities and the police are given greater powers to police and regulate the sale of alcohol.
    please explain for the neg rep ? i was only putting my point across...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirlooney)
    please explain for the neg rep ? i was only putting my point across...
    sorry I should have warned people first.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...67&postcount=6

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.