Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwannie)
    perry barr is safe if you dont walk around alone at night! im in oscott gardens at the moment, and everyone is really nice. i even walked to the library at 7am in the morning last week to do a last minute piece of coursework >.<...and walking back on my own at 9pm...its not that dangerous.
    hi, i will be comin 2 oscott gardens in sept

ReputationRep:
    just out of intrest, what campus did the murder happen??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazcorbett)
    just out of intrest, what campus did the murder happen??
    main perry barr campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    main perry barr campus.
    OH MY GOD. D murder happened in perry barr. wht happened?. cos am rily scared of comin dere in 2 weeks time lolz.

ReputationRep:
    What murder?, when?, .To be honest with all of you new students about to start at Perry Barr, can I reassure you that this type of thing doesnt happen very often ( as you can see I wasnt aware of it at all), dont worry, come to UCE and enjoy yourself, not too much though, lol, dont forget your studies!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkky)
    OH MY GOD. D murder happened in perry barr. wht happened?. cos am rily scared of comin dere in 2 weeks time lolz.
    yeh its happened once, and its only coz it was on campus it got all WAHWAH!! (sorry couldnt think of a better way) it really does not happen a lot at all, UCE students are really safe. A friend of mine came from Brecon to UCE and once she'd gotten over the litle welsh town to Big birmingham shock she loves it and doesn't feel scared or threatened by it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh its happened once, and its only coz it was on campus it got all WAHWAH!! (sorry couldnt think of a better way) it really does not happen a lot at all, UCE students are really safe. A friend of mine came from Brecon to UCE and once she'd gotten over the litle welsh town to Big birmingham shock she loves it and doesn't feel scared or threatened by it at all.
    ok. thks @ Annie72 n mtbab

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wanted to say as a born and bred brum,its not that bad, so dont panic. There are some rough parts ( as with most places) which you will quickly learn to not go sight seeing around and the night life is fab

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the murder a boyfriend killing his girlfriend ? Therefore it wasn't gang related.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henniebogan2000)
    Wasn't the murder a boyfriend killing his girlfriend ? Therefore it wasn't gang related.....
    yeh it was totally internal domestic nothing gang related at all.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, that could have happened ANYWHERE !! Perry Barr isn't the nicest of places but hey, you make the experiance what it is.

ReputationRep:
    My Uncle has worked in a facotry right opposite the university for over 20 years and he has never encountered any problems. I worked over there for a couple of weeks and its just like any other area in a city, I never had any problems while I was there either. The area itself is a bit run down but the campus is the complete polar opposite of it. What major cities dont have these problems mentioned anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Perry Barr is far from being the best part of Birmingham, in fact it is one of the worse, along with Handsworth/Lozells/Aston etc but it's really not as bad as people say. The murder was a domestic incident and most of the other trouble is gang related. Yes people may get mugged every now and then but this happens everywhere thats an inner city suburb. One of my friends got mugged a few months back on Oscott Road (The road leading from the Uni to the Oscott Gardens Accommodation) but myself, her and many others have walked up there hundreds of times and around Perry Barr and it is safe. With the main bit of Perry Barr (Where the Uni campus/One Stop Center) is it's more like a City/Town center than a suburb which means it's even safer than the suburban parts. Really, don't worry, it's just hype.

ReputationRep:
    UCE murder - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ds/5349376.stm

The thing is with any uni you hope to go to at least visit it and check out what the area will be like where you may be living. I have met many UCE students from Northants, Huntington etc all these posh places and they are really shocked when they get their laptop stolen in a rented house in Lozells!

What are you people thinking? Of course its a rough area, probably best to get accommodation in a safer area and don't walk alone at night or alone under the subway.

ReputationRep:
    most places have pros and cons. Perry Barr isn't that bad, i can think of far worse places to be.

ReputationRep:
    the security cameras can now watch you walk from either of the accommodation services to and where around uni including oscott road. I feel really safe here, im sure that someone has been murdered in your hometown in the past 20 years, whats the big deal ?

ReputationRep:
    Murder!!! By A Phd Student

ReputationRep:
    make friends and everything will be fine, aslong as your a cool person no one would even lay a finger on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barcardi_uk)
    make friends and everything will be fine, aslong as your a cool person no one would even lay a finger on you
    I think they're talking about the area rather than the Uni, being as it's in Perry Barr..

ReputationRep:
    I live in birmingham but in the nicer parts but as my boyf lives in perry bar i know the area. The chances are that if you were to go UCE nothing would happen to you in the 3 years their but there are much nicer places to live! It can be annoying when you get the men in cars shouting and they usually stop the car and try to talk to you and I personally would like to go get books at any time of day/night so I would be put off. As I know the area I wouldn't live their as I would constantly be pissed off!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.