Turn on thread page Beta

I starve myself and my BMI is 14.9 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks.
    There is more but i dont want to give away who i am.
    I understand and didn't mean to imply that you should reveal more here. Apologies if it seemed that way. Those are the things you talk to a professional about where it will stay confidential. My concern was that you at least take the advice to get help from people who understand what you are going through.

I don't follow the relationship between depression and deliberately starving. Also 'being made to feel' kind of suggests you take no ownership of your actions. Like if people didn't make force you feel cr*p, you wouldn't be 'forced' to starve. Well no one's forcing you to do it, and if you know it's bad for you, which it clearly is, then why keep punishing yourself? It's like someone bullies you and you think you deserve it so you physically punish yourself as well as mentally... isn't the mental punishment enough? Does starvation really take your mind off of your depression??

I'd think about going to the GP for a referral to a nutritionist, as well as, and possibly more importantly, a counsellor/clinical psychologist.
    I get emotional and angry and want to hurt myself but its not a form of punishment to myself.

There is much more which Ive not mentioned but I dont want people to find out.

(Original post by Formica)
    While my BMI is not as low as the OP, I am clearly underweight and have a similar reaction to bad situations. It's only in the last couple of weeks that I've restarted eating after a period of starvation, eating either very little food or no food at all for most days during that time. I don't want to be thin, I hate it. It makes me look diseased.
    If you dont mind, what makes you starve yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilkyC)
    Is this a joke or troll? A BMI of 14.9 is like a stickman.
    Not heard of anorexia? I work in an Eating Disorders Service and have seen people with a BMI LESS than 10. A BMI of 14.9 does make the op rather poorly, and she should probably go and see a doctor ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aozora)
    17.5 (i think) is the bmi needed to be diagnosed with anorexia/put in hospital. I suggest you put some weight on if you don't have anorexia and if you do seek medical help.
    You couldnt be more wrong, people with a BMI of 20 can be diagnosed with anorexia.
    If someone has come down from a BMI of 40 to a BMI of 20 within a few months due to starving, they may be classed as anorexic.

These days the whole picture is taken into account, you dont 'need' to be a certain BMI or tick every single box in the DSM. I work with people who have been on a weight restoration programme and now have a BMI of 19, and are still extremely anorexic in their thoughts and behaviours, the only thing is they manage to eat.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont mind, what makes you starve yourself?
    It's something I don't fully understand myself. I think I just lose the will, I just don't see the point in eating. It feels irrelevant, because my life feels irrelevant. There's a desire to starve myself at the time - it feels appropriate to align myself with the sick and destroyed state in that way.

EDIT: Just thought I should add that I'm feeling a lot better now! I had two meals today. I've been trying for three meals the past week, and I think I can reach that soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polly1101)
    Not heard of anorexia? I work in an Eating Disorders Service and have seen people with a BMI LESS than 10. A BMI of 14.9 does make the op rather poorly, and she should probably go and see a doctor ASAP.
    Funnily enough I have heard of anorexia. Perhaps it was the way the OP wrote 14.9 so nonchalantly that had me confused. I mean you should be aware that you're unhealthy at her BMI...

ReputationRep:
    go see ur gp

ReputationRep:
    Happy? how?

It's not anorexia because i know i am thin. I starve myself whenever im hurt. I dont know if people who cut themselves can relate to this?
    You will feel better to eat, have more energy, and should feel less stressful.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Underweight is under 18.5. Ideally, you shouldn't be far off there. The people going "you need to see a doctor you're way too thin" aren't right, you are unhealthily underweight, but you're by no means in a position to panic about your current weight. I think it's best to get help from someone who's suited to dealing with your problem, proper helpful psychologists. =P

ReputationRep:
    14.9 sucks, you are only #1 if your BMI is 1. Good luck OP.

ReputationRep:
    I do this, but its rare. I have to be very very upset. I cut out food until i'm feeling better. My BMI is around 14 - 16. Can't remember exactly.
    Otherwise I eat 500 - 1500 calories per day. Anything below 1000 is considered starvation.
    I'm skinny, but love food. I totally understand, but you should see someone. As should I, probably.
    I need to figure out a weight gaining diet, but i'm no good at that sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polly1101)
    You couldnt be more wrong, people with a BMI of 20 can be diagnosed with anorexia.
    If someone has come down from a BMI of 40 to a BMI of 20 within a few months due to starving, they may be classed as anorexic.

These days the whole picture is taken into account, you dont 'need' to be a certain BMI or tick every single box in the DSM. I work with people who have been on a weight restoration programme and now have a BMI of 19, and are still extremely anorexic in their thoughts and behaviours, the only thing is they manage to eat.
    Actually when I was suffering with an eating disorder I was told I couldn't be diagnosed with anorexia till I hit 17.5 bmi so I was diagnosed with EDNOS.

ReputationRep:
    BMI is unreliable: you may have high muscle or bone density; also don't starve yourself http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/10...disappoint.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    how can you assume they are under weight without any weight to hight ratio and measurements been given?
    Well seeing as doctors refer patients to ED units, mainly based on their BMI being very low, I can say so
    Also when my BMI was 15 they started threatening me with IP.
    I'm not saying all admissions are on BMI, but a lot of the time they are.

BMI < 15 means that a person is emaciated which is very dangerous.

Also, BMI includes 2 main factors : height & weight.

ReputationRep:
    Btw OP,

Why don't you try and see a psychiatrist who may be able to help you out and break this bad habit?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressReliever)
    They gave a BMI of 14.9 which indicates being very underweight for ANY given height.
    Not always. Depends on the muscule and bone structure.
    This person could easily be fairly healthy.

Starving yourself for a day isn't really that bas. Try 2 months, then it's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    That's great that you have admitted that, even anonymous it doesn't matter. Acknowledging the problem really is the first step. I myself am underweight though not on purpose, in the past and after illnesses it can plummet very fast to 15. Really I cannot function when it is that low, it's impossible and I got so weak. Being that thin really is going to affect your mood further as your body is struggling, it's a vicious circle. If you don't feel confident enough to go about seeing someone for this, maybe you could confide in a close family member or friend? Not being as alone as you think you are and having support will make the world of difference. I really hope you can go about trying to fix your problem, best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    Happy? how?

It's not anorexia because i know i am thin. I starve myself whenever im hurt. I dont know if people who cut themselves can relate to this?
    A common misconception about AN is that you have to have body dysmorphia. You'd be surprised how many people with anorexia, including myself, aren't fat phobic and don't have any sort of body dysmorphia *cough* until severe malnutrition screws with your perception *cough*
    How has nobody not noticed and made you go to a doctor by now? When my BMI was around 15, they started threatening me with hospital. You need medical help right now and then you can sort out the psychological reasons behind your eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
    Not always. Depends on the muscule and bone structure.
    This person could easily be fairly healthy.

Starving yourself for a day isn't really that bas. Try 2 months, then it's a problem.
    There are very few females over the age of 17 that would naturally have a BMI that low. We are talking a 5ft5 woman weighing not even 6 1/2 stone.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.