Applying to schools Watch

This discussion is closed.
Renaissance_boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hello,

I have applied to 3 schools: Westminster, St Pauls and Latymer.

I did not get into Westminster, and I am not surprised, as I knew I had not; I completely messed up the exams. I was such a fool, I analysed the wrong part of the map for Geography, I did not finish the Chemistry or Biology, and did not know there were more questions on the back page for math. I was distraught for weeks, but I have kinda got over it, because at least I know where I messed up. but still .

I have not taken the exams for St Pauls yet, but am absolutely freaked out about Latymer.

For entry, you had to write a personal statement, get a reference, get predicted GCSE results, and give a school report.

I was told my personal statement was brilliant by a proffesional, and my reference was really good, and I was predicted 6 A*s and 5 A's. My school report was also fantastic.

However, my friend got a call for an interview, and I still haven't. To be fair, he is a great candidate, but he took some of the stuff that I included on my pers0onal statment onto his. That really pisses me off! :mad: I was told that my personal statment was better by a proffesional, we both have similar predicted grades, and both have great references and great reports....so I am so worried. The letter said we would be notified by the end of December, but he has already been notified. To be fair, they do have 600 applicants; should I be worried. Have I probably not got in. After Westminster, where I did not leave my room for one week I was so depressed, I cannot face rejection again.

Any advice, or anything.

Sorry for the lengthy message,

Thanks alot,

Amrou
Icy Ghost
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't worry, there's still hope. When applying for a good sixth form (compared to my old one) with a friend, I had gotton the interview about a week before my friend did, but in the end we both ended up going to the new sixth form.

The school you go to isn't everything, btw. In the end, as long as you get a decent education, and good grades, that's the most important thing

Don't let rejection get you down. Make the most out of what you have already, and don't dwell on things that have already happened.

Hope it all goes well
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The will let you know one way or the other for the interview, just because you haven't heard doesn't mean you don't have one. It probably just means your date is slightly later.
Renaissance_boy
Rep:
?
Thanks

It is just I always dwll on the past. I was distraught after Westminster, because I have wanted to go to that school forever. And then, on the day of the exams, I was not focussed, I was slow, I did not think properly - I don't know, haven't you just had one of those days, where you cannot concentrate in an exam, and you just mess up. Like with chemistry, I drew the wrong graph, drew the wrong atoms, and for geography, looked on teh wrong bloody map! With Math, I could not think straight about the problems, and with biology, I was so stressed I just broked down. Chemistry was the worst thoug, it is my best subject, and the exam was easy, but I just could not focus. Is this normal, or am I the only one this happens to. As soon as I finished those exams, I just went home and cried. Hopefully I will have more luck with the other schools! I am still upset about Westminster, and that was one month ago....

Amrou
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by amrou)
Thanks

It is just I always dwll on the past. I was distraught after Westminster, because I have wanted to go to that school forever. And then, on the day of the exams, I was not focussed, I was slow, I did not think properly - I don't know, haven't you just had one of those days, where you cannot concentrate in an exam, and you just mess up. Like with chemistry, I drew the wrong graph, drew the wrong atoms, and for geography, looked on teh wrong bloody map! With Math, I could not think straight about the problems, and with biology, I was so stressed I just broked down. Chemistry was the worst thoug, it is my best subject, and the exam was easy, but I just could not focus. Is this normal, or am I the only one this happens to. As soon as I finished those exams, I just went home and cried. Hopefully I will have more luck with the other schools! I am still upset about Westminster, and that was one month ago....

Amrou
I did the same with my Cambridge interview, messed up a lot of it because I was worrying about it so much. At least you know the result of the first before the second interviews so can use the experience positively. Good luck!
sa05
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have applied to 3 schools: Westminster, St Pauls and Latymer.
is that latymer in edmonton or latymer in hammersmith? I go to latymer in edmonton n just joined the 6th form if I can help...
Renaissance_boy
Rep:
?
I got invited for interview for Latyumer - I have 5 to attend...any advice. NowI am finally over Westminster; I was talking to some really intellient booys, and apparently they were all declined places. It is about 50 girls who got places, and 3 -6 boys! Thats because Westminster turns co-ed in sixth form, which explains why there are such few boys they accepted. Anyway, I am really excited about these Latymer interviews; I have them in geog, chemistry, english, physics, and with the deputy head. What should I do?

Thanks

Amrou
Renaissance_boy
Rep:
?
Any advice for interviews anyone?

Thanks, from Amrou
ice_dragoness274
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sa05)
is that latymer in edmonton or latymer in hammersmith? I go to latymer in edmonton n just joined the 6th form if I can help...
I'm probably applying to Latymer and Woodhouse College for next year =], but I'm a bit confused about the admissions policy thing- coz I know for Year 7, you have to live in their catchment area (which I was literally like 3 streets out from), so I was wondering if it also applies for sixth form entries =/
Andd also, would I be able to take 5 AS levels and continue 4 of those to A Level? or can you only take a maximum of 4 AS levels..
If you could give me some general information about what the school atmosphere is like and stuff, that would be great ^_^ ... I know a few girls from my old school (Henrietta Barnett) who went there, and they all seemed to love it! It's just that i read on some other thread that someone thought Latymer was "cliquey" and they said its really hard for new sixth formers to fit in - from your/others' experience is this true, especially as you joined for sixth form?
andd finally, do they need any references from your school?
sorry for the overload of questions, its just I'm really interested in considering Latymer properly for sixth form starting '09 =)
Thanks xxx
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (30)
55.56%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (8)
14.81%

Watched Threads