The Student Room Group

There are no jobs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DarkWhite
Why are you so against somebody looking over it? If it's a great CV, then there won't be any suggestions for improvement, but at least you'll have tried.

At the moment, you're just being stubborn, and it's probably part the reason you're not landing a promising interview.

Because I know that my CV is not preventing me from securing a job. There's no point in trying, I've had the CV done by a professional body and even had it tweaked by advisors at St Helens College who run workshops.

It's definately not my CV.
Reply 21
Original post by Martyn*
Before I moved back here I was living in Liverpool and could find a job quite easy. My friend is the ex-mayor of St Helens and he said it was a mistake coming back. It's one of the worse town in the NW for unemployment and lack of jobs, according to him. Should I move?

Maybe. I've lived in a number of places before and could not settle. I'm quite settled here but there are no jobs. The last job I got here was just pure luck.

Give it a go if you can, if you're not ready you could try commuting.
Reply 22
TSR life lessons here people.

if you have neg rep then you are unemployable.
Reply 23
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
do 2 16 hour jobs?

its easy to blame your own misfortune on others.

You can't be in two places at once. You can do a 16 hour job but the other 16 hour job must not overlap. Most 16 hour jobs are cleaning jobs (some are pub jobs) and most cleaning jobs run in the morning spread over 5 to 7 days. Most pub jobs I've seen run on a night spread over 5 to 7 days so taking another pub job doing the same shift pattern would not be possible. Of course, I could do a pub job at night and a cleaning job in the morning. But then what are the chances when there are 10 or more people applying for every job?

And, btw, applying for a job does not mean you've got an interview, and getting an interview doesn't mean you've got the job. Some people tend to forget that.
Reply 24
I do agree with this guy, I'm from St Helens and there is bugger all around. Moving to Uni in September though so hopefully I will be able to get a p/t job then haha

OP, I heard there is a job going at Halfords in town if you want to look into it?
Original post by Martyn*
This is the second longest period in my life that I've been unemployed; the first time was during the Thatcher/Major years. You young-uns won't remember those horrific times.

I've been doing all kinds of things to get work, sent-off my CV to a number of companies, applied for cleaning jobs, bar jobs, etc, and even went back to college to learn something new.

But still cannot find a job. No point in taking a 10 hour job or even a 16 hour job. Those cleaning jobs never go over the 16 hour mark. And at this period even cleaning jobs seem to be scarce. The criteria for applying for cleaning jobs has changed. Driving licence, CRB check, experience required, buffing experience required, bubbly personality (I kid you not!). This is just to clean an office. And the last cleaning job I applied for was 3 months ago and the employer had to whittle down the number of applicants.

There are a lot of managerial jobs on offer. But I can't do those. I've tried and applied for one of these and got a reply stating that I shouldn't be applying for jobs I can't do. Well, the Job Centre said I should apply for these jobs regardless and not put myself down.

Last month a few shops opened up in the town centre. They didn't employ anyone from my town; they transfered staff from one branch to this one. This annoyed me because a couple of months before the store opened I uploaded my CV on to their website thinking I would be one of the first people they'd snap-up. Turns out they just transfered their staff. And now they have laid-off staff and they say they can't afford to take people on.

In the town centre I notice that many stores are not taking staff on. I notice that there is only ever one or two people on the tills despite the long queues. Readers of the local newspapers wrote in complaining about having to queue everywhere they shop now in town. Employers are just not taking on. They have to maximise their profits and keep staff to a bare minimum.

Having just done a job search on the directgov website I have to say that I have never seen this much lack of jobs that I can do. Any jobs I think I can do are just not applicable for me, whether it be the hours or simply that I don't have a driving licence or previous experience in the role.

Tbh mate, what I would do is look at the supermarkets. The supermarket market is one of the few which is currently booming. At the sainsbury's where i'm working they took on 9 new people at once the other day.

So yeah take a look at sainsbury's, tesco's, waitrose, etc
Original post by Martyn*

Original post by Martyn*

Thanks for the neg rep :rolleyes:

Maybe accept one of these "no point doing it" jobs, who knows might free you up financially a little so you can start learning to drive.
Reply 27
Original post by amsie/
Give it a go if you can, if you're not ready you could try commuting.

I'm not entirely sure if that is helpful. Are employers realy going to employ someone who lives 10 miles away over someone who lives 5 miles away or who lives local?
Original post by Martyn*

Original post by Martyn*
Of course, I could do a pub job at night and a cleaning job in the morning. But then what are the chances when there are 10 or more people applying for every job?

Your chances greatly increase when you actually bother to apply...
Reply 29
Original post by Stray_talk
Thanks for the neg rep :rolleyes:

Maybe accept one of these "no point doing it" jobs, who knows might free you up financially a little so you can start learning to drive.

Heh? I never negged you.
Original post by Martyn*

Original post by Martyn*
Heh? I never negged you.

Yes you did mate, I can see who reps me.
Reply 31
Your chances greatly increase when you actually bother to apply...

You're saying that I don't bother to apply. You're a cretin.
Reply 32
Yes you did mate, I can see who reps me.

Well it must have been a mistake; meant for someone else.
Reply 33
Original post by Martyn*
I'm not entirely sure if that is helpful. Are employers realy going to employ someone who lives 10 miles away over someone who lives 5 miles away or who lives local?

I don't think that would be a big deal, my sister commutes 30 mins by train every day. As long as you're reliable you should be fine. :smile: It might not be a sure shot but it's worth a try if you can't find anything local.
Original post by Martyn*

Original post by Martyn*
You're saying that I don't bother to apply. You're a cretin.

From previous posts you seem to imply if you can't see the point you don't bother, apologies if that's not the case.
Anyway, you ignore a point I made earlier about accepting a 16 hour job to free yourself up financially.

And insulting people is definitely the way forward.
Reply 35
Original post by thecookiemonster
Tbh mate, what I would do is look at the supermarkets. The supermarket market is one of the few which is currently booming. At the sainsbury's where i'm working they took on 9 new people at once the other day.

So yeah take a look at sainsbury's, tesco's, waitrose, etc

Not in this town it aint. The local Asda store never took on Christmas last year. They always take on at Christmas but not the year just gone. The new Iceland store relocated staff from another store outside of the town. Morrissons are also not taking on staff, and I've been asking them for a while now. The local co-op took one person on last year and the've let two people go recently. They're not taking on and the queuing at the tills is often ridiculous.
Reply 36
From previous posts you seem to imply if you can't see the point you don't bother, apologies if that's not the case.
Anyway, you ignore a point I made earlier about accepting a 16 hour job to free yourself up financially.

And insulting people is definitely the way forward.

I apply because I'm told to; otherwise I would not bother. I would not take a job less than 30 hours a week because I could stand to lose my home if I did. So I apply for those 16 hour jobs and still can't get to the interview stage. Taking a 16hour job is going to make worse off not better off.
Original post by Martyn*

I cant imagine the distance from home to work would matter, so long as you can get to work each day on time. It cant hurt to try!:tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by amsie/
I don't think that would be a big deal, my sister commutes 30 mins by train every day. As long as you're reliable you should be fine. :smile: It might not be a sure shot but it's worth a try if you can't find anything local.

I'll give it a try but I am sceptical.
Reply 39
Original post by Cornish student
I cant imagine the distance from home to work would matter, so long as you can get to work each day on time. It cant hurt to try!:tongue:

I know some employers won't take on people without some form of personal transport. In my experience, whenever you have to state how you will get to work, and say "by bus", you can often tell that the employer has lost interest because they'll assume that you may be unreliable (i.e. because buses are unreliable), especialy so if the employer is looking for someone preferably with a driving licence in the first place.

Anyway, that is the impression I get from some employers.

Quick Reply