Dual Controls Watch

PinkPigeon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey, I was wondering, to take a test in your car, does the car need to have dual controls? I want to take my test in my own car as that's what I've learnt in but somebody said to me that for the test, the car you use must have dual controls? :confused:
Thanks!
OMGWTF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As long as your insured, have L Plates, working lights and mirrors. You can use it
Arminius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think you need to provide an extra mirror for the examiner, it sticks onto the windscreen.

As far as i know you don't need dual controls.
thomasp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
From what I remember reading on the back of the letter I got from the DSA, you don't need dual controls.

Although you do need an adjustable headrest on the passenger's side, a fully functioning seatbelt on the passenger's side, extra mirrors for the examiner and L-plates.

And, you MUST tell your insurance company that your car is being used on a driving test, since someone else other than a named driver will be "in control" of the car (ie: the examiner, since you are on a provisional license)
recneps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah - thomasp is right i think. YOu need 2 extra mirrors i beleive - one so that the examiner can see your eyes, and the other so that he/she can see the road behind.

However, some cars such as the new yaris are unsuitable because the passenger cannot see the speedo. For an instructor it is worth having a second speedo fitted, but obviously this isnt worth the expense and trouble just for a test.

You don't need dual controls.
davedave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I took mine in my own car. You just have to sign something before to say it's insured and MOTed etc (I think you have to do this even if you use your instructors car?). I had an extra mirror that sticks on the windscreen with one of those sucky things. I think it is required. I had it anyway though because I learned to drive in my car with my dad.

"And, you MUST tell your insurance company that your car is being used on a driving test, since someone else other than a named driver will be "in control" of the car (ie: the examiner, since you are on a provisional license)"

I don't think the person supervising your driving (the examiner in the case of the test) has to be insured on the car.
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/FAQ.asp?id=12721&cat=31 mentions only that the learner must be insured.

I'd check your insurance policy anyway though to make sure it doesn't specifically disallow driving tests or anything like that.

Good luck on your test when you take it :top:

--------------

(Original post by recneps)
Yeah - thomasp is right i think. YOu need 2 extra mirrors i beleive - one so that the examiner can see your eyes, and the other so that he/she can see the road behind.

However, some cars such as the new yaris are unsuitable because the passenger cannot see the speedo. For an instructor it is worth having a second speedo fitted, but obviously this isnt worth the expense and trouble just for a test.

You don't need dual controls.
I only had one extra mirror. It was a year ago though.
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think the person supervising your driving (the examiner in the case of the test) has to be insured on the car.
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/FAQ.asp?id=12721&cat=31 mentions only that the learner must be insured.
You've got to tell your insurer that you, the person without a full lisence, is being looked over by someone else who isn't on the policy
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by davedave)
"And, you MUST tell your insurance company that your car is being used on a driving test, since someone else other than a named driver will be "in control" of the car (ie: the examiner, since you are on a provisional license)"

You just tell your insurance company that you're using your car on a test, and that covers the examiner for being in control of your car (since when you're a learner, for some reason you're insurance company thinks you're not the only person in control of the car)
PinkPigeon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks- thats a relief, I've done all my learning in my Ka, didn't want to have to change just for the test- I've already got extra mirrors, as I have been learning in it.
Thanks again.
JayD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did my test in my own Ford Ka. Lovely little cars, I hated my instructors clunky diesel clio. All you need is 1x extra mirror, working lights, headrest, seatbelt, clean windscreens, L plates and FULLY COMP insurance. Good luck.
jono1978
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hi,

I'm a driving instructor with BSM, I checked this on sataurday for one of my pupils. You do not need dual controls at the moment, although there are plans to introduce it in the future. You need L plates both front and back and need only one mirror, to be honest if you don't have a mirror the examiners have spares. I would advise you to check that all the lights, indicators are working and the tyres have good tread and no visible cuts/bulges. You're probably aware that you have to answer vehicle safety questions now at the start of your test, if a light is out or bad tyres then the test will be cancelled by the examiner and you'll lose your fee.

Hope this helps.

John
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
although there are plans to introduce it in the future
Stupid stupid stupid plans
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This tells you what you need, and it says you do need a mirror.
jono1978
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes you do need a mirror but if you dont have one its not a problem, I see many arrive for test with no mirror, the examiner will have a spare.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
30.77%
No - I got the required grades (29)
55.77%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
13.46%

Watched Threads