Imran Khan appointed as Chancellor of the University of Bradford Watch

Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
The University of Bradford has appointed a new Chancellor.

Imran Khan will succeed Baroness Betty Lockwood on her retirement on 31 July 2005 as the University's fifth Chancellor since its foundation in 1966.

Chair of Council, Martin Bousfield said, "We are delighted that such an internationally renowned figure has agreed to be our next Chancellor. The University is looking forward with great pleasure to welcoming him at his installation later this year and to the contribution that he will make when in office".

Professor Chris Taylor, Vice-Chancellor at Bradford also welcomed the appointment and said: "Through his achievements and endeavours Imran Khan embodies the interest and style of the University and continues a Bradford tradition of distinguished Chancellors. He will be a role model for young people in the University and City, he will strengthen our links with South Asia and he will be a valuable bridge between east and west."

The University of Bradford's first Chancellor was Harold Wilson who, despite his commitments as Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition for many of the years he was Chancellor, was extremely generous with his time.

Imran Khan was born in 1952 in Lahore, Pakistan. He was educated at Aitchison College, Lahore where he proved to be a fine cricketer and made his first class test debut for Lahore against Sarghodha at the age of sixteen. He was selected to play for the Pakistan cricket team in 1970 and very soon made a permanent place for himself in the national side. He finished his high school education at Royal Grammar School at Worcester in England where he excelled in cricket. He went on to study Economics and Politics at Keble College, Oxford in 1972, where former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Benazir Bhutto, was his classmate. He was elected captain of Oxford's cricket team in 1974 but gave up the captaincy in 1975 to concentrate on final exams.

During the seventies he became a leading all rounder in the world and was rewarded with the Pakistan captaincy in 1981. He was declared international cricketer of the year in 1989-90 and led Pakistan to numerous victories all over the world, finally clinching the World Cup in 1992.

He retired from cricket in 1992, and moved into Pakistani politics in 1996, launching the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI; in English the Pakistani Justice Movement).

In 1996 he opened the Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust (SKMT) Cancer Hospital in memory of his mother who had suffered from the disease. Today SKMT is one of the leading institutions for free cancer treatment in the world and has received international recognition.

Imran is amongst a number of actors, artists, singers and sports figures who donate their talents to advocate for children on behalf of UNICEF as Special Representatives. He has used his international profile in cricket to support health and immunization programmes in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

The UN has designated 2005 as the International Year of Sport and Physical Education to highlight the power of sport to bridge cultural and ethnic divides and improve people's lives.

Notes to Editors
The role of Chancellor
The Chancellor's role is an important one for universities. A Chancellor not only acts as a figurehead for the University's activities but is also chosen as an individual who will appeal to, and provide a role model for, the various constituencies the University serves, including most obviously its students and its local, national and international stakeholders. Formally, the Chancellor's role under the University's Charter and Statutes is to confer degrees of the University at Congregations which are held twice a year, over three days in July and two days in December.
Source

Another addition to a glittering CV. He recently came over to officially take charge.
Mr Brightside
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Who cares?
Aristogeiton
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:rofl:

damn....why didn't I apply there!
sim90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Woodsy)
Who cares?
:eek: he is one of the legends of cricket...........
:mad:
spamking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sim90)
:eek: he is one of the legends of cricket...........
:mad:
SOOOOOOOOOOOO
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm glad my university has a proper chancellor, not some cricket player!
Indus1986
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What is a proper chancellor?
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I heard Bradfords s*** with all the racial tension between muslims and whites
Socrates
Rep:
?
(Original post by nikk)
I'm glad my university has a proper chancellor, not some cricket player!
cricket player turned politician....who happens to have studied at Oxford too
Aristogeiton
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Akhoza: yes, it has a very high non-white population. It also has quite a strong BNP presence though.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
What he study Islamic studies???? :confused:
Socrates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Akhoza)
Economics and Politics I believe.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Economics and Politics I believe.
Interesting combo for a cricket player
Indus1986
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Interesting combo for a cricket player
James woods the actor studied political science at MIT. Interesting combo for an actor too.
Multiplexed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not just a cricket player, a big politician aswell...

I met him when he came to my Uncle's car and he's a pretty nice guy, he's opened severals of hospitals for the poor people in Pakistan.
PapeeChumo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it's more about wht he can bring to the uni? not wht he can do on a cricket pitch and not about how he can voice his opinions
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A good choice I'd say. He's an oxford graduate not just a cricket player by the way.
Scipio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Perhaps read the post before making stupid comments?
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
OK a cricketer who can lie very well...wonderful.
Indus1986
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
OK a cricketer who can lie very well...wonderful.
Good politician then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads