Turn on thread page Beta

Funk Buddies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by segat1)
    Greg, whether or not you agree with it, it does work for some people. You know my thoughts. It doesnt work for you and in all the cases you have seen it happen, it didn't work. But for some of us it does. Whether you approve or not is beside the point. Don't get narky at others becuase they don't subscribe to your sex is emotional/physical theory - you're not gonna change our thinking. Its great you feel this way, but I, for one, am able to remove the emotional part, because sometimes, when I don't have a partner, I fancy getting laid. If it makes me a slut, so be it.
    I don't expect you to change your mind, but don't expect me to change mine either. It seems that because I don't think having a fu*k buddy is a good idea I'm all of a sudden being more judgemental than people who do. The truth is we are just as judgemental about each other - you think that my idea is wrong, so you have made a judgement on it, just as I have made a judgement on your idea.

--------------

(Original post by Objet trouvé)
    But we are animals. Any delusion involving civilised behaviour is simply a human construct. You have to accept that some people have impulses and act accordingly; there is an inherent need to reproduce. Well done to you for getting past all that and occupying the moral high ground, but there are people out there who give in to them and should be able to do it without having to suffer a multitude of superior moralistic condemnations from those who don't.
    So that would make rape okay then? What a load of nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morningtheft)
    Great, don't have casual sex then. And other people can do what they want to do. A perfect solution for everyone involved!
    I'm very sorry if I thought this thread was asking for people's opinions and discussion on this subject, obviously I was misinformed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what rape has to do with it. It's all very well to presume that all human beings should act in a moral and civilised way, but it obviously is not always the case. I was merely pointing out that your assertion that humans are in someway exempt from animal impulses is a specious point. Suffice to say that an inherent need to reproduce is a reason, but not a justification. I would never dream of justifying rape on such terms, nor am I so much advocating free love as I am advocating the freedom to go about it without the moral condemnation of others. The problem with attempting to apply a uniform moral code to certain actions is that it completely disregards a myriad of possible human impulses and reactions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laursy)
    god i may as well just sew myself up and say nope i am single sorry im not havinf sex,

yeah right, bit of rough and tumble,slap and tickle never harmd none, well never harmed me,
    god some people are really against having a life and some fun!!
    As I said before, if your definition of "having a life and some fun" is not complete without sex, it's a fairly sad life.

Are you aware of punctuation other than endless commas and exclamation marks?

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that using spelling and grammar correction in a condescending manner does nothing to address the real issue or decrease the validity of a point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    My point exactly. Which is why we are different from animals, we can ascribe value judgements to things.

Well, it maybe rationality does play a part, but to me it just makes me wonder even more about casual sex (and I am not religious by the way). We are in a society were sexual health is poor and getting worse especially amongst women and young people. Surely a lax attitude towards sexual relations can only make this situation worse?
    If you are not religous, where do your much vaunted value judgements come from anyway? If they are just that which either your or society has invented then why the hell should anyone obey them? Social stability is the answer, but that makes social stability the overriding principle and not the value judgement. If having lots of sex that is safe, and does not spread STDs then who is to say that it is wrong to be promiscuous? In my opinion sexual helath is at heart another rational decision but just becuase there is the risk of becoming infected does not mean the actual act is sinful in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that using spelling and grammar correction in a condescending manner does nothing to address the real issue or decrease the validity of a point?
    I disagree.
    Although Helenia had already addressed the point and as such was just taking the mickey too...

--------------

(Original post by ferrus)
    If you are not religous, where do your much vaunted value judgements come from anyway? If they are just that which either your or society has invented then why the hell should anyone obey them? Social stability is the answer, but that makes social stability the overriding principle and not the value judgement. If having lots of sex that is safe, and does not spread STDs then who is to say that it is wrong to be promiscuous? In my opinion sexual helath is at heart another rational decision but just becuase there is the risk of becoming infected does not mean the actual act is sinful in anyway.
    You see, I'm not religious, but neither do I agree with f*** buddies or one night stands. I think they're distasteful and childish. I couldn't say why I think this, but it is how I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the people who are so opposed to casual sex are the ones who are having trouble getting any action!

I am joking. I accept that you have principles, provided they are not forced on others. Whether you disagree with it or not, surely it is accepted that people should be free to do what they want without a lecture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    I think they're distasteful and childish.
    You may find them so and that they may well be. Does that make the wrong however?

ReputationRep:
    No! Provided those involved are two consenting adults with sufficient maturity to realise that it's a lay, and that's all.

ReputationRep:
    does nothing ... [to] decrease the validity of a point?
    That it does not but in any debate the cogency of the argument will be impacted by such factors

ReputationRep:
    You may find them so and that they may well be. Does that make the wrong however?
    I think that people who indulge in them would look back on them with regret in later life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    I think that people who indulge in them would look back on them with regret in later life.
    Possibly they may, but then again they may not. Who is anyone person to stand from an ivory tower and declare they will regret it, when they are individuals with their own motivation in life, their own weltenschaung and prehaps a specific devotion to nihlism and hedonism? Personally one-night stands and such activities wouldn't fulfill me and I see them as somewhat distasteful. I'm willing to accept others may not however. Regardless, you have not declared it immoral have you?

The only way I can see anyone justified in this subjective existence is if they were able to use the divine as justification - which I consider impossible personally, but this is a bigger issue.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly they may, but then again they may not. Who is anyone person to stand from an ivory tower and declare they will regret it, when they are individuals with their own motivation in life, their own weltenschaung and prehaps a specific devotion to nihlism and hedonism? Personally one-night stands and such activities wouldn't fulfill me and I see them as somewhat distasteful. I'm willing to accept others may not however. Regardless, you have not declared it immoral have you?

The only way I can see anyone justified in this subjective existence is if they were able to use the divine as justification - which I consider impossible personally, but this is a bigger issue.
    Morals are an individual judgment, and so I could not say it was immoral.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely, so when you say you do not "agree" with them, you are in fact stating they are what you would not partake in. It may seem pedantic but when one says you "agree" on an issue it is usually associated with the support for the enactment of constraints on others and a fundamental moral judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    I was talking to my mother about this on the phone the other night. She said she had one night stands at university and found them "soul destroying", but doesn't regret them because they teach you something about life, about men, and that's generally what university life is all about.

--------------

Precisely, so when you say you do not "agree" with them, you are in fact stating they are what you would not partake in. It may seem pedantic but when one says you "agree" on an issue it is usually associated with the support for the enactment of constraints on others and a fundamental moral judgement.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Which is why I made my main point first, rather than just being pedantic. I find it much harder to take points seriously when they are expressed "omg ur sad and not having any fun!!lol"

I am joking. I accept that you have principles, provided they are not forced on others. Whether you disagree with it or not, surely it is accepted that people should be free to do what they want without a lecture?
    In some cases I think that trying to impose (or at least get people to realise) my point of view is not such a bad idea. I had a friend who had one of these "special friends." However, he was constantly pestering her for more than she was willing to give, he'd want to go out with her, but then when she agreed to that he was so horrible to her that she split up again, only for them to end up doing stuff again a week later because neither had any willpower. So I told her I thought it was a bad idea, that it wasn't doing her or him any good, and that she'd be better off without him, because he was destroying her self-esteem.

She said "But if I don't go with him, who will I go with? It's better than being single." I beg to differ. Was I wrong to try and help out my friend by telling her I thought she would be better off not doing what she currently was?

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to my mother about this on the phone the other night. She said she had one night stands at university and found them "soul destroying", but doesn't regret them because they teach you something about life, about men, and that's generally what university life is all about.
    I suppose then, that they're only justifiable to people who need that lesson?

ReputationRep:
    It's not for me to say whether or not they are justifiable. I just feel people should have the right to have one night stands without being lectured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    I suppose then, that they're only justifiable to people who need that lesson?
    At the end of the day you have said morality is a personal thing. Therefore I would assume the natural conclusion is that they are justified to those who believe them to be so?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.