This discussion is closed.
Custard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Don't you think suicide is selfish, how ever bad you are feelings your loved ones are going to suffer 10x as bad. I make acception if you have awful serious illnesses and your family are finding it hard to cope. I think that should be mad legal.
I mean thinks can be made better over time and all that. Why do people do it? It breaks my heart to that good charlotte video, all those people who have lost their friends and family, i think that worse one is when the boy tells about losing his father to suicide and he wonders what he'd be like if he was still around.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Custard)
Don't you think suicide is selfish, how ever bad you are feelings your loved ones are going to suffer 10x as bad. I make acception if you have awful serious illnesses and your family are finding it hard to cope. I think that should be mad legal.
I mean thinks can be made better over time and all that. Why do people do it? It breaks my heart to that good charlotte video, all those people who have lost their friends and family, i think that worse one is when the boy tells about losing his father to suicide and he wonders what he'd be like if he was still around.
yes, it is very, very selfish.

there are always alternatives to suicide, thats what i think.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think most people who commit suicide do think about this, and realise it's seflish, but they just have no choice in their eyes. I imagine a number of people who commit suicide have issues with their family, and few friends, and so there's not that many people around to suffer once they die.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
yes, it is very, very selfish.

there are always alternatives to suicide, thats what i think.
Agreed.

A lot of suicides are when the person's state of mind is messed up and therefore, not fit to think for themselves. I might be able to understand why some people take suicide but other than that, it's an easy way to 'get out' basically.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
you're only in a position to say that cause you don't know how bad life is for some people. Yes it is selfish but at the end of the day I don't see why anybody's life should revolve around keeping other people happy
sidney
Report 17 years ago
yeah but imagne what someone must actually be feeling to even consider suicide?!
I dont think they do it out of selfishness, but i see what you mean
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sidney)
yeah but imagne what someone must actually be feeling to even consider suicide?!
I dont think they do it out of selfishness, but i see what you mean
yes.

they dont do it to be selfish, just mind messed up.

But think, killing themselves will make their family distraught for years, often the rest of their lives.

I cant condone this as acceptable, its pretty hurrendous.
There are always alternatives.

Why not just run away - ok, its bad, but better than death if it got to such a stage of depression.
Custard
Rep:
?
I understand all your veiws, but it hurts so very, very much!
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I understand all your veiws, but it hurts so very, very much!
what hurts? Did u know someone who commited suicide?
sidney
Report 17 years ago
it does indeed hurt, i think that people just feel they have no where else to turn to.
Sometimes, they might do it because they think other peoples lives will be better if they are not around. I know this is not true, but it may be what they think......... does any of that make sense? sorry if it doesnt
Custard
Rep:
?
I've read a few of kurt cobains pages of his journel, and he was messed up! It really has to be said people like him don't know what they are doing.

I'm talking about like parents, people who are loved. There is this girl in my classes and she tryed commiting suicide becaus this lad said she was a bad kisser.

Pethetic!! And attention seeking
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've read a few of kurt cobains pages of his journel, and he was messed up! It really has to be said people like him don't know what they are doing.

I'm talking about like parents, people who are loved. There is this girl in my classes and she tryed commiting suicide becaus this lad said she was a bad kisser.

Pethetic!! And attention seeking
You couldn't possibly know what its like in someone else's head so you shouldn't label them as pathetic and attention seeking just because you can't understand.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Toyosi)
you're only in a position to say that cause you don't know how bad life is for some people. Yes it is selfish but at the end of the day I don't see why anybody's life should revolve around keeping other people happy
because if you dont keep people happy they commit suicide. its a viscious circle!
Custard
Rep:
?
what hurts? Did u know someone who commited suicide?
I can't begin to explain what is happening in peoples lifes but I've just seen a man who I deeply respect break down into tears talking about someone he knew. My sister best friend dad. My best friends uncle has, and she is deverstated, and can't watch them with out been torn up inside. If its making me cry just thinking about watching them think about, what do others feel.
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I was once in the situation, extremely close to suicide and I have to say that NOONE, that is NOONE can judge the selfishness of a suicidal unless they have been suicidal themselves. At the time, it feels like there is no alternative, each minute that you live through is full of pain, anger and sadness, and you just cant see the love that other people may have for you. For me I felt that my suicide would help more people than it would hurt. Yes, now I have come through it and I can see how many people it could have hurt, and how much better life has become since I sought help. But if someone is suicidal, selfishness doesnt come into it, if you know someone is suicidal, get help for them!
Custard
Rep:
?
You couldn't possibly know what its like in someone else's head so you shouldn't label them as pathetic and attention seeking just because you can't understand.
But i do know whats going on her head, shes a popular ***** and her popularity was down, she slit her wrist across, and showed every one the scars. All of a sudden people were jumping out of queues for her! Besides my friend talks to her and nothing was going on around that time that could make her think about it.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by onlylittleme)
I was once in the situation, extremely close to suicide and I have to say that NOONE, that is NOONE can judge the selfishness of a suicidal unless they have been suicidal themselves. At the time, it feels like there is no alternative, each minute that you live through is full of pain, anger and sadness, and you just cant see the love that other people may have for you. For me I felt that my suicide would help more people than it would hurt. Yes, now I have come through it and I can see how many people it could have hurt, and how much better life has become since I sought help. But if someone is suicidal, selfishness doesnt come into it, if you know someone is suicidal, get help for them!
i have also felt suicidal

it turned out, that the person who i despised, absolutely ahted, my dad, was the only one who cared.

just goes to show, he may b full of mistakes, but at least he was bothered and asked questions etc.

i respect him for that.

btw: suicide is selfish, regardless of how one feels.

At least try talking about it first, gain help etc.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But i do know whats going on her head, shes a popular ***** and her popularity was down, she slit her wrist across, and showed every one the scars. All of a sudden people were jumping out of queues for her! Besides my friend talks to her and nothing was going on around that time that could make her think about it.
slitting wrists to gain popularity, wow, how cool. (hint of sarcasm there)

i thought thinking that taking drugs/being addicted is cool, was bad enough....

this just seems pathetic.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by onlylittleme)
Exactly, you have the overwhelming feeling that by dying you'll improve everyone elses life in the long run even if they're sad for a day or two.

Selfishness has got nothing to do with it, most people don't see there as being _any_ other choice.

Alaric.
pedy1986
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We have a fudamental right to life, and we have a right to do whatever we wish with it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (380)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (285)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (361)
14.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.67%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.04%
Loneliness (218)
8.49%
Financial worries (94)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (225)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (242)
9.43%

Watched Threads