This discussion is closed.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by corey)
and we have a right to do whatever we wish with it.
according to whom?

not if it hurts other people it doesnt.
pedy1986
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
according to whom?

not if it hurts other people it doesnt.
Basic Human Rights say that we have a right to life - surely that entails the right to end ones life.
Custard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
My friend, she was so happy on the exteriro then over a period of a few days when so dark she'd laugh about people dying then wish it upon herself. I watched the transformation. I sat her down and she told me everything. I was hysterical by the time she finished but she showed me the scars. I help her, i tryed my hardest and so did someother friends and now she is like she used to be apart from the sick depth that she experianced is still there, not as twisted. It hurts to know you friends ants to stop. I makes you feel like you are not good enough!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Exactly, you have the overwhelming feeling that by dying you'll improve everyone elses life in the long run even if they're sad for a day or two.

Selfishness has got nothing to do with it, most people don't see there as being _any_ other choice.

Alaric.
yes, that is very true.

perhaps if people were more caring and bothered about the suicidal person, then mayb it wouldnt get to that.

its the "i never spoke to him, never gave a toss, but when he kills himself i suddenly become upset."

if people were more considerate and caring in the 1st place, then mayb perfectly nice people wouldnt b suicidal.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Basic Human Rights say that we have a right to life - surely that entails the right to end ones life.
no... :confused:
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Not when you have aloving family and friends who care about you.
thats what i said.
sidney
Report 17 years ago
my best friend was really close to it, and it was only after we found her in the school toilet unconcious from an overdose that we realised how serious things were. Loads of boys were being nasty all the time and her dad used to hit her so she thought it was the only thing she could do to make every thing stop.
Its still sad to think about
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why do we have Human rights? We have Human rights because we value them, we value the freedom and autonomy that they give the individual.
The free action to take ones own life, if they see it as the option they want should be respected. It only directly affects that individual.
Custard
Rep:
?
Exactly, you may be messed up but if you just sat down and thought about it for one second instead of thinking about your self and the pain, and think of others who are a hell of alot more worse off, you may get some where in life!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Its not always like that at all. In fact very different.
that wasnt referring to all suicidal feeling people, it was just one reason.

that was pretty obvious.

often, i would say that it is true - people feeling lonely - if people did care, then they would approach them.

i know this isnt true for a lot of people, but a lot of people feeling suicidal have had no1 to talk to them.

it must b obivous a lot of the time if some1 is hideously depressed - yet no1 approached them and say "r u ok".
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Custard)
Exactly, you may be messed up but if you just sat down and thought about it for one second instead of thinking about your self and the pain, and think of others who are a hell of alot more worse off, you may get some where in life!
What you all seem to be saying is, look suicide is selfish, nobody should do it!

Why don't you start advocating the criminalization of it?
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes but some people may not have those loving family and friends, or may not have family and friends who openly show their love for them. My parents never felt the need to show how much they loved me, they constantly put me down, and it is only now that I am past that that I know deep down inside they love me. Actions of my friends also made me feel unloved, and this as well as lots of other aspects of my life made me feel that my life was worthless.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes but the person I know who commited suicide had everything going for them.
Yes...so you agree with me?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Why do we have Human rights? We have Human rights because we value them, we value the freedom and autonomy that they give the individual.
The free action to take ones own life, if they see it as the option they want should be respected. It only directly affects that individual.
although i disagree corey, that is a good argument nevertheless.

you do have a point - otherwise it could get to the stage where people are forced to live for the sake of not hurting others. which wouldn't be worth it i suppose, if they felt to strongly about it.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes but the person I know who commited suicide had everything going for them.
:eek:
sidney
Report 17 years ago
do you think some people purposely fake suide to get attention? by that i mean, taking an accidental overdose, but not enough to actually kill you
Custard
Rep:
?
There are a lot of different situations in which you find yourself. If you did something terrible and can't live with your self. You get bullied, sexual abuse, violence. I haven't got the answer for everything, i wish i could twirl my magic wand and you'd feel better. But i can't, no one can! But please think.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by onlylittleme)
Yes but some people may not have those loving family and friends, or may not have family and friends who openly show their love for them. My parents never felt the need to show how much they loved me, they constantly put me down, and it is only now that I am past that that I know deep down inside they love me. Actions of my friends also made me feel unloved, and this as well as lots of other aspects of my life made me feel that my life was worthless.
link that to to a few of my posts and you see what i mean.

people often be suicidal because no1 cares - they dont get a person approaching them saying "whats wrong, you want to talk. i am ahre to be supportive."

that was my point - many wont feel so crap if people actually looked around them and were more considerate.
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sidney)
do you think some people purposely fake suide to get attention? by that i mean, taking an accidental overdose, but not enough to actually kill you
Yes, I know someone like this, and I know people who have turned their backs against her because of the pettyness of it. It is an extremely selfish and disgusting thing to do, but to be honest if someone did this then they obviously are in dire need of some help. If they had to go this fair to get attention, they are obviously really in the situation, or there is something seriously wrong causing them to go that far to get attention.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I doubt you know anyone who has commited suicide. It hasnt effected you. It effects the person I'm closest to every day. It hurts that person more than anything.
Your flawed in your argument, you aren't looking at the wider picture which is coming down to 'Can suicide be (morally?) justified'. Looking at one case and claiming that to defeat my point is stupid.

Your saying we don't have an autonomous right to our own lives, our own human rights?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.74%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.91%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.18%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.81%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.12%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.76%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.73%

Watched Threads